Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2008, 04:32 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,349,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanna_house View Post
I hope this experience has taught you just how intolerant the left really is. There is no room for disagreement! They say they are open minded, but again, just reading these vicious attacks on your personal opinion is yet another confirmation of how hateful these people really are.
People tolerate Christianity so long as it tolerates them. The religious right were legislating to impose their morals on people. By your logic, you'd blame someone for resisting a shove. Think about where the conflict starts.

Old 11-05-2008, 04:36 PM

2,027 posts, read 4,209,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
To all of you who voted "YES" on Proposition 8 because you feel as if marriage is a "sacred" institution (which implies Christian), can you please explain to me why you have no problems with ATHEISTS getting married at the county courthouse? Sounds like you're just being homophobic to me.
I agree, it's so freaking hypocritical.

Old 11-05-2008, 04:40 PM

284 posts, read 1,016,671 times
Yes, I am closed minded and intolerant and so are you! Most of us have a core set of principals and values that we live by and fight to protect. At least I hope there are some things you are willing to stand up for! I am completely intolerant of the right to kill a baby in the womb. I am completely intolerant on an infringement of marriage. I am completely intolerant of muderers and thieves. I am completely intolerant of physical abuse.

This is not about attacking any particular individual, but a set of principals I happen to disagree with. We each have the right to fight for our own causes and sometimes you win and sometimes you lose. If you really have something compelling to say you will convince people to come over to your side. The thing I love is that people on the Left take part in the battle but cry foul when the other side engages them. Go on and fight for what you believe in but how dare you try to stifle my right to do the same in return!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
So are you saying you're close minded then? B/c if you aren't open minded then that only leaves one other option.

Great, so you're not a hypocrite in the sense you don't claim to be open minded or tolerant. BUT what I can't stand is how conservatives and republicans claim to want less govt and less govt in their personal lives BUT at the same time use govt to intrude on people's personal lives. That is pretty damn hypocritical to me.

Sorry but denying people's rights is not treating them with respect. You can smile at their face but that doesn't change the fact you're talking behind their backs.

Old 11-05-2008, 04:42 PM

How is it intolerant? No one is taking away the right for a person of age to be able to get married. They just have to follow guidelines. Are we taking the rights away from 8 year old's on the playground who want to get married too? What makes them have an less of a right? I mean apparently it's ok to get an abortion without parental notification now. Your morals are all subjective and grounded in nothing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangodoodles View Post
I agree, it's so freaking hypocritical.

Old 11-05-2008, 04:44 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
P.S. Sadly, one of my acquaintances will now have to cancel her wedding scheduled for next week... she and her partner have been together for NINETEEN years, so can you honestly tell me they have no bond??
Why should they cancel such a special moment in their lives? Just tell them to do what I'm doing. Vote with their feet. I'm moving to either Connecticut or Massachusetts for primarily this very reason. It will actually be interesting to see in the 2010 and 2020 U.S. Census the number of same-sex couples and LGBT individuals who migrated into those two states so they could live in equality. Perhaps when enough of California's LGBT community moves out, leaving a gaping hole of intellectual capital in its wake, then you'll all wake up to realize the grave mistake you've just made. Love is a very important thing to people. If I'm willing to throw my love of Scranton, PA into the trash can in order to lead a happier emotional life away from racism and homophobia, then that should speak volumes over this importance.

Old 11-05-2008, 04:44 PM

2,027 posts, read 4,209,207 times
Quote:
How is it intolerant. No one is taking away the right for a person of age to be able to get married. They just have to follow guidelines. Are we taking the rights away from 8 year old's on the playground who want to get married too? What makes them have an less of a right? I mean apparently it's ok to get an abortion without parental notification now. Your morals are all subjective and grounded in nothing!
I didn't say it was intolerant, I said it was hypocritical. But for the record, I also believe that it is intolerant and ignorant to boot. I'm not even going to bother arguing this with you because you have the Almighty on your side, don't you? I think religion is rubbish. Also, morals are relative so...

Old 11-05-2008, 04:46 PM

No kidding? So then why should I have any regard for your beliefs that are grounded in nothingness? Why have any beliefs at all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangodoodles View Post
Also, morals are relative so...

Old 11-05-2008, 04:47 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,651,109 times
Quote:
Yes, I am closed minded and intolerant and so are you! Most of us have a core set of principals and values that we live by and fight to protect. At least I hope there are some things you are willing to stand up for! I am completely intolerant of the right to kill a baby in the womb. I am completely intolerant on an infringement of marriage. I am completely intolerant of muderers and thieves. I am completely intolerant of physical abuse.

This is not about attacking any particular individual, but a set of principals I happen to disagree with. We each have the right to fight for our own causes and sometimes you win and sometimes you lose. If you really have something compelling to say you will convince people to come over to your side. The thing I love is that people on the Left take part in the battle but cry foul when the other side engages them. Go on and fight for what you believe in but how dare you try to stifle my right to do the same in return!
How am I intolerant? I believe people should live and let live. I believe in REAL FREEDOM, not psuedo freedom like people on the far right and left. I don't have a problem with you believing marriage is just between a man and a woman and I don't care. But that is not the only view and the govt should be neutral with regards to this and leave religion out of it. Allowing gays to get married doesn't infringe on anything you believe in, it doesn't prevent you from believing marriage is between a man and a woman at all. How the hell do two people you don't know getting married affect you personally? It doesn't unless your mind lets it.

This is what my whole argument is about and it doesn't favor one moral side over the other, it allows both sides to have their view in govt:
My whole argument about this is that this doesn't or shouldn't even involve religion. This is just for govt purposes, which religion should not be a part of period. If a gay couple gets married by the state, you can still say I don't accept that b/c you believe marriage is just between a man and a woman and that is your right and totally fine. BUT you cannot and should not force that view onto everyone else that doesn't share that view. Keep your personal religious beliefs where it belongs, with the person.

By allowing the state to recognize gay people being married they aren't taking away your right to believe only a man and woman together means marriage now are they?? But this law took away someone else right that believe two consenting adults have the right to marry.

We all have different views obviously and govt needs to be as neutral as possible and it was before prop 8, now it has chosen a side and has continued this social/moral warfare.

Old 11-05-2008, 04:48 PM

30,347 posts, read 51,937,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Also, everyone seems to have conveniently sidestepped the prevalence, likelihood and success rate of same-sex relationships so as to warrant MARRIAGE status.
You also conveniently ignore the 60% (or is it more?) divorce rate amongst straight couples... and did you see where I mentioned the woman who's been with her partner for 19 years? Why should she be punished for the possibility that other gay couples aren't as committed? We don't hold hetero couples to that standard, which is how this becomes an issue of prejudice. Equality doesn't have boundaries or limits - it either is or it is not.

Old 11-05-2008, 04:50 PM

202 posts, read 534,876 times
Quote:
No kidding? So then why should I have any regard for your beliefs that are grounded in nothingness?
My beliefs are not "grounded in nothingness" simply because I don't believe in Christian mythology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California