Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 05:06 PM

2,027 posts, read 4,195,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
I think thats very sad that yes on 8 can compares to Hitler, that is so out of proportion, nobody wants to gather the gay's and gas them, it makes me wonder about peoples sanity. Any body who compares people agians't gay marriage to the Nazi's needs to seek some profession help.
Like I said, I'm not comparing a Yes on 8 vote to Hitler gassing the Jews. However, I am comparing a Yes on 8 vote to the propensity of people to pass off discrimination against a certain group as something normal. Not all Germans were Nazis. But most of them did support Hitler. They were looking for a scape goat and most of them weren't aware of the death camps, as far as they knew the Jews were being sent to labor camps. What I'm saying is that Yes on 8 people are either actively supporting or ignoring discrimination much like the Germans did during the Holocaust and much like many white people did during the civil rights era when everyone was segregated and interracial marriage was not legal. See, there's a big difference between flat out calling Yes on 8 people Nazis and saying that, much like the Germans under Hitler, they are actively supporting or at the very least ignoring some very serious discrimination issues.

Old 10-26-2008, 05:23 PM

10,009 posts, read 9,433,825 times
I agree, no way to tell what really happened. Mettler should not have gone over there, even if the signs were stolen, he should have called the police (that's what got O.J. in trouble). But also the kid on the tape said he did grab at the signs as Mettler walked away, so there is a possble feeling of a threat Mettler might of felt.

Quote:
I just can't tell what happened before the punch so I'll stay neutral and let the BPD and the DA to determine, it would be best to avoid such things, violence will not solve the problem, better to let it go or allow the police to handle it. the bad things about these protests is that it brings out trouble makers who are not there for their beliefs but just to start trouble.

Old 10-26-2008, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
I agree, no way to tell what really happened. Mettler should not have gone over there, even if the signs were stolen, he should have called the police (that's what got O.J. in trouble). But also the kid on the tape said he did grab at the signs as Mettler walked away, so there is a possble feeling of a threat Mettler might of felt.
But the other issue is whether the signs were stolen at all. There are two accounts. One is that the No on 8 people bought Yes on 8 signs. I believe they did but the signs in question were part of the latter account which was that the Yes on 8 people left a bunch of signs on that side of the street when they abandoned it. They abandoned those signs and the No on 8 people picked them up. They weren't stolen. I think the kid grabbed at the signs and Mettler reacted like you said but I'm pissed that he's now claiming that the kid swung at him and missed. I don't believe that at all. And he's only saying he won't press charges because he wants to cast doubt on the kid's story. I hope the kid presses charges for sure.

Old 10-26-2008, 10:18 PM

259 posts, read 762,735 times
I think both sides are playing dirty. I understand now when I hear people on the radio refer to them as the homosexual mafia. I always thought that was a bigoted exaggeration....boy was I wrong. There is a "mafia" out there that is bent on silencing opposition in ANY FORM. I won't be oppressed like that. I never gay bashed anything or made any threatening remarks...EVER. I have seen some things just on this forum that have disturbed me a little and I will never vote for any "pro-gay" thing on the ballot, ever again. Call me a bigot, all I am doing is REACTING to the bullcrap I have seen and read on this forum. Besides, why should I ever consider helping them out with my vote when all they do is criticize and insult my beliefs? I wasn't even against you people...I was just against the marriage part of your agenda...I voted FOR everything else! I am....once again....done with this subject. It's been hard to not to come back, but I fear that if I do come back again I might actually turn into a bigot towards gays. I don't quite hate the gay population yet, but I am not happy with their "representatives" and their constant lies and attack upon my beliefs. I will not consider moving back to the middle on this issue until I see some mutual respect publically. I'm not even speaking about religion in particular...I was "middle of the road" really and you actually NEED my vote. You'll never get the hardcore religious vote, but you've gotten my vote in the past...not in the future.

Old 10-26-2008, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapparulez View Post
I think both sides are playing dirty. I understand now when I hear people on the radio refer to them as the homosexual mafia. I always thought that was a bigoted exaggeration....boy was I wrong. There is a "mafia" out there that is bent on silencing opposition in ANY FORM. I won't be oppressed like that. I never gay bashed anything or made any threatening remarks...EVER. I have seen some things just on this forum that have disturbed me a little and I will never vote for any "pro-gay" thing on the ballot, ever again. Call me a bigot, all I am doing is REACTING to the bullcrap I have seen and read on this forum. Besides, why should I ever consider helping them out with my vote when all they do is criticize and insult my beliefs? I wasn't even against you people...I was just against the marriage part of your agenda...I voted FOR everything else! I am....once again....done with this subject. It's been hard to not to come back, but I fear that if I do come back again I might actually turn into a bigot towards gays. I don't quite hate the gay population yet, but I am not happy with their "representatives" and their constant lies and attack upon my beliefs. I will not consider moving back to the middle on this issue until I see some mutual respect publically. I'm not even speaking about religion in particular...I was "middle of the road" really and you actually NEED my vote. You'll never get the hardcore religious vote, but you've gotten my vote in the past...not in the future.
This thread wasn't directed towards you. You don't have to respond if you don't like what I have to say. I won't change my mind and you won't change your mind and that's okay. I'm just showing you that Yes on 8 supporters aren't necessarily victims in this. In more conservative areas they are often the aggressors. We don't need your anything. Your religious convictions dictated your decision on this prop. You said it yourself, you see full gay marriage as us declaring war on you and your religion. If that's the case, then you never were going to vote No, no matter what unless we created a different name for the marriages and defined gays as basically second class citizens. Sorry, but we don't need your vote because you weren't ever going to give it.

Old 10-27-2008, 01:08 AM

11,431 posts, read 18,922,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangodoodles View Post
This thread wasn't directed towards you. You don't have to respond if you don't like what I have to say. I won't change my mind and you won't change your mind and that's okay. I'm just showing you that Yes on 8 supporters aren't necessarily victims in this. In more conservative areas they are often the aggressors. We don't need your anything. Your religious convictions dictated your decision on this prop. You said it yourself, you see full gay marriage as us declaring war on you and your religion. If that's the case, then you never were going to vote No, no matter what unless we created a different name for the marriages and defined gays as basically second class citizens. Sorry, but we don't need your vote because you weren't ever going to give it.

i wish that i could rep you again- i owe you another one

Old 10-27-2008, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
i wish that i could rep you again- i owe you another one
Haha, I know, I need to spread the rep around before giving you some more.

Old 10-27-2008, 07:12 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,290,800 times
Ha ha, the video was doctored, the fight was with a punk who was there to start trouble, no charges are being filed and the case is closed, just what i thought. sorry to burst your bubbles.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Ha ha, the video was doctored, the fight was with a punk who was there to start trouble, no charges are being filed and the case is closed, just what i thought. sorry to burst your bubbles.
Sorry for being a bit skeptical but I'd really like a link to the Californian story that says that. Because I just checked the Californian website now and there is no such story up on the front page, the only story I could find was a story about the condemnation and support (from Chas Vegas of course) for Mettler.

Old 10-28-2008, 12:03 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,290,800 times
I watched it on the local news tonight, any time you have protests you are going to get these kids who are just out for trouble, their not there because of their beliefs and it doesn't matter which side they stand on, thats why when I see these things I take them with a grain of salt because theres always another side to the story. I'm sure it will be on-line tomorrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California