Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2008, 12:15 PM

2 posts, read 25,341 times

Advertisements

We are thinking about moving to Patterson, I have 3 girls 18,15 and 8. I was concerned about some things that i have heard relating to an over abundance of gang related activity. Do I have anything to worry about if my children go to school in Patterson? How about the community in general?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 06:19 PM

20 posts, read 96,282 times
I live in the same county as Patterson and am very familiar with it. The entire west side of town (mainly the Lucas Ranch and Walker Ranch subdivisions - the area North of Sperry Ave and West of Ward Ave) are basically 90% gang. It was a nice place at first, but it was taken over by the folks from San Jose and Oakland looking for cheaper property. The gang is a mixed race gang and has had numerous run-ins with Law Enforcement. I have a relative who attended school at the junior high and apparently kids were buying/selling drugs on school grounds at lunch and in the bathrooms. I don't know if this was ever stopped or not. There's the occasional robberies and other basic crimes in the city. Just outside the city, off HWY 5, is an area with fast food places. These seem to be targeted occasionally as it allows robbers to quickly flee onto the freeway and get outa the area.

Last year there was a phone call about a gunman on campus at the high school. Sheriff's department locked down the school and search every square inch but didn't not find anyone nor anything suspicious. Besides that, I haven't heard much about the life in Patterson.

I might suggest Newman or Turlock as better solution for your family. Patterson is mostly troubled youth. PM me if you have any further questions.

Last edited by Rapidarp; 11-06-2008 at 07:03 PM..

Old 11-07-2008, 05:40 PM

2 posts, read 25,341 times
Thank You, well served information.

Old 10-17-2009, 02:10 AM

3 posts, read 21,217 times
Default Patterson has no gangs anymore, just 1,2, or 3 wannabe's who couldn't scare a fly.

I heard the Gangs went back to the bay area "San Jose / Oakland" due to the foreclosures. Parents commuted to work while their kids acted like little thugs in Patterson. It's safe to move back now that the gang bangers have moved out.

Old 03-12-2010, 01:18 PM

9 posts, read 49,993 times
STAY OUT OF PATTERSON! It is a ghetto with newer houses!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Most of which are empty or being rented out by the room (including people living in garages). Seriously you don't want to raise your kids there!!!!! We lived there for one year from out of state and moved as soon as our lease was up. Big houses and cheap rent is a formula for disaster!

Kids and adults fighting in the streets and at public parks with little kids present. We called the Police and they drove right past it, they are too afraid to get out of their cars! I called the police back and was asked by the dispatcher, "What do you want us to do about it?" REALLY! SERIOUSLY!

Don't move there and consider yourself warned if you do... Best Wishes!

Old 03-12-2010, 01:28 PM

126 posts, read 160,533 times
LOL this thread has to be a joke, there is hardly any crime there, go look it up yourself. What are you scared of really? The large amount of Latinos or what? Nobody from Oakland Moves out to Patterson, they go to Antioch. Hvae I been there? Yes, i've stopped on my way to LA to get gas and despite what the usual city data fear mongers say, it's not a crime infested town.

Old 06-15-2010, 12:59 AM

1 posts, read 9,880 times
As a resident of 10 years and an active community member- I can see both sides of this debate. I know this thread is old, but I can not in good conscious leave it out there as it stands.

There were a few years that Patterson was over-run by gangs. The community was grappling with an influx of citizens from all over the state, and a gang formed that included members from a variety of gangs. In the past two years this gang has been effectively eliminated and many of the problems have gone with them.

Patterson does still have gang members, but nothing like what is implied above and nothing more serious than any other town in California.

Gang activity is something that needs to be faced head-on and dealt with everywhere in California. If we continue to run in fear from gang members then we let them win and they will spread.

Patterson is as safe to live as most anywhere else. I hope this helps.

Old 10-30-2012, 02:14 AM

4 posts, read 22,668 times
Default [QUOTE=VJamPatterson;14620588]

Thank you for posting this comment. We are moving to Patterson soon, and I am looking forward to joining my new community. As citizens we have a responsibility for our own safety and the safety of our neighbors. I encourage all residents no matter what city they're part of to get involved and unite to show that they care about their community and the direction it's moving in.

Looking forward to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJamPatterson View Post
As a resident of 10 years and an active community member- I can see both sides of this debate. I know this thread is old, but I can not in good conscious leave it out there as it stands.

There were a few years that Patterson was over-run by gangs. The community was grappling with an influx of citizens from all over the state, and a gang formed that included members from a variety of gangs. In the past two years this gang has been effectively eliminated and many of the problems have gone with them.

Patterson does still have gang members, but nothing like what is implied above and nothing more serious than any other town in California.

Gang activity is something that needs to be faced head-on and dealt with everywhere in California. If we continue to run in fear from gang members then we let them win and they will spread.

Patterson is as safe to live as most anywhere else. I hope this helps.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:19 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,509,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS3gamer View Post
I heard the Gangs went back to the bay area "San Jose / Oakland" due to the foreclosures. Parents commuted to work while their kids acted like little thugs in Patterson. It's safe to move back now that the gang bangers have moved out.
Why would they go back to something they couldn't afford to begin with?

I would check local apartment complexes. That's usually where the lowlifes go after a foreclosure, then when rents get real high there, they usually move further inland to the next cheapest place (i.e. Stockton, Modesto, Fresno)

Very rarely do they move back to the urban area they came from. It's just too expensive!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California