U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 02:52 PM

556 posts, read 503,747 times

Advertisements

I have lived in California, and it sucks big time. Texas sucks too, but it sucks less than California. So put two and two together, and that's why California residents are flocking to Texas. They can have Texas as far as I am concerned, I want out of Texas asap

Many California residents have been flocking to Colorado as well, so it's not that Texas is great, it's just nobody really wants to live in California with rolling blackouts, over population, smog, gangs and border jumpers (we have plenty of scum jumping the borders in Texas too by the way).

Old 02-26-2007, 12:43 PM

77 posts, read 449,369 times
Default What are we giving up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThanksABunch View Post
II see the pros as being the cheap housing and nice people. But don't Californians feel they are giving up a lot to live in Texas?
What are we giving up..oh wait....I see

Beaches - Water is dirty and COLD. Have to sit for an hour in traffic, pay for parking and walk a mile to get to the sand. Not my idea of fun

Weather - Sure in San Diego it aint too bad, but in places like Sacramento or San Bernardino, its no different than Dallas or San Antonio.

Mountains - not a mountain climber, dont care

Deserts - got em here too

Illegals - yep but the good thing is that Texas doesnt tolerate them as much as California does

Ahnold for Rick perry - can live with it

So what am I giving up?

Old 02-26-2007, 01:26 PM

174 posts, read 381,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThanksABunch View Post
I grew up in the Dallas-Fort Worth area and left for the Pacific NW in 1995. (I'm currently looking to move to California from Oregon to escape the rain. I'm always going against the current trends, it seems, since everyone seems to be moving up here!!)

I return to Texas each year to visit family in Dallas and Austin...and have met many California transplants, so to speak, looking for a better life. I must say, I find myself a bit surprised when I find out someone has chosen to leave the west coast (even LA, with all of its problems) for the brutal Texas heat and humidity...not to mention the bugs and the heavy industrialization. And I won't even get into the fact that Texans have such an incredibly different mindset than most west coast towns. Texas is certainly not known for being open-minded or progressive! (with the exception of a few small pockets here and there.) The traffic in Dallas, Austin, Houston, and San Antonio are all terrible and few people walk or bike to work. I find it more common on the west coast to see walkers and bikers. It isn't as if you are entering into a better education system either. Yes, the people are very nice..this is true. But when you compare outdoor activity options, it is like night and day. Yes...the housing is cheaper...but I'm wondering what is the draw beyond this?

I see the pros as being the cheap housing and nice people. But don't Californians feel they are giving up a lot to live in Texas?

Now...I was born and raised in good ol' Texas and I will always love it because it was my home...so I mean no disrespect to it whatsoever. Just my observation and my curiousity. I guess I'm curious because I have experienced both locations and I was..well..surprised.

Thanks for reading
I am also a displaced Texan, now living in No Cal. My last places I lived in Texas were Austin, then Ingram. Ingram, Kerrville etc are GREAT! When I lived there, old-timers were keepin their pisrolas oiled and ready for the first gang member to show his slimey head. I don't know how much THATS changed in rural Texas, but I hope not much! Thats a BIG plus in my book. I do not want to be somewhere where the third parcel down is emitting an ether smell three times a week!

Trouble is, I'm of a mind that if a place is usually cold, or usually hot, its going to get more so due to the global warming issues. So we have been thinking of the hill country of Ariz....Prescott, Flagstaff, Sedona, etc, or possibly Eastern WA, or ID. Or, depending on the weather pattern this year, back to the Hill Country of Texas. You KNOW....."TEXAS IS HOME!"

Old 02-26-2007, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navshirereeve View Post

Illegals - yep but the good thing is that Texas doesnt tolerate them as much as California does

So what am I giving up?

Just for drill, ALL OVER THE STATE, with maybe the exception the 'big three' major cities, that is completely false. The are 'illegals' working everywhere in Texas. Drop on down to big bend park and ask the first citrus farmer you see where you can "git a few fellas wants to earn a few dollahs!"

I'm from Texas, and love it, but reality is reality.

Old 02-26-2007, 01:54 PM

49 posts, read 182,019 times
Just thought I'd kick in my two cents as a fairly new Texas transplant.
Seems like most of the people you come across in the DFW area are Cal. escapees. There escaping insane housing prices. That's what I escaped from in N.J. Well sort of. I escaped having a mortage and keeping the banking system fat and prosperous for the next 15 years at my expense. The traffic in Fort Worth is sure different then N.J. Everyone has a pickup truck or SUV and they really enjoy driving it right up your you know what. But what I notice is, no Stateys on the road. That's State Troopers to any Jersey people reading. Everyone here drives exceedingly fast on the roads with no fear of repercussion. Hey, been here a little over a year and I'm still looking for the Boardwalk. Where is it? And where"s Jersey Freeze?

Old 02-26-2007, 05:25 PM

Default Dfw

They're two Texas'...............DFW and Houston are one, and the rest of the state is the other. Me, I was born in Houston but in the 70's lived in Austin and then the Hill Country ~ Kerrville and Ingram. Now THATS living the right way in Texas!

Old 02-26-2007, 06:40 PM

17,447 posts, read 23,875,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socketz View Post
'Oh and there are cleaner and safer cities in this state than Houston and Dallas, like my city. And no, we don't belong to Dallas."

True ;Mckinney, Plano, Frisco are all excellent suburban areas with little crime, great schools and an upscale lifestyle.
ISTR reading somewhere that Plano had a higher rate of hard drug addiction than New York City (don't know if it's higher than that of L.A.) I did have a friend who was from Plano who had lived in L.A. and he said he didn't know that for a fact, but he said the level of heroin use in Plano was similar to that of L.A. (i.e. amongst the highest on the planet) although the schools were better (although it's not THAT hard for any school district to be better than LAUSD, amongst the country's worst). With that much use of hard drugs there has to be some amount of crime, even if its perhaps not as much as other places in and around the Dallas area.

Old 02-28-2007, 01:07 AM

737 posts, read 2,839,609 times
I'm not going to Texas. My plan is ID, MT, or WY.

Old 02-28-2007, 12:46 PM

77 posts, read 449,369 times
Oh and another thing..I am also giving up living in an $1300 a month, 800 sq ft apartment to a 2000 sq ft house thats paid for

Old 02-28-2007, 04:49 PM

101 posts, read 109,478 times
I know a lot of people leaving CA for TX because of cheap housing. They are also trying to make some money form their equity gains before they evaporate. Also a lot of people bought into a false lifestyle using interest only option ARMS that will readjust so when they payment goes up they cant afford it. So now they want to sell and buy in the cheapest state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or