Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 05:40 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
The trees are nice. The people...meh. A mixed bag that that just doesn't wash.
They don't have showers or tubs in Spokane? Who knew?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 05:48 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,836,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
They don't have showers or tubs in Spokane? Who knew?
Judging by the zombie riff-raff, this may not be far off the mark. Think West Virginia.

Old 07-23-2013, 06:54 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,893,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
...Think West Virginia.
What is a song by John Denver, for 100 Alex?

Old 07-23-2013, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
What is a song by John Denver, for 100 Alex?
"Take me Home, Country Roads" to the place I belong, West Virginia, mountain momma, take me home country roads.

Sumpin like that?

Thought about WV for retirement but am glad we didn't end up there since The Emperor wants to totally ruin its economy.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:12 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,893,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
"Take me Home, Country Roads" to the place I belong, West Virginia, mountain momma, take me home country roads.

Sumpin like that?

Thought about WV for retirement but am glad we didn't end up there since The Emperor wants to totally ruin its economy.
Problems looming somewhere besides California? Who knew?

Old 07-23-2013, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Problems looming somewhere besides California? Who knew?
Why, it's downright stupefying!

Our power cooperative serving SW MO and NW AR (cheap rates) just put on-line the newest, most modern, clean coal power generating station in the country exceeding the clean air requirements in place at the time the permit to build was issued. Now, thanks to the "New" EPA and their latest regs, it will be the only one ever built in this country. But by all means, let's starve Appalachians some more. After all, some of them are still alive!

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 07-23-2013 at 07:23 PM..

Old 07-24-2013, 12:10 AM

231 posts, read 590,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
I left Sunny California almost 2 years ago.

Moved to teee-rashy Spokane, Washington....a city full of fatcart people, Honey-boo-boo children and tweaked-out zombies that will steal anything that is not bolted down.

More fata**es in this city than ANYWHERE I have ever lived..........and the smoking rate has to be at least 60%.
I left Sunny California three years ago and everything you describe that is horrible about Spokane can be found in abundance in Southern California too. It all depends on where you CHOOSE to live in either place. In Spokane I avoid the Valley, Hillyard, West Central. In Southern California I avoid Stanton, Garden Grove, Westminster. Etc, Etc. 3 million plus people in the Orange County area vs 600 thousand people in Spokane/CDA area. I would argue all the negatives listed by you are actually in greater abundance in Sunny California. People see what they want to see. Misery loves company.

Old 07-25-2013, 11:24 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,721,070 times
I feel kind of crazy saying this on this thread, but after my last vacation in California I gave serious thought about what it would be like to live there. The state is beautiful and has such diversity in its economy and people groups. For me, the place (Orange County) had a great "vibe" about it. I was entertaining the dream until I was awakened by the reality of what it would cost to live there! Traffic was a nightmare, but I was willing to brave it. I know why people want to live there, I just don't know how they are able to afford it?!

Old 07-26-2013, 01:16 AM

19,201 posts, read 16,675,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
I feel kind of crazy saying this on this thread, but after my last vacation in California I gave serious thought about what it would be like to live there. The state is beautiful and has such diversity in its economy and people groups. For me, the place (Orange County) had a great "vibe" about it. I was entertaining the dream until I was awakened by the reality of what it would cost to live there! Traffic was a nightmare, but I was willing to brave it. I know why people want to live there, I just don't know how they are able to afford it?!
Don't let that deter you. Think outside the box. Sacramento is a great place, too. And if you're a baseball fan, you can always catch a River Cats game. They aren't the Dodgers but they are ranked #1 for minor league teams.

Old 07-26-2013, 06:55 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,967,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdg View Post
Wait, this has been derailed and I'd like an actual answer please.

What is the American Dream that no longer exists? This is not rhetorical. What is it you all (not Nullgeo) think used be doable in the "good ol' days" that doesn't exist anymore?
If you lost your job, you could usually find another one quickly. Not anymore. Years looking for a job, any job, is the norm now, I'm thinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California