U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 03:09 AM

433 posts, read 2,168,496 times

Advertisements

A "humid" day in California is like a day after a Canadian cold front moves through New England. Really no comparison to the Midwest, South or East with those steamy dog days in July or August.

The things that usually surprise people from out east is the temperature of the ocean out here. People see Baywatch and think our waters are warm and sultry like Florida. They are not. In fact, most areas are usually quite chilly. You jump into the water around San Francisco in the summer and you will think you fell through the ice on a lake in January. Cold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2007, 11:30 AM

800 posts, read 3,951,447 times
Quote:
I agree with everyone who has experienced life outside California. Coming fom the northeast, you won't notice our humidity at all! Even our sultry, sticky days are only a fraction of the stifling humidity that the eastern part of the country endures.
I ditto that!!!

I lived in Virgina one summer and just walking to the corner store after the sun went down, I was sopping wet

It gets pretty humid come late July or August here in Detroit area...You can't breathe LOL.

The many times I've been to CA I've never had a problem, even in 80F weather. I don't even need sunblock, but I wear it there

I hope the dryness helps my allergies and energy levels

Old 05-05-2007, 12:26 PM

675 posts, read 4,246,897 times
The people who have complained about humidity last summer, etc. obviously have not experienced summer days on the east coast and don't know what ral humidity is. It is dry in California. There are days that can be a little sticky, but you probably won't even notice.

Old 05-05-2007, 12:29 PM

675 posts, read 4,246,897 times
But depending on where you are, it can get to be 100-115 regularly in the summertime.

Old 05-06-2007, 12:33 PM

1,354 posts, read 5,743,949 times
Northeast Calif has less then 10 humid days during the summer months. Some years its about 10, some years its 2-3. It all depends on thunderstorms. Last year there were some big storms that caused nearly a week of humidty. Otherwise its warm and dry.

Old 05-06-2007, 01:24 PM

2,652 posts, read 7,785,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkeast View Post
Another poster from Northern California had commented on a different thread how it gets humid there. I wouldn't know, as I've only lived in Southern California; but, if you're thinking of anywhere in California besides the Southern part, you may want to look into that.

I'm in the Bay Area, originally from Iowa, have lived in Boston, and it does not get humid here. Even on the few days last year when the news said it would be humid, I didn't notice it. It's nothing compared to Iowa's humidity. Weather here is perfect 90% of the time.

Old 05-07-2007, 08:33 AM

15,564 posts, read 36,466,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGirlNoMore View Post
Okay, I know that may be a silly question, but never having been off the east coast I don't know the answer to my question. I know places like AZ are not humid (or so I've heard) - does that go for CA also? I've been wanting to go to FL for some time, but would also like to visit CA sometime in my life and have toyed with the idea of moving there as well. I know it's expensive, but it's just an idea - and no I'm not looking to be an actress. Just a New England girl who's tired of the cold weather and snow, but wants to be near a beach (within an hour) with nice weather year round.
You may be surprised to know that most of us in CA aren't actresses! LOL

Old 05-12-2007, 06:00 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,087,254 times
Humidity is generally not a factor in California, rainy season in the winter, summers a bone dry, some areas recording no rain from June to September, high pressure dominates most of the year, however away from the coast it can get very hot, especially in the Imperial Valley, also Mojave, and central valley. Humidity is a factor usually east of the 100TH meridian, from central Texas east.

Old 05-19-2007, 03:43 AM

2 posts, read 46,635 times
Quote:
I hope the dryness helps my allergies and energy levels
They will most likely be worse . Mine are and from what I've heard, and I worked in a drug store so I saw lots of peeps with medical issues, they do indeed get worse here. People have told me that they really get bad once you have been here about 2 years. The "dryness" is painful at times too. I'm actually going to be buying a humidifier for my house because its becoming such a problem. Those who have lived here all their life I'm sure do not notice but I'm from Ohio and its a drastic change. I'm in Northern Cali, the Sacramento area and it gets HOT here to but thatís where the lack of humidity is nice!!! Still though, my body isn't use to 116 degrees which is what it was last summer. I'm dreading this one!

Old 11-10-2010, 11:42 AM

1 posts, read 6,009 times
No humidity here. I live in the central valley of California...the central ag/Bible belt where most homes are still low compared to the coastal homes. You can still purchase a home under $150,000. in small towns.
Yes, it is HOT( goes up to 110's) and dreadfully cold (between 40-35) but never snows!). If you are allergic to pollens, then this would not be the place for you.

My sister lived in Daly City, only a mile from SF and my nose would always be running when the fog come in during the summer. Don't know why.

California has polluted air due to the mobility of cars. You have to have a car in the valley. The transit system is not so hot there. You can live without a car in the SF area very well.
Oakland is the best town to live in but they got the crime. The weather is just perfect and it has great connections. However, the crime is soooo bad there. Bad rap for the town.
Fremont is the new area for the babyboomers. Don't even dare look at the great coastal towns; they are totally expensive.

Riverside and Banning are outside of LA. Nice towns. Check out there. You will be closer to LA.
LA is a headache of cars and freeways. They deserve to have an underground system there.

Bakersfield, Visalia, and Tulare are quiet towns in the southern end of the central valley. Homes are cheaper there and nothing happens there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or