U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 10:47 AM

46 posts, read 62,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieSherry View Post
Arizona has a Proposition as well.
Arizona Proposition 102, known by its supporters as the Marriage Protection Amendment, will appear on the November 4, 2008 ballot in Arizona as a legislatively-referred constitutional amendment. If enacted, it will amend the Arizona Constitution to define marriage as between one man and one woman.
State law already prohibits same-sex marriage, and Arizona courts have upheld that ban. However, ban supporters contend it also needs to be in the Constitution in order to prevent future court rulings in favor of same-sex marriage.
Arizona is the only state whose voters have rejected a same-sex marriage ban. The 2006 rejection of Proposition 107 was widely attributed to provisions interpreted to prohibit government recognition of domestic partnerships and civil unions. [1]

I will support same sex marriage. Why?

Because there is so much prejudice in this country and a person who has been prejudiced against as a woman, age difference between my husband and I, physical defect, age, etc..

So, I feel as though just living my life there are enough prejudices and struggles. Who is my government to tell me who I can marry based on gender? Personally, I could care less what other people do. I feel if I was perfect and walk on water and heal the sick and bring back the dead, then maybe I wold feel differently but for now I am concentrating on making myself better all ways possible.
Thank you for your support. We all certainly appreciate those who protect the rights of others.

Old 10-17-2008, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
It wasn't a point of confusion to me at all, the point I was making is that the state budgets are all predicated on certain funding and expenditure streams, and the legalization of gay marriages wasn't factored into the budgets.

Perhaps it is revenue and expense neutral, but I would like to see an independent analysis of this impact.
Im sorry, but I dont think its even close to revenue and expense neutral. It will obviously bring more money into the state due to tourism taxes, sales taxes, licensing fees, and those who move here like me will be paying full California taxes on everything in the near future.

In addition, local businesses have seen an increase in activity and sales.

May I ask how you plan to vote on proposition 8? You won't be judged by me, i promise.

Old 10-17-2008, 11:02 AM

13,450 posts, read 15,887,463 times
Sacramento Opinion - Sacramento Editorial | Sacramento Bee (http://www.sacbee.com/110/story/1320937.html - broken link)

Article in today's Sac Bee

Old 10-17-2008, 11:12 AM

New to CA.

That article is quite biased dont you think?

It mentions the same rhetoric used on the misleading commercials that says that churches will be forced to marry same sex couples.

This is absolutely and completely false. Churches have never been forced to marry anyone and never will be.

It also states that the "right" to marry isn't real?? That is also entirely false. The courts determined that not allowing others to marry was very similar to segregation. These same arguments were used to defend segregation, that black people had every right white people did, they just had to do it in the black person line, or drink from the black person fountain. They're allowed to marry, they just have to keep it within their own race.

Not allowing gays and lesbians to participate in marriage is the same as assigning them a seat in the back of the bus or forcing them to go to different schools.

The article also argued that courts aren't supposed to be making these decisions. If that is your belief then a constitutional ammendment should be made to reverse the activist courts decision in Perez v. Sharp. It was also only a 4 to 3 margin. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perez_v._Sharp Would you vote yes on a proposition that eliminated this right? By the argument that the sacramento bee made, in 1948 this right also wouldn't have been "real."

But the "right" is very real, and we are exercising that right while we still can.

Has anything bad happened to you since gay people began marrying in California?

NewtoCA, I am interested in a civilized conversation. Will you participate???

Sincerely,
No on Prop 8

Old 10-17-2008, 11:17 AM

Already posted sentiments and rationale behind them, as have others in prior threads.

You disagree, as is your prerogative.

Soon, it goes to a vote.

Old 10-17-2008, 11:38 AM

10,551 posts, read 9,176,028 times
Quote:
Sacramento Opinion - Sacramento Editorial | Sacramento Bee (http://www.sacbee.com/110/story/1320937.html - broken link)

Article in today's Sac Bee
the author of that "enlightening" article is a right wing zealot who was a former speechwriter for gov. deukmejian. she is one biased view for the Yes on 8 cause. I'm sure anyone could easily find an opinion for the "no on 8" cause. here is a "no on 8" opinion from the same newspaper:

http://www.sacbee.com/1195/story/1311238.html (broken link)

Last edited by wehotex; 10-17-2008 at 12:04 PM..

Old 10-17-2008, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Already posted sentiments and rationale behind them, as have others in prior threads.

You disagree, as is your prerogative.

Soon, it goes to a vote.
So you are not even willing to talk it out? Feel the other side's point of view? Are you willing to hear how your vote will effect my life?

Chris

Last edited by caldje; 10-17-2008 at 12:27 PM..

Old 10-17-2008, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caldje View Post
So you are not even willing to talk it out? Feel the other side's point of view? Are you willing to hear how your vote will effect my life?

Chris
I already know how my vote impacts folks, however everyone has their individual angst.

Not interested in being your counterpoint strawman to blog on the forum, sorry. I responded in light of your original posting, and that was sufficient for me.

Frankly, I find the issue much less interesting than other initiatives, but I didn't see anyone initiating discussions concerning Prop 7 or others.

Based on the original propositions thread, this appears to be the hot button, so we all will just have our say come election day.

Old 10-17-2008, 01:52 PM

10,216 posts, read 13,357,515 times
Many have read my thoughts in another thread. I think the thing we need to remember is to vote. I am voting yes on 8 and allow all others the right to make up their own minds. I fail to see how that creates an atmosphere of hate on my part though. I also fail to see how the issues that have faced all peoples of color can relate to the struggles that people attracted to the same sex have.

Old 10-17-2008, 02:02 PM

9,643 posts, read 10,641,754 times
All the talk in the world is not going to change the minds of anyone on here, if folks are going to vote yes or no they are not going to change, their minds are made up by now based on how they believe and how they feel, just because someone votes yes doesn't mean their anti gay or a bigot or a republican bible carrying gun totting racist, I'll speak for myself, I'm not threatened by Gay marriage, I just don't see two men or women as husband and wife, I'm all for civil unions and I'm all for Gays trying to expand those unions to increase the benefits to them, I don't care if the union allows the exact same rights as marriage I would vote for it but as I said two men do not equal husband and wife in my eyes and i mean that with no disrespect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California