U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-08-2008, 06:56 PM

1 posts, read 10,035 times
Default Is Palmdale Ghetto?

I have been offered a position at Edwards AFB. Can anyone suggest a safe city to reside in for a family with a child? Please keep in mind that I am not wealthy! Thank you for your help.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2008, 07:53 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,917,445 times
There are lots and lots (and LOTS) of Palmdale threads on this board. Search and ye shall find...

MOVING to Palmdale or Lancaster (?) Recommendations (?)
LA Times article: Free-falling in Palmdale: Prices nearing $100K
Westside Palmdale
Moving to Palmdale
Working up in Palmdale

Plenty more where those came from - the general gist seems to be that Palmdale is a VERY challenged community, with section 8, gang activity, housing prices in freefall, but there are apparently some areas still safe to live in.

Old 11-08-2008, 08:14 PM

19,127 posts, read 14,414,088 times
It's funny, because I grew up in Palmdale.... when I lived there, there was one stoplight, two housing tracts and one elementary school. We didn't even have a high school, all the kids went to Lancaster for that. It's amazing that in less than 20 years so much has happened there.... mostly bad.

Old 11-08-2008, 08:54 PM

1,465 posts, read 1,879,191 times
Here is a good resource:
California School Performance Maps

If you got out the north gate of EAFB, you can get to Cal city, Mohave, and Tehachapi. of those, I would chose Tehachapi, but it is a haul at over an hour. You can go the west gate and the first town you hit is Rosamond. There are houses just outside the gate but I don't know how they are nowadays. I have a friend that lives on the west side on acreage and is doing ok. Most commute to Lancaster/Palmdale/Quartz Hill area. You can go out the west gate to the 14 and south, or out the south gate which is 120th east. In this area, the west side is better. Some people dislike it enough to keep driving over the mountains into Santa Clarita, but it is more expensive here. Oh and you can go clear across the valley into the mountains out the south gate to Wrightwood, or Crystalaire golf community.

Old 11-10-2008, 03:13 PM

341 posts, read 662,158 times
I have family that lives in the Palmdale area. Yes, parts of Palmdale/Lancaster are ghetto. However, the Quartz Hill area is nice, and there are lots of repos to buy at reasonable prices. I have a niece in the schools there; so far, elementary and middle school have been okay, but her mother is concerned about high school. You'd need to check it out.

Old 11-10-2008, 09:56 PM

138 posts, read 368,866 times
Is Palmdale ghetto? Yes and no. You need to visit areas you're interested in, and it will be very clear to you. Bottom line- the farther west you get, the better off you are. The west side of Palmdale is very nice. I'll leave it at that.

aak

Old 11-20-2008, 08:45 AM

351 posts, read 790,853 times
Talking Is this s trick question...really?

I'm serious is this a trick Question? I can't stop laughing. There has got to be two hundred and fifty threads on palmdale on this site! And it's ALL BAD! IS PALMDALE GHETTO? IS YO PRESIDENT ELECT HALF BLACK? I wouldn't move my dog (I'm serious) to live in Palmdale California yrt alone my impressionable kids! Palmdale, Lancaster, Victorville, Adelanto, STAY THE HELL AWAY! I think the only place I could recommend is Hesperia...maybe, or commute from somewhere like Rancho Cucamonga. LOL, IS PALMDALE GHETTO? SHOULD YOU WASH YOUR ASS EVERYDAY?
Quote:
Originally Posted by chug View Post
I have been offered a position at Edwards AFB. Can anyone suggest a safe city to reside in for a family with a child? Please keep in mind that I am not wealthy! Thank you for your help.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:48 AM

351 posts, read 790,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashbaak View Post
Is Palmdale ghetto? Yes and no. You need to visit areas you're interested in, and it will be very clear to you. Bottom line- the farther west you get, the better off you are. The west side of Palmdale is very nice. I'll leave it at that.

aak
lol :-)...You're too kind...you know the truth. I get scarred when people give you a little something and say...I'll just leave it at that. LOL! Uh huh.

Old 11-21-2008, 01:22 AM

2 posts, read 13,872 times
(I posted this in another thread, but I will post it here too because I believe that it answers the question)

I've lived in West Palmdale for almost 14 years. I've never had any problems, and I really enjoy this community. I do not feel unsafe. I am very active and spend many mornings running outside for exercise. I feel very comfortable doing this in my neighborhood.

I have seen some parts of Antelope Valley that are less desirable (mostly areas in East Lancaster and East Palmdale), but there are still pockets of nice neighborhoods even in those areas.

The bottom line is that all cities have "good" streets and "bad" streets, but overall I do not regret moving out here from Los Angeles, and I have no desire to move anywhere else.

So good luck to anyone thinking about moving out here. Make sure you drive around, get a feel for the area, and follow your gut instincts.

And, no, I do not think that Palmdale is "ghetto."

Old 01-28-2009, 04:45 PM

2 posts, read 11,032 times
Palmdale like l.a. Or san fernando, has it's nice streets and it's bad ones. New housing tracks i think are still getting established and if we could just get the lazy welfare abusine tenants that don't own their home and are living off the working people to move, it would be just beautiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California