Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2008, 06:40 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,488,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
People who answer "Hey, wow, man, I'm spiritual" when asked what faith they adhere to is generally someone I don't resonate with. It's more about avoiding commitment to a faith and the flouting of established social conventions.

The "spiritual" folks can readily be found hot springing and selling tye-dye goods on Shattuck Avenue (NorCal) and Venice Beach (SoCal).

Also, everyone seems to have conveniently sidestepped the prevalence, likelihood and success rate of same-sex relationships so as to warrant MARRIAGE status.
If the duration of a same-sex relationship is what rates its success and warrants a marriage, then my partner and I deserve to keep our marriage. We are in our 30th year together and it was my first relationship. Can you say that to either one?

Old 11-05-2008, 07:14 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,586,970 times
Hey, hey, hey! Stop ganging up on gizmo! She's a hottie-patottie, and if there were ever a woman to turn me straight (besides Janet Reno) it would be her! You go girl!

Old 11-05-2008, 07:19 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,888,657 times
Isn't it funny how this country was founded on the Freedom of Religion, yet.. Christians pretty much run this country and tell everyone what they can and can't do ?

Old 11-05-2008, 07:25 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,337,794 times
WTF is wrong with people. Just because you're not gay doesn't mean you can't let others be. It's like telling black people they can't marry just because they're black. Does that sound fair?

Holy ****. Just have some respect for other peoples' way of life and be tolerant. California is liberal. Gay people live here. If you don't like it then move. Don't take their right to love each other away. And if you're not tolerant then you're ignorant and no one likes ignorant people.

And btw...they're not gonna teach it in school. They don't even teach about straight marriage. LOL.

The worst part is that Mormons in Utah were one of the main supporters for yes.

Old 11-05-2008, 07:26 PM

85 posts, read 295,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I type 80wpm, and can crank out a logical response from my mind in a few seconds.
That was my favorite, thank you, I needed a good laugh tonight.

Personally, I have enjoyed many of the posts that you have written about SF as we were considering moving there--kudos.

However, when it comes to religion I think you are full of cr@p, pardon my french. Good night and God bless.

Old 11-05-2008, 07:27 PM

2,027 posts, read 4,208,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRyan23 View Post
Isn't it funny how this country was founded on the Freedom of Religion, yet.. Christians pretty much run this country and tell everyone what they can and can't do ?
Yeah, I'm starting to worry for my children's future. If they're atheist will they be stoned at school? If I have a daughter and she's on her period will she be ostracized? Will my kids have to learn about how Noah had dinosaurs on the ark and other ridiculous creationism assertions? This country goes further backwards every year.

Old 11-05-2008, 07:28 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,482,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
The worst part is that Mormons in Utah were one of the main supporters for yes.
Nope. Nearly all of the money donated by Mormons were by Mormons who live in California.

Old 11-05-2008, 07:31 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,888,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangodoodles View Post
Yeah, I'm starting to worry for my children's future. If they're atheist will they be stoned at school? If I have a daughter and she's on her period will she be ostracized? Will my kids have to learn about how Noah had dinosaurs on the ark and other ridiculous creationism assertions? This country goes further backwards every year.
You should feel lucky that you're in a liberal state like California, Atleast the voting percentages were close which means it can/will be on the ballot again soon.

Here in Tennessee, in 2006 the same proposition was proposed and passed by 81%.

I'm not gay but I believe in civil rights and the seperation of church and state. It's rough living in the South.

Old 11-05-2008, 07:40 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,111,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post

The "spiritual" folks can readily be found hot springing and selling tye-dye goods on Shattuck Avenue (NorCal) and Venice Beach (SoCal).
This is unnecessary and untrue. I consider myself spiritual because I can't stand the lack of Christianity in most churches. When I pray I pray to God in the name of Jesus and when positive things happen I say, "Thank you, Jesus."

I also don't subscribe to an organized religion because most religions impose their belief system on people. They forget the part of the Bible where God gave man the power of free will and the way to exercise it. If God can give Man complete free will, why can't Man?

This is why I describe myself as "Spiritual". I don't believe it is my place to impose my moral values on anyone else and that's why I couldn't vote No on Prop 8. I kept having visions of Gay people storming churches where their lifestyle is unwelcome and shutting them down left and right. It is just as wrong as Gay people not being able to say they are married.

Old 11-05-2008, 07:45 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,337,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangodoodles View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRyan23 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Palin want religion taught in schools? Now that is just outrageous and completely unconstitutional by going against separation of church and state.

And it's ironic that the state with the most gays has now also banned same-sex marriage? What other states have banned it?

And I heard this might be going to the Supreme Court saying it is unconstitutional, going against a person's inalienable right of the "pursuit of happiness". Is that true?

And about the Mormons, I still think it's outrageous. They already have their own state to outlaw gay marriage...why do so in a liberal state that doesn't like you and where you are not even close to being a majority? Sorry if I offended Mormons, but seriously, go back to Utah if you think the laws in another state are bad. Gay people don't have a state to call their own--you do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California