Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2008, 09:55 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,607,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangodoodles View Post
Well that's pretty ****ed up considering that we are LITERALLY writing unconstitutionality into our state constitution. God I hate religious people, you guys **** everything up.
If this passes I will be extremely disappointed in California tonight.

Old 11-04-2008, 09:56 PM

259 posts, read 765,138 times
Keep in mind Tangodoodles, that there is still 10 million votes to be counted. But it doesn't bode well that the latino vote in Central California is 70% for Prop 8. This could spell a landside victory for Prop 8...even LA County is for it right now. I am surprised by this...I expected at best a 52-48 vote.

Old 11-04-2008, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt345 View Post
I'll be proud that the 2000 vote will be upheld over the activist courts. Now the gay lobby can go after equality under state law rather than equality under religious law.

Old 11-04-2008, 10:02 PM

2,027 posts, read 4,208,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapparulez View Post
That is your opinion. If it is in the Constitution then it is by definition Constitutional.
Dude, it was legal for Hitler to gas the Jews, it was legal for whites to tell blacks to sit at the back of the bus, and it was legal for the U.S. to throw Japanese Americans in prison during WWII. Just because it's legal doesn't mean it's right. We are CHANGING the constitution to add language that would otherwise be considered unconstitutional. If you can't see how screwed up that is then you aren't a Constitutionalist.

Old 11-04-2008, 10:05 PM

2,027 posts, read 4,208,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt345 View Post
Me too. I've loved living in California but I'm sort of over it now. Why stay in a state where I have to spend a bundle on a house and my cousin can't even get freaking married. I don't want to live in a state that allows discriminatory language to be written into the Constitution. I'm so ready to move to Boston, I'll deal with the cold. EFF YOU CALIFORNIA (and eff you religious jerks for being so freaking ignorant).

Old 11-04-2008, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Dude, it was legal for Hitler to gas the Jews, it was legal for whites to tell blacks to sit at the back of the bus, and it was legal for the U.S. to throw Japanese Americans in prison during WWII. Just because it's legal doesn't mean it's right. We are CHANGING the constitution to add language that would otherwise be considered unconstitutional. If you can't see how screwed up that is then you aren't a Constitutionalist.
lol All those examples were not Constitutional...

Hitler was a dictator, he had no laws but his own

Whites telling blacks where to sit were called Jim Crow laws and they were state laws that were overwritten by the U.S. Constitution with an amendment. This Prop can be overruled by the Congress, but I doubt it will be. This is not racial or ethnic discrimination, this can easily be argued that the Prop was to protect the religious rights of the residents of California. You can still go after equalization under State Law, just can't call it marriage.

When FDR interned the Japanese, it was not constitutional. It was illegal and the Democratically controlled Congress choose to ignore this travesty. But hey, Democrats are all about Freedom right?

You are letting your emotion get the best of you.

Old 11-04-2008, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Me too. I've loved living in California but I'm sort of over it now. Why stay in a state where I have to spend a bundle on a house and my cousin can't even get freaking married. I don't want to live in a state that allows discriminatory language to be written into the Constitution. I'm so ready to move to Boston, I'll deal with the cold. EFF YOU CALIFORNIA (and eff you religious jerks for being so freaking ignorant).
Bye. I love my state and I voted to protect my faith from the onslaught of those who "hate" religion. You said it yourself. I don't "hate" gays, but they don't want to compromise either.

Old 11-04-2008, 10:08 PM

and the vote isn't over. An 8 point swing isn't totally out of the realm of possibility.

Old 11-04-2008, 10:10 PM

Good luck...hopefully someday the gay lobby will negotiate rather than try to dictate. When you are in the minority in a democracy, your only option is to negotiate. Maybe finally something can be put forth that doesn't attack my faith. I am more than willing to give Civil Unions all the same rights and privilages under state law...just not willing to give up traditional marriage as defined by a several thousand year old faith.

take care...

http://hosted.ap.org/specials/electi...?SITE=MASPDELN

Old 11-04-2008, 10:15 PM

62 posts, read 180,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapparulez View Post
I'll be proud that the 2000 vote will be upheld over the activist courts. Now the gay lobby can go after equality under state law rather than equality under religious law.
Now that Massachusetts has legalized gay marriage, and possibly New Jersey soon, a foot has held the door open for the future.

It might take a while, but eventually the fallacies against marriage equality will be exposed and it will occur.

Nobody ever thought this country would have an African-American president either. And if it wasn't for Lincoln (that activist president), it never would have happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California