U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 06:57 AM

24,638 posts, read 9,567,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Never thought of it that way. Perhaps that's because with Chicago you get correuption.
Ha! I'm sure that's part of it.

It's symbolic more than anything else. It's the HQ for the Big Ten (note: anyone moving to the Midwest needs to realize the huge role of sports...especially football...for the locals) and the lone city with its own unique "feel".

Generally speaking, if you've been to Cleveland then you've essentially been to Akron, Toledo, Detroit, Flint, Gary, Milwaukee, Duluth, etc. And if you've been to Indianapolis then you've essentially been to Columbus, Minneapolis, etc.

I'm being very broad again. Once more, please don't bash me too much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 07:11 AM

23,605 posts, read 31,371,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
The closest thing to socially liberal you'll get will be found in the small college towns.
Just re-read your post. I missed this the first time around. What I've found is that by-and-large, cities tend to be quite liberal while suburbs and rural areas are far more conservative. Unfortunately, big cities have high population numbers which tend to skew election results. You're right about college towns and more's the pity. Colleges should be teaching facts, not political ideology.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:41 AM

24,638 posts, read 9,567,167 times
Quote:
Just re-read your post. I missed this the first time around. What I've found is that by-and-large, cities tend to be quite liberal while suburbs and rural areas are far more conservative. Unfortunately, big cities have high population numbers which tend to skew election results. You're right about college towns and more's the pity. Colleges should be teaching facts, not political ideology.
I agree. To a certain extent younger folks are going to be more liberal anyway. I know I'm more conservative now than when I was in my late teens/early 20s. Maybe it depends on your "starting point" when it comes to that.

It's an interesting situation...the college town/urban/rural dynamic. Take Athens, Ohio, home of Ohio University, for example.

OU is situated in southeastern Ohio which is Appalachian culture to the core. Northern European ancestry, farmers, guns & God, salt of the earth.

But OU is a liberal school known for journalism and media (or what passes for journalism I should say). NBC's Matt Laurer attended the university. The kids cause the county to lean left on economic AND social issues. When Ohio voted on DOMA Athens went left. Obama won the county twice.

Go five...make that three...minutes off campus and you'll find the locals who are extremely socially conservative.

Just weird that they all live there together.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:47 AM

7,150 posts, read 8,771,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Ha! I'm sure that's part of it.

It's symbolic more than anything else. It's the HQ for the Big Ten (note: anyone moving to the Midwest needs to realize the huge role of sports...especially football...for the locals) and the lone city with its own unique "feel".

Generally speaking, if you've been to Cleveland then you've essentially been to Akron, Toledo, Detroit, Flint, Gary, Milwaukee, Duluth, etc. And if you've been to Indianapolis then you've essentially been to Columbus, Minneapolis, etc.

I'm being very broad again. Once more, please don't bash me too much.
As a native of Detroit, and former resident of the Twin cities (St. Paul side), and with notches in my belt re: two wives from the Iron Range / Duluth -- I will concur with much in your broad generalizations -- except for the 'Dulute' part (that would be Duluth for you outliers) ... another world up there in the Yuupper (N. MI) and Iron Range.

As someone remarked to my first, now late, wife, upon learning of her origins and upbringing: "Ah, the Iron Range! Where they drink hard, curse like the worst of sailors, fight blood and bone [at the drop of a hockey stick] ... and the men are worse!"

A savage land, indeed. The marriages have not been dull ...

Old 07-22-2013, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Yeah, but maybe what you and many are calling "political ideologies" -- umm -- are the facts ... Interesting how places of learning are all considered "liberal" ... "Learning" ... "Liberal" ...

Old 07-22-2013, 04:22 PM

2 posts, read 1,758 times
Thank you for your information. I appreciate it very much. I was looking into something like a small country town like where I'm from here in Ca. Something with about 2000 to 4000 people in it. I have been through a lot of different states but I liked the burns harbor area of Indiana, I also like Oklahoma and the I-80 area of Nebraska and Iowa but would like to look around a little more in those states. I'm not to fond of the northern states like Montana, North Dakota, parts of Idaho, or Wisconsin. I guess what I'm am looking for is a place that is inexpensive to live and easy to survive with some land and a decent home. Something around 50,000 to 100,000 dollars with low property tax and the government doesn't tell you NO all the time like here in Ca. I mean, what is this country coming to when our freedom and the american dream is so close to being pulled out from under us. When I was growing up, the american dream was plentiful and my grandparents could make it on one income. Now we have to have two or three incomes just to barely scrape by. Its sad what this country has come to. By the time my kids get old enough to have something, they won't be able to afford anything. What a sad country america has turned into. Anyway, thank you for you response and the information you have given.

Old 07-22-2013, 04:28 PM
zdg

841 posts, read 1,702,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkhermansen View Post
I mean, what is this country coming to when our freedom and the american dream is so close to being pulled out from under us.
I know I shouldn't do this, but what freedom and what dream is close to being pulled out from under us?

Old 07-22-2013, 06:01 PM

Quote:
... I mean, what is this country coming to when our freedom and the american dream is so close to being pulled out from under us. When I was growing up, the american dream was plentiful and my grandparents could make it on one income. Now we have to have two or three incomes just to barely scrape by. Its sad what this country has come to. By the time my kids get old enough to have something, they won't be able to afford anything. What a sad country america has turned into. Anyway, thank you for you response and the information you have given.
Perhaps what is worth pondering is how the American Dream came to be a disgrace of wasteful, unsustainable indulgence that could never be extended to but barely a minor fraction of the rest of the world ... And then flaunted as a benchmark for "civilized" living, though it was unattainable.

I agree America has become a sad example.

You need to rethink your disappointment.

Old 07-22-2013, 06:11 PM

9,197 posts, read 13,966,653 times
Quote:
When I was growing up, the american dream was plentiful and my grandparents could make it on one income. Now we have to have two or three incomes just to barely scrape by. Its sad what this country has come to.
Back then, nobody talked about 1% and 99%. But, very unfortunately, this is the new normal. The reality of "the dream" necessarily needs to be re-examined amidst this new normal. Affording a home in CA, for example.

Old 07-22-2013, 07:56 PM

17,413 posts, read 10,500,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Back then, nobody talked about 1% and 99%. But, very unfortunately, this is the new normal. The reality of "the dream" necessarily needs to be re-examined amidst this new normal. Affording a home in CA, for example.
Unfortunately the dream was fulfilled and then ... it was over. Now we are looking at the American nightmare?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or