U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 06:09 PM

1 posts, read 8,791 times

Advertisements

Hello Everybody,
I am new to this forum and would like some advice. I am joining a company which is posting me in Fort bragg.I have to move to Fort bragg with my family. Few concern,
Is it a safe place ?..How is the daily life ?i mean is it very quite or there are some places to visit? whats the average rent and expenditure for a couple?....
any advice would be appreciated.
Thank You

Peace13
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2007, 07:10 PM

1,900 posts, read 1,814,290 times
It is a fine town, blue jeans, plaid shirts, logging and commercial fishing. The movie with Goldie Hawn, where she lost her memory when she fell off yacht.. was filmed

Old 02-19-2007, 03:16 PM

956 posts, read 4,067,937 times
I would suggest that you go to the NC Forum unless there is a Fort Bragg California I don't know about.

Old 02-19-2007, 03:37 PM

1,900 posts, read 1,814,290 times
Yup, the real one, not the copy in NC

General Ulysses S. Grant was stationed there, as a young officer, the long rainy winters drove him to drink

Old 02-19-2007, 08:58 PM

6,662 posts, read 26,212,124 times
One of my favorite towns in CA. Near Mendocino, many great state parks right on the beach. Redwood groves grow right up to the ocean. Some of the best cold water scuba diving ever.

Old 02-19-2007, 10:37 PM

777 posts, read 3,395,052 times
Good base to visit Mendocino. Brewing Company downtown is good, and there's the Skunk Train. Nice (if economically stagnant) stretch.

Old 03-03-2007, 04:22 PM

76 posts, read 255,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace13 View Post
Hello Everybody,
I am new to this forum and would like some advice. I am joining a company which is posting me in Fort bragg.I have to move to Fort bragg with my family. Few concern,
Is it a safe place ?..How is the daily life ?i mean is it very quite or there are some places to visit? whats the average rent and expenditure for a couple?....
any advice would be appreciated.
Thank You

Peace13
well laid back is not an understatement when describing fort bragg. if you have young kids i would not necessarily say that this is a good place for them when they get older. not much for them to do here. it is safe -- i guess its not crime ridden if that is what your worried about but crimes such as car break ins and thefts are on the rise.. the average rent varies if you live in the town part of fb it can be as low as 800 in a semi ok neighborhood ( hard to find tho) otherwise rent can be in the 1000- 1500 range... but realistically the real estate is blown up more than its worth here. the cost of living is very high as well. if you have kids than either shop online or be ready to make trips over the hill on a regular basis. the schools systems are questionable but look into them and see if that is what you are looking for. to me fort bragg is the kind of place you say nice place to visit but you wouldnt want to live there. but thats just me there are others that feel this way but depending on your needs and wants it can work for ya. I dont know where your coming from or what your average income will be so not sure if fb is for you or not. good luck in your search

Old 03-03-2007, 06:31 PM

76 posts, read 255,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatbasinguide View Post
It is a fine town, blue jeans, plaid shirts, logging and commercial fishing. The movie with Goldie Hawn, where she lost her memory when she fell off yacht.. was filmed

yeah the movie "overboard" was filimed here as well as murder she wrote in Mendocino but that was the early 80's alot has changed since then. the logging and commercial fishing is dwindling if not stopped altogether. the fb mill has been closed for years and no longer operational. sure you see logging trucks but not for a mill around here. as far as commercial fishing that too has almost disappeared. only a small few remain and every year we have to sign petitions to keep it going. the fort bragg of yesteryear is not that way today. only this town is in denial and thinks its the same thriving place it was.

Old 03-03-2007, 07:33 PM

1,663 posts, read 2,261,516 times
hi i think fort bragg is a nice place cold and damp though. good luck

Old 05-11-2007, 07:03 AM

1 posts, read 8,517 times
Smile I love Fort Bragg

I moved to Fort Bragg in the 80's, left to return to college and get a 'real' job. After 15 years away, pined for the coast and the community. Left the corporate world to return to this place of amazing beauty, little crime, no commute, and the nicest people you'll ever meet. OK, so it's expensive to live here (it is California after all, and you're living on the ocean). And if you like hot weather it's not for you. And there are few ways to make a living (we had to start a business), and the kids have to move away to make a living - but lots of them come back as soon as they can. Best of all, if you care about your community you can make a difference. Everyone here volunteers in some way, pick your cause and get involved. Kids, dogs, peace, environment, whatever you're passionate about, there's a group of people giving their time to make it better for the community or the world. Do not believe the old 'redneck' image of Fort Bragg - businesses are moving here from the village of Mendocino because of their outragious rents - we now have as many galleries as they do. And the 463 acres of ocean front property formerlly off-limits because it was a Georgia Pacific mill site will some day be developed (maybe even in my lifetime!) - but the development plan is being driven by the community. First good news - the entire coast line has been purchased by the Coastal Commission and will be developed as a trail.

In my opinon, you're lucky your company is transfering you here - many people would move here if they could find a way to make a living.

And yes, you have to drive an hour to get to a big-box store - and that's just the way we want it. Price you pay to live in paradise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California