U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 05:43 PM

2,317 posts, read 3,983,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyPhoenix View Post
The liberals that want a nanny state want to take you out of the picture. You just have kids and the machine will raise them to be good little leftist robots.
<sigh> yes, I know. Liberals claim to be "open minded" yet they refuse to see things from anyone else's perspective except their own. I'm sure hard left liberals are good for something, I just haven't figured out what for yet.

Old 11-05-2008, 05:46 PM

10,257 posts, read 13,439,138 times
If you're a good parent and have a good family, your daughter is more likely to come to you with the issue of teen pregnancy.

It's the kids that don't come from good homes and good families are the ones a lot more likely to try to hide it.

Old 11-05-2008, 05:47 PM

1,078 posts, read 2,514,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emstee22 View Post
oh jesus christ, are you kidding? just because people support the right to CHOOSE does not mean they support killing a fetus. I do not know ONE person who wants women to have an abortion, or who think that abortion should be used as a form of birth control. NO ONE wants people to abort fetuses for no reason. However people do want (and THANKFULLY have the legal right to) a choice of what to do to your own body.
Killing a fetus would be murder. Aborting a fetus is not murder.

Also, many abortion clinics are notorious for pushing abortion and not alternatives because they get paid for abortions performed, not abortions prevented.

Old 11-05-2008, 05:48 PM

2,317 posts, read 3,983,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Did you actually have something to add to the conversation? Doesn't sound like it....
I'll take that answer as a no.

Old 11-05-2008, 05:49 PM

1,078 posts, read 2,514,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
If you're a good parent and have a good family, your daughter is more likely to come to you with the issue of teen pregnancy.

It's the kids that don't come from good homes and good families are the ones a lot more likely to try to hide it.
Generally true, but not always true. Some kids no matter how well parented just do not always make good choices. Think about your own childhood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear2 View Post
I'll take that answer as a no.
and i'll take that as you still don't have anything to actually add to the conversation...

5,632 posts, read 9,998,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear2 View Post
<sigh> yes, I know. Liberals claim to be "open minded" yet they refuse to see things from anyone else's perspective except their own. I'm sure hard left liberals are good for something, I just haven't figured out what for yet.
"Liberal" is just a word you people use to manufacture bias in your opponent. Someone else's view can't possibly be unbiased because they're "liberal." You should heed your own advice.

Old 11-05-2008, 05:50 PM

735 posts, read 469,650 times
Is anybody staying in California?

Old 11-05-2008, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyPhoenix View Post
Generally true, but not always true. Some kids no matter how well parented just do not always make good choices. Think about your own childhood.
I agree that some kids, no matter how good the upbringing, can get into trouble. But prop 4 would have been just for the exceptions while hurting those most likely to be in a bad situation.

Old 11-05-2008, 05:51 PM

3,288 posts, read 2,645,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j760 View Post
I'm going to stay out of the debate on whether or not this was a good proposition. I couldn't help but respond to this statement though, how can you sit there and say if you were better parents your kids would tell you about their relationships and if they were going to have an abortion???

Are you for real?

I agree that good parents raise good children most of the time, but there are times where even good children find themselves in situations where they don't feel they can turn to their parents no matter how understanding the parents are, especially if the child simply feels ashamed or scared.

Raising children is not always so cut and dry, and to assume that being a good parent automatically guarantees that children will always do the right things and always come to you when they should is unrealistic and rather naive in my opinion.
Frankly, I am for real.

What are the odds that I'm a good kid that was raised by good parents, who taught me to always wear a rubber and/or use birth control and I still got pregnant but you know what, I'm going to just not inform my parents even though they're open with this stuff?

What are the odds that I am caught up in some horrible situation where informing my parents that I'm pregnant or going to get an abortion is a pretty terrible idea? I can see some parents beating their kids or throwing them out on the street for having an abortion or having sex. I don't think I even need to go into detail in a scenario with an abusive father or step father.

So no, it's not black and white, but I stray on the side of caution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California