Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2007, 03:48 PM

83 posts, read 327,632 times

Advertisements

Hi i'm 18 a senior in highschool and like some of you guys can't seem to make up my mind to which college to attend I live in Jacksonville florida and thinking of moving to cali for junior colleges I'm a laid back kind of person I fall under the artsy type but not an artist more of a writter I want that old sweet american town you know the one from the t.v !!! so here are my choices and ccan you give me the pro's and con's of the area and why you like one from the other Thank you so much for being apart of a major decsion in my life.
1. West hills community college Coalinga, California
2.Seirra colleg Rocklin, California
3. College of the redwoods Eureka California
4. Reedely College Reedely, California
5. Columbia college Sonora, California
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2007, 03:57 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,477,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyscorpian14 View Post
Hi i'm 18 a senior in highschool and like some of you guys can't seem to make up my mind to which college to attend I live in Jacksonville florida and thinking of moving to cali for junior colleges I'm a laid back kind of person I fall under the artsy type but not an artist more of a writter I want that old sweet american town you know the one from the t.v !!! so here are my choices and ccan you give me the pro's and con's of the area and why you like one from the other Thank you so much for being apart of a major decsion in my life.
1. West hills community college Coalinga, California
2.Seirra colleg Rocklin, California
3. College of the redwoods Eureka California
4. Reedely College Reedely, California
5. Columbia college Sonora, California
There is no appreciative difference in quality of junior colleges - other than location, just pick one that will allow you to get into the 4-year school as quickly as possible. For the most part they offer very similar programs. of all those, I would pick Erueka.

Old 02-21-2007, 04:36 PM

1,197 posts, read 4,783,220 times
Sierra College in Rocklin would be a good choice, it also offers dorms.

Old 02-22-2007, 07:16 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,441,300 times
Not Coalinga, it is a shockingly nowhere town. Sierra College or College of the Redwoods is good. Butte College in Chico is good, you can attend Chico State, Cuesta College in San Luis Obispo feeds Cal Poly

Old 01-16-2008, 11:57 PM

4 posts, read 20,082 times
I have lived in Coalinga and know West Hills pretty well. It's a decent enough community college, but the thing you are looking for is perhaps a good creative writing program after your initial AA?... I went to Fresno State to study English Lit... I took a few MFA courses afterward... It's a great program for young artists/writers... West Hills has a "walk-on" policy with Fresno State... That is, you can go to West Hills for two years and transfer over to Fresno State with no problem (that is, as long as you took transferable classes, I don't think too many gym classes will work). My point is, West Hills is an excellent stepping stone for a writer who wants to move on to Fresno State... Fresno State gets two big thumbs up from me... Excellent English department and Terrific Creative Writing Department...

Old 01-17-2008, 11:04 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,311,234 times
Columbia college also has dorms. You should realize that until you live in CA for one year you will be charged the out of state tuition rate which is substantially higher. Check the websites of all the colleges for the rates.

Old 01-19-2008, 01:02 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
I don't think the "sweet little towns" you are looking for exist anymore except on television. College of the Redwoods is currently struggling to hang on to its accreditation. The previous poster is right-on re: out of state tuition. And, sorry to be a grouch, but if you're going to be a "writter" you'd better start working now on your spelling. It's really a shame that your guidance counselors at school aren't helping you more with this, but out here kids like you don't get any help either because their time is all taken up with the truants, at-risk kids etc. Good luck with whatever you choose and if you can possibly manage a road trip to visit these places you'll be a lot more comfortable with your choice.

Old 01-19-2008, 01:07 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,724,505 times
How about Feather River College in Quincy (Plumas County) CA?
Feather River College - Quincy, CA

Old 01-26-2008, 09:48 PM

790 posts, read 4,019,693 times
Default Cabrillo College in the Santa Cruz area

Cabrillo College in Aptos (or is it Soquel?) in Santa Cruz county is a good community college I hear. UCSC is in Santa Cruz but alot of kids who can't or don't want to go there, go to Cabrillo because they love the area. Both Aptos and Soquel have a nice smaller town feel. It's an expensive place to live if you're looking for a place on your own but roomate situations abound. Ocean and redwoods right there for you to explore too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California