U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 05:14 PM

2 posts, read 8,300 times
Default Where would you rather spend the night?

San Francisco Murders: 69
East Palo Alto Murders: 9
San Francisco Forcible Rapes: 215
East Palo Alto Forcible Rapes: 19
San Francisco Robberies: 3,065
East Palo Alto Robberies: 97
San Francisco Aggravated Assaults: 2,376
East Palo Alto Aggravated Assaults: 187
San Francisco Burglaries: 5,784
East Palo Alto Burglaries: 339
San Francisco Larcenies or Thefts: 25,388
East Palo Alto Larceny or Thefts: 600
San Francisco Car Thefts: 6,991
East Palo Alto Car Thefts: 220
San Francisco Arsons: 260
East Palo Alto Arsons: 5
Data Source: 2003 FBI Report of Offenses Known to Law Enforcement
Where would you rather spend the night?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Well, I wouldn't go that far... I lived there for 2 1/2 years, not to be a "gangsta," but because I couldn't afford to live anywhere else. I actually had a great little 2-story apartment with a yard & very cool neighbors, for only $900/month. Can't beat that! But you are right that race isn't the problem, since other towns have similar demographics without the bad reputation. As much as I loved living in EPA, I would NEVER call it a safe neighborhood... we had 5 murders within a 2-block radius in the time I lived there, so obviously it ain't Nob Hill. I still remember the night I came home and couldn't drive up my street, because a dead body (covered by a bag) was laid out in the middle of it. Turned out to be a 16 year-old kid who got shot after a drug deal went bad, and he rode his bike 1/2 a block before collapsing in front of my complex. I don't see racism in this thread, just honesty and facts about the crime - you wouldn't want to tell a newcomer that EPA is safe, would you???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2008, 06:16 PM

6,555 posts, read 15,652,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolframald View Post
San Francisco has a population of 750,000 and has many more transients due to tourism. East Palo Alto has a population of 30,000 and most people who don't live there only drive through to get to IKEA or the Dumbarton Bridge. In short, your numbers are absolute bunk.

Old 11-29-2008, 10:19 PM

355 posts, read 914,570 times
Default The facts on EPA

Quote:
It so sad and disappointing to see the racist commentary on this site. Obviously so little understanding of what it is like to live and work in a working class, diverse community. There is tremendous richness in the East Palo Alto community that I challenge you to discover and appreciate. Please refrain from casting such horrible and truly ignorant stereotypes upon such amazing community.
I didn't see anyone here mentioning race. You, however, see legit and factually supported commentary on the status of EPA as being "racist." So be it. That's seems to be the preferred response to anyone who says anything negative about these wonderful "multicultural" communities.

As someone who worked in EPA from 1991 to 1993, here's some facts to lay out there for everyone's consideration:

1. The area has shifted from a slight majority black population to a overwhelmingly hispanic population in the last 15+ years.

2. Regardless of the racial demographics of EPA, the place has been a basket case since incorporation. They simply don't have the tax base to fund the size of police force necessary to clean up the area, and as long as they have crime issues, they're not about to have the tax base necessary.

3. The central problem for EPA is their status as an incorporated city. They should just un-incorporate and become a part of San Mateo County, but their myopic civic leaders, in their pride and arrogance, would refuse all attempts to do this. So they're stuck in this netherworld of crime and low tax revenues due to crime.

4. The murder rate in 1991/1992 was the highest per-capita of any incorporated area in the US -- a rate of 171+ murders per 100,000 population. Even tho EPA has never had a population of 100,000, the FBI "normalizes" crime statistics to be "rates per 100,000" and that is how the stats are quoted in criminology reports. The actual numbers were 42 murders in a population of a little more than 24,000 in 1991/1992.

In the US, major urban area murder rates run from 20 to 50 homicides per 100,000. Over 100 per 100,000 is simply "off the charts" - even for such garden spots as Washington DC and Detroit.

When I worked on O'Brien Ave, which was technically part of Menlo Park (but if you stepped off the curb, you were in EPA just one block off the west end of the Dumbarton Bridge), I volunteered at the Ravenswood School - for all of about a month. It was quite clear that the teachers and administration had no interest in actually teaching the children, much less maintaining classroom order. I quit volunteering pretty quickly after I figured out that the kids were free to make racist remarks about volunteers, walk in/out of classrooms at will and disrupt the class with no response by teachers.

In the three years I worked there, I'd find spend shell casing in the parking lot at work, we had bullets go through windows of the office, I'd find bullets that had returned to earth from the third-world style of "happy fire" (ie, shooting into the air). One night I took the time to call the EPA police and report shooting close by - I was telling them that one of the shooters was using a 9mm semi-auto and the other was using a .22. They were much more interested in how I knew what caliber they were using than in actually responding to the call. The cops in EPA could not conceive how someone would know more about firearms than they did.

One night, my vehicle was broken into while I was at work. It was pretty clear that some person of rather low IQ did it - they stole an $8 wool poncho, but they left a roll of 100 first-class stamps ($0.29/ea at that time) on the dashboard - effectively, they took a $8 used poncho and left $29.00 in cash equivalent in plain sight. When corporate security found out that my car had been broken into, they called the EPA cops, who came over and demanded to know why I had not called them when I found the window broken. I said "What were you going to do about it?" "Well, we would take a report!"

"And how long would that have taken? 20 minutes of my time, for no resolution?"

They started getting all huffy about my attitude. Never mind their incompetence that allowed people to fire guns wildly into the air night after night. Nah, never mind about those details.

If anyone who has a choice to live somewhere else chooses to live in EPA, they pretty much deserve what they get. It was and is a high crime community, and the status as such has little to do with race and everything to do with incompetence by their civic leaders. The place will be eventually cleaned up by real estate valuations pushing more and more development into the area, and the new development will continue to petition Palo Alto and Menlo Park for annexation, and eventually EPA will simply cease to exist and that will be how the problem is solved. The area known as "Whiskey Gulch" will likely become part of Palo Alto in this manner, and large chunks of the area on the north side of EPA have been annexed to Menlo Park in this manner.

Old 11-30-2008, 12:48 AM

24,607 posts, read 26,392,675 times
Quote:
Like Sonarrat said, these numbers mean absolutely nothing unless you post percentages. I have lived in East Palo Alto and now live at the edge of Hunter's Point... neither are what I'd call safe areas, but you're comparing apples and oranges here. And where would I rather spend the night? Definitely San Francisco.

Old 12-01-2008, 09:17 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,000,931 times
East Palo Alto is very dangerous. Don't go there.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:08 PM

1 posts, read 4,694 times
Default East Palo Alto

Oh Dear Lord....RUN AWAY RUN AWAY. I had to live in EPA (west of 101...supposedly the "better" part of EPA) and I literally cried every single night of the 5 months I lived there. Long story: I had to move from my in law unit in San Mateo (I had an outdoor kitty,nice back yard) cuz my landlord died and the bank took the home...so I had to find a place in a big hurry and found this hellhole on Euclid. It's one of many apartments owned by a soul-less agency (involved in many lawsuits) but the worst - absolute worst - which made me cry nightly were the gang members across the street, hanging out, dealing drugs, blasting their crappy "music" from their cars (which, unexplainably, they would sit in); the generally unsafe and UGLY area, the sky high rents (they had the nerve to charge me an extra $100/mo. for my cat, who I had to change into an indoor cat - no way in heck would I let him out there - some freak would get hold of him and torture him to death, I'm sure). And here's the odd part - not four blocks away, going north, were lovely, family, beautifully cared for homes - but that was Palo Alto,not EAST Palo Alto. Anyway, choose any city - any city at all - in the Bay Area (maybe not Hunter's Point) on the Peninsula and live there. Even the crummiest part of San Mateo is scads better than ANY PART OF EPA. Literally, I still have nightmares about living in EPA. I get physically sick to my stomach if I have to go anywhere near there. I'm almost 50 years old, have been through a lot, seen a lot, known some unsavory characters, but dear God...nothing compared to EPA. Hideous to the extreme. My precious mother gave me the $$$ to break my lease (one month to go) and I moved back to San Mateo, to Hillsdale Gardens, which, overall, I really like, if you are limited to apartment living. Foster City is OK - but zero personality.

Old 10-22-2009, 04:31 PM

7,763 posts, read 8,930,707 times
EPA has changed a lot since I was a kid. Back then, it was a true black ghetto. We'd go buy alcohol in Whiskey Gulch - they were pretty loose about ID checks and we looked mature beyond our years. It was really the hood back then (very late 70s).

Now, while not paradise, it is more of a typical working class place, with lots of immigrants, especially Hispanics. Similar in many ways to Fruitvale.

Oh and BTW I've worked in this hood for over 15 years. I'm in this hood as I type this.

Old 10-24-2009, 11:28 PM

257 posts, read 96,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
it's the ghetto
Considering land is just ground, what makes this particular ground a ghetto? It's the kind of people there, isn't it?

I must ask: if that town was white people, would you have called it a ghetto?

Old 10-26-2010, 12:58 AM

384 posts, read 380,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtrat View Post
East Palo Alto has a high crime rate. One year (1990's??), it was the murder capital of the US with more murders per 1000 than any other city. East Palo Alto has a drug and gang problem. Don't move there!
Murder Capital is a city with a population of 100,000 or more that has the highest per capita murder rate. That's the reason East Palo Alto was not the Murder Capital in any year, and the reason Gary Indiana was the Murder Capital many years, 11 yrs over the last 20 yrs.

Old 10-26-2010, 08:45 PM

753 posts, read 762,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVDave View Post
The place will be eventually cleaned up by real estate valuations pushing more and more development into the area, and the new development will continue to petition Palo Alto and Menlo Park for annexation, and eventually EPA will simply cease to exist and that will be how the problem is solved. The area known as "Whiskey Gulch" will likely become part of Palo Alto in this manner, and large chunks of the area on the north side of EPA have been annexed to Menlo Park in this manner.
No, very wrong.

What will happen is, when the spectre of redevelopment presents itself, the community will bleat that is being "broken up" and that they are about to lose the homes that they have inhabited for decades.

They are going to depict themselves as victims of class discrimination, economic discrimination, and whatever other emotive terms they can conjure in their defense.

They will take their grievance to court and the judge will rule in their favor; he will issue an injunction against redevelopment.

The end result will that those people will keep their homes and their community and they will continue to exhibit the characteristics they long have- gang-condoning, crime-condoning, unmotivated, apathetic, intractable, defeatist-minded, self-victimizing, self-sympathizing, and, course, dangerous and a no-go zone for anyone who can avoid it.

P.S. Yes, I know this thread is years old- oldies are the best
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California