U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2013, 05:47 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 8,673,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierravillian View Post
All the words in the world cannot dispute the pure and simple FACT, that there is no more than a 6% difference between the taxes of CA and the lowest taxed state. and, in any state with a state income tax, any statement reflecting percentage of income paid in taxes is subject to serious reduction. CA state income tax paid is easily and legally brought to near nothing.
So then how to you support the simple FACT that you will pay over 6% state income tax on a salary over 100K for a single person in CA verses a state that has no state income tax?

On top of that the % of taxes that you pay for other things?

California Income Tax Brackets 2013
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2013, 05:52 PM

211 posts, read 269,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
So then how to you support the simple FACT that you will pay over 6% state income tax on a salary over 100K for a single person in CA?

California Income Tax Brackets 2013
There appears to be something you don't understand. You appear to be immune to understanding. But, anyone making over 100K and paying 6% apparently knows as much about taxes as you do, which does not seem to be much.

I have a pretty good income, a bit less than 100k, and I pay very little CA income tax, making my effective tax rate far less than Texas. And, I am not the lone ranger here.

Old 05-14-2013, 06:25 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
Quote:
There appears to be something you don't understand. You appear to be immune to understanding. But, anyone making over 100K and paying 6% apparently knows as much about taxes as you do, which does not seem to be much.

I have a pretty good income, a bit less than 100k, and I pay very little CA income tax, making my effective tax rate far less than Texas. And, I am not the lone ranger here.
If I am so immune then please enlighten me instead of tying to insult me.

I asked a simple question.

Let's try this again:

So then how to you support the simple FACT that you will pay over 6% state income tax on a salary over 100K for a single person in CA verses a state that has no state income tax?

Old 05-14-2013, 06:30 PM

211 posts, read 269,211 times
Let me say this again, if you cannot figure out how to pay less than the standard, you need to do a lot of research, and get a new accountant.

I am happy that you pay California more than you need to. helps pay for our fine infrastructure and services.

You have not shown that you are familiar with the tax code, it is worth your while to study.

Old 05-14-2013, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Let me say this again, if you cannot figure out how to pay less than the standard, you need to do a lot of research, and get a new accountant.

I am happy that you pay California more than you need to. helps pay for our fine infrastructure and services.

You have not shown that you are familiar with the tax code, it is worth your while to study.
That is exactly what I thought...it's apparent that you are the one who is not familiar since you can't answer a simple question.

That has been my experience since moving to CA...most folks here don't really understand the tax system.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:22 PM

19 posts, read 14,956 times
Sales Tax is tough to avoid, unless you want to live like Ted Kaczynski.

Property taxes are tough to avoid unless you want to live like Ted Kaczynski

However income tax federal or state are easy to reduce with proper financial planning.

Stating that California has an 11.5 % tax rate overstates the effective rate.

Paying 6% on $100,000 would happen if the payer has no deductions, which would be poor financial planning.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Roosevelt View Post
Paying 6% on $100,000 would happen if the payer has no deductions, which would be poor financial planning.
A person with a gross adjusted income of 100K who has 20K in deductions will still pay appro.x 5% in CA state taxes. How is this poor financial planning?

Old 05-14-2013, 09:53 PM

19 posts, read 14,956 times
Seriously, you don't even know how little you know. Start with this:
Quote:
But even though the official top tax rate in California is around 9.5 percent, or 10.5 percent if you make more than $1 million per year, few pay that rate. Statistics from the Franchise Tax Board show:

2,430 upper-income households paid no taxes and another 5,366 paid less than 1 percent in 2008, the most recent year for comprehensive data. Although that amounts to just 1 percent of the total, those numbers have risen sharply over the past decade. In 1997, only 579 people in the upper-income bracket paid zero taxes.
Roughly half of the upper-income households paid state income taxes ranging from 3 to 7 percent.
Only 4 percent paid above 9 percent.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:01 PM

75 posts, read 84,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T Roosevelt View Post
Seriously, you don't even know how little you know. Start with this:
I absolutely cannot see how that relates to the proposed 100k earnings scenario. Which is probably more common for posters on this board, whom I generally assume are middle class Californians.

You have been asked a direct question. Might you share your apparently super-secret information?

Old 05-14-2013, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClovisCowboy View Post
I absolutely cannot see how that relates to the proposed 100k earnings scenario. Which is probably more common for posters on this board, whom I generally assume are middle class Californians.

You have been asked a direct question. Might you share your apparently super-secret information?
Exactly...not one of the naysayers can come up with a straight answer to my simple question.

The below info is from this link California | Tax Foundation

California's State and Local Tax Burden Above National Average

California's 2010 tax burden of 11.23% ranks 4th highest out of 50 states, and is above the national average of 9.9%. California's taxpayers pay $4934 per capita in state and local taxes.

And I will post this link one more time California Income Tax Brackets 2013

Just put in 100K with 20K of detuctions for a single filer and you see you are paying approx 5% in CA State Income Taxes.

Nice when you can back up what you say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or