U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-04-2008, 08:23 PM

754 posts, read 911,346 times
Marriage is recognized by the state because of financial reasons. Because of taxes and also rights/protection that it offers. It used to be that men could leave their wives without any fiscal responsibility. I thought it was these rights that the Gay community were fighting for. It's funny to me, how people who have no belief in organized religion care so much about this word "marriage". It just seems to me, that the smart thing to do would be to go after the rights of marriage. Put a prop on the ballot that expands the right of Domestic Partnerships/Civil Unions so that it equals the rights and protections of marriage and this issue goes away.

Also, it's useless to argue whether or not this is religious because it's already been proven that neither side is willing to budge. Even if it passes in CA, FL passed their ban by a landslide. What about the gays there? and what about the other 24 (I think) states that also have constitutional bans. The road ends with compromise, the sooner both sides realize this, the sooner this goes away.

Old 11-04-2008, 08:24 PM

61 posts, read 124,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelyinLa View Post
No matter how people want to deny that Marriage is a religious ceremony, to me it is.
Now you're showing true colors. To you.

Anybody's marriage can be performed outside of the church and it's legal.

No religion involved.

Quote:
I have to vote to uphold the rules of MY religion. You don't have to agree with me, but don't label me as a bigot or homophobe.
Here's the problem....you want to shove YOUR RELIGION down the throats of others who don't believe that stuff. You vote to uphold the rights of ALL Americans. This is not a theocracy.

And on top of that, you refuse to be labeled as discriminatory.

This is why "activist" judges have to protect the minority from the tyranny of the majority.

Have a nice evening.

Old 11-04-2008, 08:48 PM

13,419 posts, read 15,688,007 times
Quote:
Marriage is recognized by the state because of financial reasons. Because of taxes and also rights/protection that it offers. It used to be that men could leave their wives without any fiscal responsibility. I thought it was these rights that the Gay community were fighting for. It's funny to me, how people who have no belief in organized religion care so much about this word "marriage". It just seems to me, that the smart thing to do would be to go after the rights of marriage. Put a prop on the ballot that expands the right of Domestic Partnerships/Civil Unions so that it equals the rights and protections of marriage and this issue goes away.

Also, it's useless to argue whether or not this is religious because it's already been proven that neither side is willing to budge. Even if it passes in CA, FL passed their ban by a landslide. What about the gays there? and what about the other 24 (I think) states that also have constitutional bans. The road ends with compromise, the sooner both sides realize this, the sooner this goes away.

I think your approach is reasonable. I think that the rights need to be a focus, and a national discussion about a single agreed to approach to the issue.

Old 11-04-2008, 08:58 PM

754 posts, read 911,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC2Jax View Post
I grew up with people that believe ending slavery was wrong. "It has been on Earth for hundreds of years...why change it?"

If it walks like a duck...

Tell me why people are about protecting marriage, yet refuse to try and ban divorce? Isn't divorce for 99% of reasons used today not recognized in the Bible? It has nothing to do with protecting marriage...it's about denying EQUAL rights to a group of people...not special rights.

Just remember...it took many years for African-Americans to be able to even sit at the same table as white people and eat. Laws were eventually changed.

Even if states pass "protect marriage" amendments, they will be repealed by future voters as those who deny marriage equality for everybody (is that better?) will die out over the years.

It will happen one day.
I am so sick of the Gay community continuing to exploit the civil rights movement? You do realize that, trying to compare this with the civil rights movement is like trying to compare a watermelon to a peanut. If you really believe in what you're saying you should be able to stand on your own, with your own beliefs and not by throwing Civil Rights out there whenever you feel backed into a corner. I don't know anyone who is persuaded by this. It actually makes you look desperate and alienates African Americans most of whom are offended by this (I know I am). Not that you care about anyone else.

Let's remember one thing, you are fighting for the right to call yourself married, not for the rights/protection of marriage, if you were this would be over. The rights doesn't seem half as important to you as the word marriage, so how in God's name are you going to compare the civil rights movement to this, when you're not even fighting for rights?

Pathetic, I'm glad I voted Yes on 8. I'm also done with this thread.

Old 11-04-2008, 09:12 PM

14,755 posts, read 14,166,627 times
C'mon, folks, ease up.

We're making this topic interdependent, and it isn't necessarily so. There will be "liberal" people who vote(d) "Yes on 8" and there will be "conservative" people who vote(d) "No on 8."

Why do we have to be "packaged?" You know "Obama + Yes on 1 + No on 8" or "McCain + No on 1 + Yes on 8?" It doesn't work that way.

This isn't about equal rights. It's about a definition. How long have domestic partnerships been recognized? Functionally speaking, which rights are missing? I'm not getting it. It's that is HAS to be called a "marriage" and it has to be forced on a traditional institution. Does the fact that our currency has "In God We Trust" inscribed on it make it such that the bohemian antique shop or coffeehouse run by people whose religion is "spiritual" won't take is as legal tender? I doubt it. This is analogous.

Let's not be so "packaged."

Old 11-04-2008, 09:15 PM

6,700 posts, read 16,225,483 times
Polls are closed. Now comes the long wait for the results. We know our President; now we wait for the propositions.

Old 11-04-2008, 09:39 PM

61 posts, read 124,607 times
Quote:
Pathetic, I'm glad I voted Yes on 8. I'm also done with this thread.
You still haven't said why outlawing divorce isn't on the minds of those who want to protect marriage.

And we all know why.

Old 11-04-2008, 09:49 PM

259 posts, read 528,480 times
2008 General Election Returns

Click on Voter Initiatives, then click on California, then click on Prop 8 to follow the returns live. Prop 8 looks like it will pass. If Prop 8 does indeed pass, then the Gay lobby needs to put up a Prop next election to equalize Civil Unions to Traditional Marriage under state law. You'll get at least 5% of the vote with adequate advertising.

Old 11-04-2008, 09:52 PM

2,022 posts, read 2,637,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapparulez View Post
2008 General Election Returns

Click on Voter Initiatives, then click on California, then click on Prop 8 to follow the returns live. Prop 8 looks like it will pass.
Well that's pretty ****ed up considering that we are LITERALLY writing unconstitutionality into our state constitution. God I hate religious people, you guys **** everything up.

Old 11-04-2008, 09:54 PM

259 posts, read 528,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangodoodles View Post
Well that's pretty ****ed up considering that we are LITERALLY writing unconstitutionality into our state constitution. God I hate religious people, you guys **** everything up.
That is your opinion. If it is in the Constitution then it is by definition Constitutional.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California