U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-05-2008, 01:46 AM

5,655 posts, read 10,164,311 times

Advertisements

God damn, these people have spent 35 million dollars to stop other people from minding their own business. That still blows my mind. I'll bet that money could have helped a lot of people, like Jesus would have done.

Old 11-05-2008, 01:55 AM

2,022 posts, read 2,703,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
God damn, these people have spent 35 million dollars to stop other people from minding their own business. That still blows my mind. I'll bet that money could have helped a lot of people, like Jesus would have done.
For real. My dad was arguing about this with someone he works with and the guy basically said that gay marriage was against the Bible and was immoral, you know, the usual tripe and said that he had donated a good chunk of money to the Yes on 8 campaign. So my dad got fed up and asked him if he was such a good Christian why he didn't put that money towards curing AIDs, poverty, and starvation in third world countries instead of putting it towards passing a law taking away rights from minorities. Of course that guy had no answer to the question, they never do.

Old 11-05-2008, 03:06 AM

24,822 posts, read 28,383,488 times
When they interviewed voters on the street, the Yes voters said the following:
"G-d made Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve" (oy vey, that's getting old ) and "I just don't think gays should be getting married." I mean...... really?????? Wow, I'm seriously disappointed in my fellow Californians right now.

Old 11-05-2008, 03:33 AM

10,647 posts, read 9,436,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
When they interviewed voters on the street, the Yes voters said the following:
"G-d made Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve" (oy vey, that's getting old ) and "I just don't think gays should be getting married." I mean...... really?????? Wow, I'm seriously disappointed in my fellow Californians right now.

i'm also disappointed in californians tonight. california has always been the land where you could dream amd the sky was the limit. tonight the limit was the sky. it's a sad day in california history.

Old 11-05-2008, 05:26 AM

What a bittersweet evening...

Old 11-05-2008, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapparulez View Post
This is not racial or ethnic discrimination, this can easily be argued that the Prop was to protect the religious rights of the residents of California.
Don't you mean CHRISTIAN rights? Because I have a religious faith, and it has been stomped on with this proposition.

Quote:
Bye. I love my state and I voted to protect my faith from the onslaught of those who "hate" religion. You said it yourself. I don't "hate" gays, but they don't want to compromise either.
Quote:
Good luck...hopefully someday the gay lobby will negotiate rather than try to dictate. When you are in the minority in a democracy, your only option is to negotiate. Maybe finally something can be put forth that doesn't attack my faith. I am more than willing to give Civil Unions all the same rights and privilages under state law...just not willing to give up traditional marriage as defined by a several thousand year old faith.

take care...

2008 General Election Returns
See bold words above... that says it all.

Old 11-05-2008, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelyinLa View Post
I have a question for you: What Bible do you follow? I will be the first to say that as a Christian I have never read the the Jewish Bible (not sure what you call it), but are you saying that it doesn't define marriage as a union between a man and a woman? How does it define it? (Please note that I'm asking this with geniune interest and I am by no means "attacking" it at all. I respect all beliefs.)
We follow the Old Testament and Torah, in addition to Talmud and other Hebrew scriptures... but remember I said I'm a Reform Jew, which is a more liberal & modern sect of Judaism. We have different sects and "levels," just like the Christians and other religions do. But even in the Torah, it doesn't say anywhere that gay people can't marry - I don't believe it says that in the New Testament (which I have read) either, but that's an argument for the Religion forums.

P.S. If you must call it a Bible, we prefer you call ours the Hebrew Bible.

Old 11-05-2008, 07:28 AM

1,831 posts, read 3,601,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
i'm also disappointed in californians tonight. california has always been the land where you could dream amd the sky was the limit. tonight the limit was the sky. it's a sad day in california history.
I agree. This is very disappointing.

Old 11-05-2008, 07:36 AM

1,078 posts, read 2,549,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
We follow the Old Testament and Torah, in addition to Talmud and other Hebrew scriptures... but remember I said I'm a Reform Jew, which is a more liberal & modern sect of Judaism. We have different sects and "levels," just like the Christians and other religions do. But even in the Torah, it doesn't say anywhere that gay people can't marry - I don't believe it says that in the New Testament (which I have read) either, but that's an argument for the Religion forums.

P.S. If you must call it a Bible, we prefer you call ours the Hebrew Bible.
You need to read the Old Testament. It does not prohibit people from being homosexual but it clearly prohibits people from engaging in homosexual sex.

Old 11-05-2008, 07:50 AM

10,391 posts, read 13,748,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangodoodles View Post
Amen to that...er

For real though, yes to everything you said. Religion is becoming less relevant with every passing year and eventually there won't be this so-called "Moral Majority" to intrude on the lives of normal people who don't worship a "higher being" that was made in Man's image. I find it interesting that Republicans call themselves the party for smaller government but the two main props they endorsed (4 and 8) involve more government interference and taking away rights.
It will be a happy day in Hell when the majority of people turn away from religion. This nation was founded on the principles of a Judeo Christian ideals. The reason we have seperation of Church and State is because the founders of this nation did not want the State to trample on the religious traditions and beliefs. When a people decided to take a basic religious belief and make it their own then the Churches have every right to get involved and protect what has always been theirs to protect. The only reason that this nation has been protected from invading armies is because we believe in God and live in accordance to what He has taught. When people start to turn away from the ideals that religion teaches individuals will enter our nation, bomb our cities, and eliminate our basic freedoms. If you think that can't happen look back to 9-11-2001. We are in the middle of a couple wars rught now with an enemy that would love to eliminate us.

With Proposition 4 a parent has every right to know what is going on in the life of their children. If a child can make the decision to have an abortion then they act as an adult and what happens to the parents right to act as a parent? My kids want to make adult decisions, they can do so when they are paying their own way and living on their own, in their own home. Where they are in my house we have rules to follow. The idea that a girl can go in and have an abortion without parental consent astounds me. Why not eliminate parenting alltogether?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California