Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2008, 12:22 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
70% of blacks supported Prop 8.

70% of African Americans backed Prop. 8, exit poll finds | L.A. Now | Los Angeles Times

That's why L.A. County as a whole voted "yes" on 8. I'm ready to move to San Francisco.
Like I just said, we'd be happy to have you! And yeah, I read that statistic too and it's sad... kind of a Catch-22 since I was thrilled they came out in record numbers to vote, and voted mostly for Obama - but then killed us on Prop 8. Guess I can't have my cake & eat it too!

Old 11-06-2008, 12:25 AM

1,213 posts, read 3,607,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Like I just said, we'd be happy to have you! And yeah, I read that statistic too and it's sad... kind of a Catch-22 since I was thrilled they came out in record numbers to vote, and voted mostly for Obama - but then killed us on Prop 8. Guess I can't have my cake & eat it too!
Hey, I'm thinking more and more that I'd like to join the party up in SF too! Honestly, at times, LA's not liberal enough for me (wow, how many people do you hear saying that?). Plus, I visited the city a few months ago and absolutely fell in love with the place. Anyway, yeah, the whole prop 8 thing kind of put a major damper on what was otherwise a extremely joyous night for me. Oh well.

Old 11-06-2008, 12:26 AM

2,027 posts, read 4,208,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakersfield1980 View Post
Now that these false marriages have been invalidated, it is time to remove domestic partnerships, such unions are almost the same as civil marriage, that they have become a defacto marriage for gay couples, voters have decided to NOT have civil marriage for gay couples, and so to follow the spirit of voters these domestic partnerships must be eliminated. Now that we have removed gay marriage that is the next logical step. A marriage by any other name is still a marriage.
Disgusting. Go troll somewhere else, yeah?

Old 11-06-2008, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakersfield1980 View Post
Now that these false marriages have been invalidated, it is time to remove domestic partnerships, such unions are almost the same as civil marriage, that they have become a defacto marriage for gay couples, voters have decided to NOT have civil marriage for gay couples, and so to follow the spirit of voters these domestic partnerships must be eliminated. Now that we have removed gay marriage that is the next logical step. A marriage by any other name is still a marriage.
And here we have the slippery slope argument in reverse... exactly what I was afraid of, and the reason why the gay community won't "compromise." Obviously the opposing side will not be happy until ALL rights and benefits are taken away.

Old 11-06-2008, 12:27 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,067,064 times
Here is what we need to do. While the lawsuits challenging Proposition 8 continue, we need to punish the solidly anti-gay marriage counties.

Perhaps we know some influential people - maybe movie stars, or other celebrities - who support gay marriage.

Let's find the counties that were solidly anti-gay marriage, ESPECIALLY the Mormon ones. BUY property in the county (money can be too much to resist) to deliberately raise taxes until they become too much. Punish the people who deprive others of rights with a massive increase in living expenses.

Old 11-06-2008, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Maybe the Mormons blew millions of dollars on this so they'd be poor and blessed by Jesus.
ROFL... I agree with Jesse, that comment was hilarious.

Old 11-06-2008, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
I am not from CA, but watching the parties thrown by people celebrating the passage of prop 8 makes me wonder how people can revel so heartily in the heartbreak that this has caused so many people-- children of gay couples included.
They asked a man on the news "How can you celebrate when so many families are being destroyed tonight?" The guy stammered for a moment, and responded that they were only celebrating marriage being held sacred (or something like that)... what a bunch of baloney.

Old 11-06-2008, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Hey, hey, hey! Stop ganging up on gizmo! She's a hottie-patottie, and if there were ever a woman to turn me straight (besides Janet Reno) it would be her! You go girl!
Aw Scran, you're making me blush. If you move to Massachusetts, I might be tempted to join you... or maybe I'll convince you to move to SF, where you really belong. I swear, our counties voted overwhelmingly NO on Prop 8.

Old 11-06-2008, 12:45 AM

202 posts, read 534,755 times
Despite pushing this through by the slimmest of margins, allowing 52% of the state's population to change our constitution against the will of the other 48%, I can still almost *smell* the fear coming off of the Yes on 8 crowd.

"They want to teach our kids about The Gay in homeroom! They want take away our religion and shut down our churches! Ooga booga booga!"

Don't worry, it appears you still have your night-light. In the meantime, the rest of us will take comfort in the fact that 17% more Californians took a stand against discrimination than when this was voted on 10 years ago, and that the age 18-29 voting block rejected it by the same margin you approved it back then. So perhaps I won't worry so much about this doctrine being forced on us by simple majority, because it will ensure that this travesty is just as easy to repeal once the inexorable momentum of progress brings us to it.

Old 11-06-2008, 12:47 AM

1,213 posts, read 3,607,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
They asked a man on the news "How can you celebrate when so many families are being destroyed tonight?" The guy stammered for a moment, and responded that they were only celebrating marriage being held sacred (or something like that)... what a bunch of baloney.
They don't want to think about that aspect of things. They would prefer to live in their own little bubble. Looking at the map of how the vote on prop 8 broke down, I wouldn't be surprised if in a few years a serious grassroots effort begins for the SF Bay Area to secede from the state of California. Maybe it could become South Oregon or something like that. Hey, I'd move to that state!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California