Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2007, 07:44 PM

15 posts, read 73,805 times

Advertisements

I have been talking with a large aerospace company in Palmdale about a position which is expected to open up soon due to a retirement. They have told me it could happen any day and that they would want to talk to me at that time. So I'm trying to learn as much about the area as I can in case things happen fast.
I've been keeping an eye on these forums, especially those concerning Palmdale/Lancaster, and frankly they're starting to scare me away. Tehachapi sounds nice too but the commute would get old REAL fast. From everything I've read so far, the Santa Clarita area sounds like the best bet but that it is pricey. I currently live in Wisconsin where houses are cheap and if I end up getting the job I would not be able to afford a house in California. Even if I had the money I would never buy a house until I got to know the area and decided I liked it enough to stay there a long time. So the plan would be to rent and save for at least a couple of years.
My question is, What could I expect a nice, clean one or two bedroom apartment to rent for in Santa Clarita in a newer building in a attractive, quiet, safe neighborhood? How would this compare to other communities between Santa Clarita and Palmdale. I would be moving alone so schools are not an issue. Rural areas would be fine too, I don't care about nightlife or entertainment.
Thanks a lot for the advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2007, 07:54 PM

178 posts, read 735,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohawk41 View Post
I have been talking with a large aerospace company in Palmdale about a position which is expected to open up soon due to a retirement. They have told me it could happen any day and that they would want to talk to me at that time. So I'm trying to learn as much about the area as I can in case things happen fast.
I've been keeping an eye on these forums, especially those concerning Palmdale/Lancaster, and frankly they're starting to scare me away. Tehachapi sounds nice too but the commute would get old REAL fast. From everything I've read so far, the Santa Clarita area sounds like the best bet but that it is pricey. I currently live in Wisconsin where houses are cheap and if I end up getting the job I would not be able to afford a house in California. Even if I had the money I would never buy a house until I got to know the area and decided I liked it enough to stay there a long time. So the plan would be to rent and save for at least a couple of years.
My question is, What could I expect a nice, clean one or two bedroom apartment to rent for in Santa Clarita in a newer building in a attractive, quiet, safe neighborhood? How would this compare to other communities between Santa Clarita and Palmdale. I would be moving alone so schools are not an issue. Rural areas would be fine too, I don't care about nightlife or entertainment.
Don't move to Palmdale and Lancaster.. you need to type it in the search
area above and you'll see a bunch of posters telling you why!!
Santa Clarita is nice... punch in craigslist los angeles and it will bring
up apartments ..you can look in santa clarita or wherever you wish on
your computer.

Old 02-19-2007, 09:46 AM

3,051 posts, read 11,591,064 times
Most likely, you will find rent in the Santa Clarita area to be rather high. Most of Santa Clarita is an upper-middle-class area, and the rent is charged accordingly. You might want to check out the communities west of Palmdale, such as Lake Elizabeth, Lake Hughes, Green Valley, Neenach, Antelope Acres, or Three Points. Most of these are small, rural communities within about a thirty minute drive of Palmdale, that have few amenities, but they haven't experienced the same growth as Santa Clarita and Palmdale. You would have to travel to either Palmdale or Santa Clarita for groceries and most other shopping. For these reasons, I believe you should be able to find an affordable rental in one of these areas, though I haven't checked any listings.

Old 02-21-2007, 08:50 PM

15 posts, read 73,805 times
Default appreciate the help

Thanks for the advice on various communities east of Palmdale. Craigslist was also very helpful.

Old 02-22-2007, 03:13 PM

1,082 posts, read 3,779,676 times
Quote:
Thanks for the advice on various communities east of Palmdale. Craigslist was also very helpful.
There are nice areas in Lancaster and Palmdale. Stay west. West Lancaster and West Palmdale is well worth the look, also parts of Kern county are inexpensive and well within commuting distance.
MBG

Old 03-02-2007, 03:46 AM

5 posts, read 23,193 times
Unhappy Palmdale Area: The Antelope Valley

PALMDALE IS HORRABLE! AS I THE REST OF THE ANTELOPE VALLEY. If you could adjust to the desert mojave is afordable,a small town and friendly. Tehachapi is beautifull and life depends on the neighborhood. I've lived with in 60 miles of Edwards for 30 years and found this to be the scoop: crime is rising; gangs are moving up from LA. Rentals are impossable to find unless you want to pay a primium price, without hitting the pavement and looking. comuting isnt bad really, not much traffic, you can pretty much depend on a mile a minut in traveling. The sunrises and sun-sets are spetacular in the desert so you just kick back and enjoy! The wind averages 30 miles pr hr. or so all year long it seems -- but-- no smog. good luck!!
Quote:

Old 03-05-2007, 05:57 PM

1,082 posts, read 3,779,676 times
Mohawk, I live in West Palmdale.. we are moving because of the commute to Los Angeles. There are some great places to live here if you are working here!
Stay on the West side and you can find some nice properties in good areas.
Santa Clarita, is a bad joke, the planning was so poor, the infrastructure cannot support the residents that are already there, let alone all the new construction... stay far away from that over priced trap.
The wind is not what they are saying. Windy mostly during summer nights. But 30 miles all year..not!! Right now out my window it is still as can be!
The weather here is good summer nights are great!!
If you are young, LA for nighlife on the week ends is not so bad, snow is 45 min away.
I am not a fan of LA, but maybe that has come with age!!
MBG

Old 11-08-2007, 09:15 AM

1 posts, read 5,879 times
HOME FOR RENT: Move in available December 1, 2007. In the Castaic, CA 91384. Built in 1987, approximately 2000 sq.ft. Freshly painted. 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, formal livingroom, dining room, fireplace, large family room, loft, 2 car garage w/storage cabinets, quiet neighborhood, cul-de-sac, ceramic tile floors, carpeting, granite counters, stainless steel appliances, (washer and dryer if you need). Jacuzzi, patio (with furniture if needed). Gardener will care for the grounds at my expense. $2,300 monthly rent. 1 year lease agreement. Utilities and (Optional Security System Fee) your responsibility. Include your email and I will forward pics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California