U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

California residents who have fled Southern California only to return, rising cost of living, Bay area, lack of infrastructure, traffic issues, traffic accidents and job opportunities

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 11:10 AM

144 posts, read 864,753 times

Advertisements

Are there any board members who have fled SoCal because of rising costs and the fact that your money can buy you a mansion in some other state only to long for southern california and then return?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2007, 11:20 AM

4,610 posts, read 10,203,351 times
We moved 2 years ago from So Calif. We will be moving back to Calif soon. I like the saying "You get what you pay for." and "There is a reason it is cheaper". People need to ask themselves, why is it cheaper in Texas and other states then California? Not just say that it is cheaper, remember there is a "reason". But everyones finances aren't the same and I bet most if not all would take California over anything else if they could afford it. I see it all the time on this board. People talking about how they moved to other states but if they could afford it they would move back. It's kinda sad.

Old 02-17-2007, 11:28 AM

2,015 posts, read 4,662,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma View Post
We moved 2 years ago from So Calif. We will be moving back to Calif soon. I like the saying "You get what you pay for." and "There is a reason it is cheaper". People need to ask themselves, why is it cheaper in Texas and other states then California? Not just say that it is cheaper, remember there is a "reason". But everyones finances aren't the same and I bet most if not all would take California over anything else if they could afford it. I see it all the time on this board. People talking about how they moved to other states but if they could afford it they would move back. It's kinda sad.
Well, Roma, I think you are 100% correct. I am a native NE Ohioan (not born in the U.S., but settled here since 1968). We lived in Southern CA for a few years in the 80's We moved back here to have our family, raise the kids, have them be close to family. I plan on moving out again (not so easy with a family).

In my business, I work on a daily basis with people from California, and I can say that there is definitely a different mindset than what I see here.

I think that when people "flee" anything, it's not always a good thing, because it might be leaving for the wrong reasons. Of course, there are those that will disagree, and perhaps leaving CA WAS good for them, based on what they were looking for, and why they were leaving in the first place.

Yes, housing is expensive. There's no denying that. However, in my opinion, housing is expensive anywhere where there is good weather, good opportunity, where people congregate due to these reasons. This is actually true across the globe. I'm currently taking a Geography of Cultural Diversity class and it is a fact that people are densily congregated at edges of continents.

I'm looking forward to coming out again in the spring or summer and take a final look at certain places I like.

Old 02-17-2007, 11:31 AM

Another thing is the herd mentality; I have serious reservations about certain states that are having a huge influx of transplants; NC being one of them. It is already apparent that the infrastructure is being taxed to the hilt. For me, I have found that what works is following the opposite of what everyone else is doing. Just an observation.

Old 02-17-2007, 11:34 AM

Should have said, "What works (FOR ME)... I realize that what works for me might not work for everyone else.

Old 02-17-2007, 11:46 AM

6,239 posts, read 15,443,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna7 View Post
Another thing is the herd mentality; I have serious reservations about certain states that are having a huge influx of transplants; NC being one of them. It is already apparent that the infrastructure is being taxed to the hilt. For me, I have found that what works is following the opposite of what everyone else is doing. Just an observation.
Donna, I would agree with you if California was actually losing population. It isn't. Instead, this state is expected to keep growing, mostly due to immigration (legal and otherwise). Because of the great weather here, job opportunities, and things to do, I seriously doubt we'll ever see California emptying out. Our infrastructure here is definitely twenty to thirty years behind what it should be, and politicians seem in no hurry to truly fix anything. The lack of foresightedness frustrates me, and that's one of the reasons I can't wait to leave.

Maybe we should all move to Detroit!

Old 02-17-2007, 12:45 PM

That's right; I don't see California emptying out EVER; even with the "problems" that I read about over and over again. The truth is that there are challenges everywhere; maybe not all the same, but certainly some of the same ones, and some new ones. Like you said, many people want to live in nice weather, and where there are things to do, opportunities, etc. My point was that people follow the herd because CNN Money or another magazine or source picks the Top 10 best places for this, for that, etc. In my opinion, there is a lot of marketing and promotion going on. Some people seem to base their decision to move based on that and then some are disappointed.

Old 02-17-2007, 06:47 PM

3,035 posts, read 13,243,728 times
What's wrong with losing the whole sense of 'fleeing' and replace that sense with one change necessary to evolve. You can always move back to CA, don't kid yourself. Sure, there will be sacrifice of some sort, but tradeoffs like this are required where ever you decide to live.

Old 02-17-2007, 07:40 PM

9,715 posts, read 13,317,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma View Post
We've been thinking about moving -- but I've lived other places and I really like the "way of life" in Southern California. I'm afraid I would be one who would leave and then want to come back!

Someone on this thread mentioned a "lack of infrastructure" and that suddenly made me think of something. You don't know bad roads/traffic until you sit on a two lane road for 6 hours because of an accident (someone else's accident) and there is no good detour!!

And on another thread, someone mentioned that there are places where "culture is something you grow on a petri dish." Yep.

Old 02-18-2007, 01:09 AM

6,239 posts, read 15,443,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
We've been thinking about moving -- but I've lived other places and I really like the "way of life" in Southern California. I'm afraid I would be one who would leave and then want to come back!

Someone on this thread mentioned a "lack of infrastructure" and that suddenly made me think of something. You don't know bad roads/traffic until you sit on a two lane road for 6 hours because of an accident (someone else's accident) and there is no good detour!!

And on another thread, someone mentioned that there are places where "culture is something you grow on a petri dish." Yep.
My daughter and I made two trips to the Bay Area last year. Both times, on the way home there was some traffic accident or hazard that backed up the 5 freeway in the middle of nowhere for hours. Once it was a brush fire caused by a big rig catching on fire, although by the time we crawled past the accident scene, there wasn't much to see. Another time it was an accident between a motor home and a pickup truck. It was unbelievable!

When I leave California, I know I'll never be able to come back. I only hope that I do my research carefully enough to never want to. I'm not a person who is sitting on a pile of equity, unfortunately.

I have heard of people who have left and then returned. I know one person who moved to Houston. She lasted six months and then came back; apparently the weather was unbearable for her. I'm a little surprised that she didn't visit and get a better feel for the climate before she decided to move there in the first place, but she's back now - a little older and a lot wiser!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or