Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 01:03 PM

5,565 posts, read 4,515,478 times

Advertisements

Can you live on the CA central coast on only $40K income? Depends on what you call living. You could find an apt to rent and both of you work/go to school and (with strict budgeting) probably pay all of your bills each month. But it will be close. There won't be much, if anything, left over at the end of the month, and there won't be anything left to save for a rainy day or to make your life better. You would just be existing here, not living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 01:22 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,532,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
Can you live on the CA central coast on only $40K income? Depends on what you call living. You could find an apt to rent and both of you work/go to school and (with strict budgeting) probably pay all of your bills each month. But it will be close. There won't be much, if anything, left over at the end of the month, and there won't be anything left to save for a rainy day or to make your life better. You would just be existing here, not living.

Between me and my boyfriend we make about 50k a year gross. We live in a 3 bedroom house less than a mile away from the beach, have plenty of money for hobbies (I ride horses, he builds RC planes) and live very, very comfortably. It can be done if you luck out

Old 07-12-2009, 11:25 PM

5 posts, read 24,512 times
Stay away from the Central Valley unless you all ready have a job lined up. Gottschucks, Mervins, Circuit City and Foods Co have all closed in the last year. Unemployment is almost 20% and crime is starting to go up as well. Did I mention how hot it is here too? Just a friendly warning.

Old 07-13-2009, 11:23 PM

266 posts, read 998,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1921Sparks View Post
Very true, Capt. Dan. Thanks for looking out

We're coming from, what I believe is, a pretty pricey area. But perhaps I'm wrong about this.
We have been thinking about moving to California for the past year now, only now, we're getting really serious about it.
We're also considering L.A. (county) because, from what I've seen, it seems to be less expensive there.
But like I said before, I found a lot of affordable places on craigslist in SLO county.
Maybe they're scams? I don't know.

Basically, what it comes down is: we need to visit all these cities before we make the big move.
Luckily, he has a brother out near San Francisco, so we plan on making a trip out there soon to check it out.

Neuling - yes that is also a possibility! We're pretty open minded about the whole thing - we don't necessarily need to be right on the beach - but it would be nice not to be too too far from it. Right now I'm about a 4 hour drive to the nearest beach and it would be great to be able to cut that time in half. If that's not possible, then that's ok.

The only 2 things we do require is: no cold temperatures! 60's/upper 50's is as far low as I'll go during the daytime. And I need to be near a decent university so I can finish my degree and perhaps work there since I currently work at a university.

This forum in general has been extremely helpful and I'm really glad I found it!
I spent a good two hours on here yesterday just looking at all the L.A. pictures.
I've noticed there isn't a section for the central coast (correct me if I'm wrong). I'd love to take a look of some recent pictures all over SLO county.
I did all your research for you!
Move to the Los Osos/ Morro Bay area of the coast. The homes are reasonably priced for the coast. The folks there are very friendly. The weather is exactly what you are looking for! And there are 2 nice colleges in the area. One is a State University and the other is a nice junior college.
Also, the area has lots more to offer. Check out the City-Data info!
Enjoy!!!

Old 07-14-2009, 03:12 AM

841 posts, read 2,254,921 times
Santa Maria, Marina and Parts of Seaside

Old 07-14-2009, 08:22 AM

4,070 posts, read 5,575,964 times
^^^No good jobs or decent schools in Santa Maria.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellybee View Post
1. Jobs 4. Good place to raise children. Decent schools.

We would like to stay along the Central Coast "instead" of Central Valley due to the poor air quality and rise in Gang activity within the Central Valley, but mainly because of the poor air quality.

Any and all ideas and help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance.

Old 07-16-2009, 12:46 PM

8 posts, read 23,597 times
I don't know about that, if you and a spouse make $10 per hour, $800 per week, after taxes and health insurance, you bring home $600 so you have $2400 a month. $1k for rent, $250 for bills, $250 groceries, $200 gas, that leaves $700 to save and/or to have some fun. Not wealthy but with all the cool free and cheap stuff like the beach, hiking, movies, not a bad lifestyle at all. Then consider that you can find rent at $800, you can bike/carpool to work, live without cable tv and you could be closer to $1k disposable income. If need be, both can pickup a pt job 1-2 nights a week, even at $8 working 30 hours a month, there's an extra $400 to spend.

Old 05-27-2015, 09:37 PM

2 posts, read 2,846 times
I'm also facing a cost of living crunch, too many people a d weather heating up. I am retired and 8 yrs. In Encinitas - love the artsy vibe and close to ocean. I was ready to go to Oregon, but am opening my eyes to more possibilities in CA thanks to this forum. I don't need a job or good schools, just decent rent and amenities and access to culture.

Old 12-20-2017, 10:43 PM

206 posts, read 570,629 times
Looking at Central Coast for retirement - would like nice views. Close to the beach.Looking around 600K
Jobs are not an issue - appreciate any input. Looking for a hidden gem of a town!

Old 12-25-2017, 02:56 PM

4,391 posts, read 2,873,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntbeebe View Post
Looking at Central Coast for retirement - would like nice views. Close to the beach.Looking around 600K
Jobs are not an issue - appreciate any input. Looking for a hidden gem of a town!
Pismo Beach?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California