Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2008, 06:00 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,472,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Isn't that what I said (about looking at the county maps)? Anyway, I think this fight is FAR from over... obviously, when you look at all the protests & lawsuits that are following.
Yes, and when the courts overturn what is, for all intents and purposes a crisis in the state constitution, the people that voted for this are going to start crying about legislating from the bench when the judges do their job.

Old 11-06-2008, 06:05 PM

3 posts, read 25,388 times
I honestly think that it's not the government's business if gays or lesbains wants to get married. I don't think it's right that they had passed this law in California.

Old 11-06-2008, 06:13 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,703,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangodoodles View Post
That seems to be the only drawback at this point. How do you drive to work? I've only ever had a bit of frost on my windshield.
You get up extra early to shovel snow, clear off your car and warm it up. Then drive extra cautiously until you get there. But, you can save a vacation day to use on days like these. Truthfully, there aren't a lot of days like this. If you live in the city, you can use public transportation. The problem is the that our weather is unpredictable. In the winter of 01/02 we had temps in the 50's and 60's in Dec/Jan/Feb. Didn't have any snow until Valentines day 2/14. Also, in summer we have humidity. We get more precipitation, similar to what Oregon gets. Many west coast transplants don't have a problem. On the plus side, gay guys fall in love with Boston quite easily. It's almost like the east coast San Francisco, instead of the old wild west flavor, it has an old old colonial/academic feeling to it.

I wouldn't loose faith yet, as we speak Gloria Allred is building a pretty solid case to overturn Prop 8.

Old 11-06-2008, 06:15 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,067,064 times
Roaddog, first I can't quite understand all of your reply; please type in complete sentences with punctuation so we can understand your point. Second, as you know many people in urban areas are in favor of gay marriage, no matter what state the areas are in. I am from inner city Houston and I favor gay marriage, yet the voters in my state passed an anti-gay marriage amendment to the constitution.

I support gay marriage in California because there needs to be more states that have it, and there needs to be eventual progress to having all of the U.S. support gay marriage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
On the 4th the news showed the no on 8 side trying to start trouble so big deal, mettler got into it with a punk trouble causer who has restraining orsers law suits filed agianst him for domestic abuse, good example. does texass have gay marriage? why would you care about Ca. ?

Old 11-06-2008, 06:31 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,487,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
And whys that? S. ca. voted yes also, infact exceot for the central coast ca was pretty much a clean sweep, do you have gay marriage in texas? well maybe that should tell you something. didn't Ar. and FL. also were agians't your lifestyle, get the hint.
It is not a lifestyle any more than your being heterosexual is a lifestyle. It is called sexual orientation. The hint I get is that christians think their rights are more important than those of other faiths. 52% is not a clean sweep, especially when the supporters played dirty with their lies. California's supreme court will strike this down as they did the decision in 2000. It is still unconstitutional and descriminatory to a select group of people. When you flock to divorce lawyers and give up your marriages for domestic partnerships or civil unions [ which do not apply in California ], then I will think about doing the same. You proposition 8 supporters want the gay people to compromise with you, but you are not willing to compromise in turn. Keep your religion and church out of my life.

Old 11-06-2008, 06:35 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,343,273 times
Wouldn't Prop 8 first have to repeal the First Amendment of the US Constitution which promises to keep religion out of politics? "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion." There's really no argument for "only a man and a woman" without drawing on the Bible, not that the book is a worthy case anyway.

Old 11-06-2008, 07:31 PM

2,027 posts, read 4,208,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
Then let's target Kern County for retaliation.

Write to celebrities, any celebrities, that are willing to do this. We need to inflate the taxes sky high and begin to take over the county. Celebrities should buy parcels of land and develop them so the property values, and taxes, rise. These families wanted to strip rights from homosexuals, so let's jack their taxes sky high to break these families apart or to force them to move out of state.

BTW I'm from Texas, but I wish I was able to vote against this here.
Well, I'm not quite sure about that. Firstly, Bakersfield isn't an ideal place to live. Many people who live there grew up there or work in industries that brought them there. The property isn't very expensive and I don't think a lot of them would be able to afford living anywhere else. Plus, they balk completely at even the hint of a tax raise. I don't like Bakersfield because of how it votes but I don't think punishing them would be fair. They are entitled to their votes, no matter how ignorant I think those votes might be. But thank you for your support on this issue, it is greatly appreciated.

Old 11-06-2008, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979 View Post
You get up extra early to shovel snow, clear off your car and warm it up. Then drive extra cautiously until you get there. But, you can save a vacation day to use on days like these. Truthfully, there aren't a lot of days like this. If you live in the city, you can use public transportation. The problem is the that our weather is unpredictable. In the winter of 01/02 we had temps in the 50's and 60's in Dec/Jan/Feb. Didn't have any snow until Valentines day 2/14. Also, in summer we have humidity. We get more precipitation, similar to what Oregon gets. Many west coast transplants don't have a problem. On the plus side, gay guys fall in love with Boston quite easily. It's almost like the east coast San Francisco, instead of the old wild west flavor, it has an old old colonial/academic feeling to it.

I wouldn't loose faith yet, as we speak Gloria Allred is building a pretty solid case to overturn Prop 8.
After living in San Francisco without a car, I would much prefer to use public transportation which I've heard is very good. I'm straight (and a girl actually, lol ) but my cousin and his partner might move there, or maybe Connecticut if it stays legal there. Personally, I think Boston is awesome. I might just want to move there period, regardless of what ends up happening in California. That's why I want to go to the east coast for law school so I can decide if I want to stay there. Gloria Allred, she is interesting for me, sometimes I despise her and sometimes I love her depending on the case we're taking about. In this case I definitely love her. I'm hoping that many gay groups are able to band together for sheer numbers and fight this.

Old 11-06-2008, 07:43 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,606,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangodoodles View Post
Well, I'm not quite sure about that. Firstly, Bakersfield isn't an ideal place to live. Many people who live there grew up there or work in industries that brought them there. The property isn't very expensive and I don't think a lot of them would be able to afford living anywhere else. Plus, they balk completely at even the hint of a tax raise. I don't like Bakersfield because of how it votes but I don't think punishing them would be fair. They are entitled to their votes, no matter how ignorant I think those votes might be. But thank you for your support on this issue, it is greatly appreciated.
Right, suggesting gays move to Bakersfield is like a prison sentence Actually I was born in Fresno but could never live in the Central Valley again. It is too hot & boring unless one likes to be around crops & bugs!

Old 11-06-2008, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
Right, suggesting gays move to Bakersfield is like a prison sentence Actually I was born in Fresno but could never live in the Central Valley again. It is too hot & boring unless one likes to be around crops & bugs!
If you're an atheist, gay, or liberal (if you're all three of those things, may god help you if you go to the Central Valley) and you're looking for Hell on Earth, look no further than the Central Valley. Bakersfield is worse than Fresno but they both suck. In the summer, it resembles hell even more as it is 105 degrees (in the shade). If you are gay in the Central Valley, chances are you are either there against your will (and you're planning to move as soon as you can) or you are there by choice to fight the anti-gay sentiments that are prevalent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California