U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-16-2008, 10:16 AM

3,306 posts, read 1,299,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheri257 View Post
Can't argue with you about SoCal being more ugly. My husband grew up in SoCal and even he would agree with you. He's always wanted to move to the Central Coast and now we're here.
Well, I don't really consider the central coast any nicer. Naturally, it is pretty. But so is Southern California, I really like the mountains etc. Its the man made things that are ugly. Perhaps the only area that is somewhat decent in this respect is San Fransisco.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheri257 View Post
I've done it out in the desert and I've also lived in cheap places like Texas and North Carolina. Of course, it works for a lot of other people but to me, those places are definitely cheap for a reason. Ugh ... I don't care how cheap it is I just wouldn't want to go back there.
I wouldn't live in the desert. But Texas has a number of nice affordable cities.
I see nothing wrong with a lot of areas that are affordable.

I don't think cities like Austin are cheap because they are ugly or lack job opportunities. Rather, the state isn't geared in a way to favor propping up real estate prices. Where has California in a number of ways does just that (such as prop 13, restrictive zoning etc). I think geography plays a small roll too.

Old 11-16-2008, 12:18 PM

9,638 posts, read 10,506,582 times
Default How many are thinking of leaving California?

Although sometimes the politics of California make me want to move out, I look at myself and realize I have a good job a home and enjoy the weather and recreation I enjoy right here so I just need to weigh the good with the bad, which for me the good wins over the bad.

Old 11-16-2008, 04:06 PM

7,101 posts, read 17,921,690 times
Some strange comments in this thread.

What I don't see in the OP's post is any mention about what field they are going to enter.

- Tech hub of the country is Silicon Valley, period. There are smaller regional tech hubs. Anyone mocking Silicon Valley is jealous or ignorant of it's stature. You want a high-level career in tech, you most likely will spend some time there at some point or another.

- Finance, Business services, entertainment, manufacturing, practically everthing else.. LA. SF is tech and tourism, LA is the business center of CA.

- Military subcontracting, aerospace R&D, pharma and Biotech and not much else... San Diego.

Dallas and Houston exist because of the Oil business. NYC, finance. Boston, higher ed. Every city has a little tech cluster and a little manufacturing cluster. But if you want to make it to the top of your field, you go where the big boys are.

What is your dream job? If your goal is a high-level career... you should move where the job is, not the other way around.

Old 11-16-2008, 04:14 PM

1,078 posts, read 2,486,949 times
Me and my family are leaving next summer.
The continually rising taxes, brain dead politicians, lack of anything remotely resembling political balance, poor schools, poor quality of life, overpopulation(and growing), traffic and obscene cost of living are the big reasons.

California's best feature is it's weather.

If california doesn't shape up it will become the equal of a third world country, which is too bad because it could be the great place it once was. BUt the brain dead politicians are too stupid to turn this train around, even if they wanted to.

Old 11-16-2008, 05:59 PM

1,831 posts, read 3,527,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
My point in mentioning this is that Californians like to think everyone wants to live in California. I hear it all the time. But its simply not true and anybody that has lived outside of California for a decent amount of time knows it.

There is certainly a coastal rivalry. But I never heard an east coaster imply that everyone wants to move to the east coast. Yet, I hear this all the time from people here, even some in my family.
Well, east coast winters are pretty miserable, at least for a lot of people so ... that's probably why they don't imply that everybody wants to move to the east coast. And while they may not all want to move to California a lot of them move to Florida and other warmer climates for that reason alone.

Look: I just spent a gorgeous day taking the motorcycle down Hwy 1 to Big Sur, having a delicious brunch in Carmel, strolling along Carmel beach where me, my husband and a bunch of other perfect strangers stopped and chatted about our dogs or whatever ...

One guy joked: "Tough day in November ... isn't it?" And we all laughed because the weather and scenery was so gorgeous.

I've lived in Louisiana, Texas, Mississippi, North Carolina, Virginia, Washington D.C. and New York and, for me, nothing compares to this.

It really is paradise.

Old 11-16-2008, 06:03 PM

3,306 posts, read 1,299,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
What I don't see in the OP's post is any mention about what field they are going to enter.
To put it simply Computer Science.

Quote:
- Tech hub of the country is Silicon Valley, period. There are smaller regional tech hubs. Anyone mocking Silicon Valley is jealous or ignorant of it's stature. You want a high-level career in tech, you most likely will spend some time there at some point or another.
I never denied that Silicon valley is the "tech hub of the country", I have denied that it is the only place to get good "high-level careers" in technology though. In fact most such jobs are outside of Silicon valley, its just that Silicon valley has the highest concentration of them vs any other single location in the US.

Quote:
Dallas and Houston exist because of the Oil business.
Not sure if you are speaking about history, but currently this isn't really true.
Only a relatively small part of Houston's economy is oil based. In fact only 20% or so is natural resource (oil, natural gas, mining etc) related.

The Dallas/Fort worth area isn't really related to the oil business either historically or currently at all so I have no idea what you are talking about here. It has a huge number of corporate headquarters.

Quote:
What is your dream job? If your goal is a high-level career... you should move where the job is, not the other way around.
Most people are not in "high-level careers". Most people can find work in a variety of areas in the country. So why stay in California when the cost of living is so high in comparison to some other regions?

Anyhow, people are leaving. California has a out-migration problem now. I don't need to come to city-data to know that. I was just curious about people on this forum that are thinking about moving.

Old 11-16-2008, 06:04 PM

5,612 posts, read 9,357,552 times
Quote:
I was born in Los Angeles and grew up in Southern California (mainly LA and Ventura county) and am pretty much committed to living the state at this point despite the fact that all my family (and wife's family) are in the state.

I lived for a bit on the east coast while I went to graduate school and worked and some what recently moved back and totally regret it.

Some pros and cons I see to living in Southern California are:

pros:
- Very beautiful natural landscapes, etc
- A lot of diversity, you can get pretty much any food you want in Los Angeles.
- The people are generally pretty "chill", they don't get in your business etc.

cons:
- The cities are butt ugly. Its concrete from San Diego to Ventura with the same ugly architecture repeated again and again.

I long to live surrouded by greenery. I had it in Lompoc, but Lompoc is still in Cali.

- Housing is far too expensive.
- High taxes
- And now...the job market is horrible.

What about you?
I agree with your list. I would add the high number of immigrants but the problem isn't really the immigrants, but the lack of English and the arrogance that goes along with it really irritates me.

My biggest problem is the amount of anti-parent legislation in this State.

Old 11-16-2008, 06:06 PM

Quote:
The state needs a major shake up in its state government, but that is unlikely to happen so long has the bay area has its way.
Not sure where you get that idea either. The whole reason Gray Davis was recalled and Schwarzenegger became governor was because the Bay Area wasn't calling the shots.

The Bay Area was the only region of the state that voted to keep Davis in office. Obviously, they lost.

Old 11-16-2008, 06:10 PM

735 posts, read 453,025 times
A ton of Californians are moving to NW Arkansas. I was just looking at an in-migration map to Benton County, Arkansas on the Arkansas forum. LA County has the 2nd most people relocating to Benton County (Bentonville-Bella Vista area) from any county in the country aside from Washington County, Ark. where Fayetteville, Ark. is located.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/arkan...ast-folks.html

Old 11-16-2008, 06:16 PM

Quote:
- Tech hub of the country is Silicon Valley, period ... Anyone mocking Silicon Valley is jealous or ignorant of it's stature.
I totally agree. Or, they simply haven't spent enough time there to observe the culture because it's truly an amazing place.

Last edited by sheri257; 11-16-2008 at 06:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California