U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-19-2008, 10:48 AM

1,531 posts, read 2,404,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsy77 View Post
I am going to be moving out of California in the spring. My husband is from the Midwest and we are going back there. Of course I will miss the weather here, and some family members, but it's not the same as I remember it growing up in the suburbs of Sacramento. Sacramento and the surrounding areas have really gone down hill. Too crowded, too expensive, too everything. Too many strip malls, too much concrete, too much traffic, too crowded schools, too many immigrants, and too many Starbucks. I'm sick of it, this is not how I remember my wonderful river town childhood, when I would walk from house in Orangevale down to the river or Folsom Lake and take my dogs for a walk. I went back to the same spot recently and got chased by 3 pitbulls and some white trash man with no pants on. He was drunk and looked as though he lived down there. My peaceful quiet spot has been ruined! I don't know what has happened to the Sacramento Valley but this place is no longer suitable for a middle class family to raise their children. If I was rich, I would stay in CA. But I'm not, so I'm leaving. I do look forward to working less hours, less traffic, less people, more space, bigger house for cheaper, 4 seasons, slower paced life, nicer people, fireflies, good schools, close knit community, and being around my husbands family who has been in the same town for 3 generations. Let's see if I still feel this way when I'm shoveling 6 ft. of snow out of the driveway though! But it's worth it to me, for my kids to have a childhood that consists of more than hanging out at a crowded mall at age 13, with a $400 Coach purse over her shoulder. That is not how I want her to turn out! I want her to have more values than that. Not saying Coach purses and cell phones are bad, but I want my kid to be able to be a kid.
P.S. I support gay marriage, let people do what they want. I think marriage is about love and committment between two people, not necessarily just a man and woman.

it sounds nice where you are moving to. where is it exactly?

Old 11-19-2008, 11:03 AM

154 posts, read 605,923 times
Quote:
it sounds nice where you are moving to. where is it exactly?
Iowa

Old 11-19-2008, 11:40 AM

10,429 posts, read 13,986,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbatca View Post
When you say that the Northeast has the highest income, you're JUST talking about NYC and surrounding suburbs. You are NOT talking about PA, Ohio, Western NY (Buffalo, NY comes to mind), Maine, Lower NJ, etc. The highest concentrations in wealth sit in NYC, Miami, and the west coast, AFAIK.
No, I am talking about NYC metro, Boston, Philly, and DC (which might not be considered Northeast by some). Miami is not wealthy overall at all, especially the City of Miami which is very poor. South Florida is notorious for low wages.

Old 11-19-2008, 11:42 AM

37 posts, read 217,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
I was born in Los Angeles and grew up in Southern California (mainly LA and Ventura county) and am pretty much committed to living the state at this point despite the fact that all my family (and wife's family) are in the state.

I lived for a bit on the east coast while I went to graduate school and worked and some what recently moved back and totally regret it.

Some pros and cons I see to living in Southern California are:

pros:
- Very beautiful natural landscapes, etc
- A lot of diversity, you can get pretty much any food you want in Los Angeles.
- The people are generally pretty "chill", they don't get in your business etc.

cons:
- The cities are butt ugly. Its concrete from San Diego to Ventura with the same ugly architecture repeated again and again.
- Housing is far too expensive.
- High taxes
- And now...the job market is horrible.

What about you?
We left it to move to Texas. Much to do, no homeless people on every street corner, 3rd fasted growing in one of the cities near dallas, economy better, people nicer, what can I say...we love it!

Old 11-19-2008, 11:54 AM

5,031 posts, read 8,209,159 times
Quote:
I am going to be moving out of California in the spring. My husband is from the Midwest and we are going back there. Of course I will miss the weather here, and some family members, but it's not the same as I remember it growing up in the suburbs of Sacramento. Sacramento and the surrounding areas have really gone down hill. Too crowded, too expensive, too everything. Too many strip malls, too much concrete, too much traffic, too crowded schools, too many immigrants, and too many Starbucks. I'm sick of it, this is not how I remember my wonderful river town childhood, when I would walk from house in Orangevale down to the river or Folsom Lake and take my dogs for a walk. I went back to the same spot recently and got chased by 3 pitbulls and some white trash man with no pants on. He was drunk and looked as though he lived down there. My peaceful quiet spot has been ruined! I don't know what has happened to the Sacramento Valley but this place is no longer suitable for a middle class family to raise their children. If I was rich, I would stay in CA. But I'm not, so I'm leaving. I do look forward to working less hours, less traffic, less people, more space, bigger house for cheaper, 4 seasons, slower paced life, nicer people, fireflies, good schools, close knit community, and being around my husbands family who has been in the same town for 3 generations. Let's see if I still feel this way when I'm shoveling 6 ft. of snow out of the driveway though! But it's worth it to me, for my kids to have a childhood that consists of more than hanging out at a crowded mall at age 13, with a $400 Coach purse over her shoulder. That is not how I want her to turn out! I want her to have more values than that. Not saying Coach purses and cell phones are bad, but I want my kid to be able to be a kid.
P.S. I support gay marriage, let people do what they want. I think marriage is about love and committment between two people, not necessarily just a man and woman.
We all wish you the best & I think you will be happy I also have extended family\in-laws in the Midwest & remember some great times on my uncles' farm.

I believe the goals are idyllic as our nation continues to grow, esp the Sun Belt. I also was raised in the Sacramento Valley\ Chico & had a great childhood in a safe\ laid-back college town [it hasn't changed too much].

Old 11-19-2008, 12:42 PM

10,429 posts, read 13,986,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
I stated that the bay area has a high median income, but this is a very narrow notion of "wealth". Looking at the real estate prices isn't particularly interesting due to the massive housing bubble in the area, which is now crashing. As far as I know the bay area doesn't have the highest concentration of wealth, just one of the highest median incomes (the two aren't the same). If you have data on wealth (not just income) - real estate, I'd like to see it. Not even sure if this information is tracked, not like you can reliably know the value of people's assets.
Here is some data on Million Dollar Housing units: 2007 US Metro Areas by Million Dollar Housing Units

I don't really feel like finding all the data but the person who started this thread has other threads from the past showing Bay Area wealth with stats related to income, real estate, GDP, etc... He likes to show off how wealthy the Bay Area is so if you look at the threads he started in the US General and SF forums you'll see some data that I think indicates wealth, you just have to sift through all the Political threads he starts.

While home prices in the Bay Area have fallen, many areas are holding up relatively well compared to SoCal prices.

Even though income and real estate prices may not be a complete measure of wealth its basically what most people use to measure it by region. And all those stats show the Bay Area and Northeast being at the top of the list.

You can make an argument against the Bay Area or Northeast being the wealthiest regions but unless you have some data showing what other regions are more wealthy then there is not much to base your claim off of besides personal opinion. It's just accepted and known these two regions are the wealthiest, the data backs it up, and you have yet to show anything that shows otherwise. That's why I don't get how you can harp on the Bay Area so much when its wealthier than SoCal whether you can admit that or not. The Bay Area politics can annoy me at time but it ranks up there on a lot of wealth and quality of life measurements.
Quote:
But really, this isn't too relevant to my point which is that the bay area is going to go the way of Detroit, Pittsburgh etc etc if things don't change. Citing past and even current numbers doesn't say what is going to happen in the future. Pittsburgh was one of the wealthiest areas in the country and now look at it, less than half the population it had during the boom.
That why do you predict what is going to happen in the future with the Bay Area? You make these out there assumptions that don't seem to be based on anything more than your personal opinion or perception instead of facts, data, or reality.

I just don't see the Bay Area going the way of those cities at all, it will always be a desirable place to live and visit just for the weather and scenery alone. The high education institutions are top notch and its economy is more diverse than either of those one industry towns.

Quote:
Both areas are going to be equally destroyed by the collapse of the FIRE economy.
What is the "FIRE" economy? I've never have heard of this term and am just curious to what it is.

Old 11-19-2008, 01:08 PM

4,182 posts, read 3,949,154 times
Quote:
Then don't, I really don't care whether you doubt her or not. As I said before, I doubt it because its not consistent with other comments from her (not comments on this thread). But really, I don't care. I should have said nothing, there is absolutely no point in talking about these sorts of things. There is no way to resolve them.
Sheri posted a PDF of what a nurse in California makes. You dismissed that as dubious, yet you post your own "statistic" that the median salary is $70K. What makes you think you are any more believable than her? You are both anonymous posters on the internet.

From what I understand from this thread, you are saying California is expensive for most people. That may be true, but Sheri is saying some people are able to afford it, and she cites herself as an example. Why should that statement ruffle your feathers so much? Why are you so scandalized when you are told that some people can in fact afford to live in California and have the requisite income to match? You even went to the extent of questioning her truthfulness when what she said is easy enough to verify. RNs do make a lot of money in California. Even the $70K income you pooh poohed is just a median; 50% of nurses make more than that. And that's just for 1 job with little to no overtime. A 2 income household can easily double that income

Old 11-19-2008, 01:11 PM

1,539 posts, read 2,002,825 times
Default Wow!

Quote:

WOW! What an articulate, well written post. Thank you for posting my thoughts EXACTLY! Good luck to you, I HIGHLY doubt you will regret Iowa. The weather here is not worth the prices you have to pay/ quality of life. You may find you like seasons and actual weather anyways . I'm hoping to escape one of these days as well. I was not born and raised here so I KNOW what real quality of life is. Again, good luck to you!

Old 11-19-2008, 01:46 PM

26,362 posts, read 56,015,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKgirlinCA View Post
The weather here is not worth the prices you have to pay/ quality of life.
A person should ask himself, "How much time am I outside enjoying the weather?"

About 17 minutes per day during the week and about 45 minutes per day on weekends on average. Most people in SoCal aren't surfing, golfing and playing tennis everyday - even though the weather totally supports it.

What's the typical Southern California office worker doing on his lunch hour on a sunny 72 degree day in February? He's inside playing cards, going online, reading the newspaper, reading a book, hitting on the office assistants, etc. Just like the guy in Buffalo.

Old 11-19-2008, 01:53 PM

1,143 posts, read 2,903,243 times
We left San Diego 4 years ago. We were in a good position financially and I could work from anywhere in the west. After spending alot of time in CO, we got to like the positive aspects of a slower lifestyle, more open space, and public schools that are nice(trying hard to be PC). There are some things we miss, but looking back after 4 years, we are very happy with life in CO and glad to have made the decision to move. It seems like these threads are taken so personally by some folks. We moved and are happy. Not because we hate CA, but the positives of moving to CO out weighed the negatives of staying in CA. Nowhere is perfect, in my opinion. But we have a school age daughter and the environment here is much better for her. I could even see us moving back to CA or AZ sometime in the future.

Quote:
Even though income and real estate prices may not be a complete measure of wealth its basically what most people use to measure it by region. And all those stats show the Bay Area and Northeast being at the top of the list
I was just in San Jose last week and there was an article in the SF Chronicle about the fact that 20% of mortgages in the Bay Area being underwater. I don't know how much wealth you could actually have by paying on something worth less than you owe. I will say that there are many fabulous homes on the hills surrounding Silicon Valley, so the visibilty of wealth is apparent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California