Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 12:15 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,449,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
What amazes me is all this talk about moving out of California. I've lived here all my life & the only people I have known to leave California were attending college.
You must live in a bubble then. I know people who left California for college and came back. I know people who moved here from elsewhere and moved back home. I know people (and have family members) who were born here, grew up here, and left. They haven't come back even though many of them could afford it if they really felt California was worth it.

Old 12-05-2008, 12:29 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,609,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
You must live in a bubble then. I know people who left California for college and came back. I know people who moved here from elsewhere and moved back home. I know people (and have family members) who were born here, grew up here, and left. They haven't come back even though many of them could afford it if they really felt California was worth it.
How many of them have a college degree? If you have ever lived elsewhere you know what the kind of surroundings there are in Omaha\ San Antonio\ Birmingham\ Cleveland [go for it & see how your life will change for the worse unless you are a Republican

Old 12-05-2008, 12:33 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,449,173 times
Quote:
How many of them have a college degree? If you have ever lived elsewhere you know what the kind of surroundings there are in Omaha\ San Antonio\ Birmingham\ Cleveland [go for it & see how your life will change for the worse unless you are a Republican
Quite a few of them actually. But the wealthier ones like my uncle made their money by building their own businesses, not by working for the man.

Old 12-05-2008, 12:34 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
you can have my raybans when you pry them from my dead cold fingers.
have read the CDF posts of late on chicago winter.

Old 12-05-2008, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Quite a few of them actually. But the wealthier ones like my uncle made their money by building their own businesses, not by working for the man.
It would help if you have lived outside California like I have & live in the Great Lakes\ East Coast region for 5 years. You are so down on California but don't have the experience of living elsewhere. I could have stayed in New York & maybe Chicago for a while but my roots are here & I have always loved California so it was a non issue moving back. Life is quite different & not always an issue of financial considerations. Boredom in a nice home in Oklahoma City doesn't sound very appealing

Old 12-05-2008, 12:43 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Quote:
Actually it is the educated, and solidly middle class: True Stakeholders. Ask the California Franchise Tax Board.

Stakeholders are leaving. This is more important than you think to civic infrastructure: the poor don't pay enough taxes to support nice parks, civic amenities, etc...the rich own their own or go private...the middle class and their tax dollars are fleeing; the result is decaying infrastructure and amenities.
"But the people who are leaving the state tend to be more experienced and have higher incomes than those who are left behind, said demographer Johnson. Their contributions to the state's tax base won't be quickly replaced by the low-paid immigrants crossing the border or the new crop of babies in California's maternity wards.

The domestic inflow of workers coming from other states used to supply a healthy middle-class buffer between rich and poor."
from

California exodus has far-ranging implications | The San Diego Union-Tribune

Exodus of San Francisco's middle class (California USA)

Forum - Why is California's Middle Class Deteriorating?

Old 12-05-2008, 02:19 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,155,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheri257 View Post
LOL ... I can't believe that someone is arguing snow is not a hassle but, you do have a certain talent for belaboring the point.
I have lived in an area with snow and I didn't find it to be a hassle, really. None of the things you are saying I found to be true.

Having someone plow your driveway is expensive because they know you don't have a choice? Give me a break. Any guy with a good size truck and a few thousand bucks can get into the plowing business. All you do is attach a plow to the front end and then a salting device to the back of the truck. Tons of people do this for extra cash in the winter.

Old 12-05-2008, 02:41 PM

Quote:
What amazes me is all this talk about moving out of California. I've lived here all my life & the only people I have known to leave California were attending college.
So what? Look at the data. California has a out-migration problem now. And it isn't a bunch of losers that are leaving the state, no those people are staying. Its all the middle-class skilled work force that is leaving the state.

Quote:
And the economy is in the toilet everywhere in the nation except not as bad in states like Texas where they pay dirt cheap wages & have virtually no benefits to employees.
Give me a break. California has a huge budget deficit, the 3rd highest unemployment rate in the nation. Its doing much worse than many other areas. Wages in Texas aren't "dirt cheap", similar jobs pay have similar pay and benefits. Yet the cost of living is much less. The only exceptions are jobs that are heavily unionized in California.

Quote:
It's kind of like "dumbing down" & move next to George Bush in Dallas
Just to note...Dollas is home to more corporate headquarters than any other city. Not exactly a "dumb" city.

Quote:
Oh geez, this is so sad its not even funny. You obviously know nothing about the rest of the country. All the areas you just mentioned voted democratic in the last election. And Cleveland? Are you serious? You think Cleveland is a Republican stronghold? For real!?

Here is how these areas voted:

Omaha (Douglas County): 52% Obama, 47% McCain
San Antonio (Bexar County): 52% Obama, 47T McCain
Birmingham (Jefferson County): 53% Obama, 47% McCain
Cleveland (Cuyahoga County): 69% Obama, 30% McCain

Old 12-05-2008, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Actually it is the educated, and solidly middle class: True Stakeholders. Ask the California Franchise Tax Board.

Stakeholders are leaving. This is more important than you think to civic infrastructure: the poor don't pay enough taxes to support nice parks, civic amenities, etc...the rich own their own or go private...the middle class and their tax dollars are fleeing; the result is decaying infrastructure and amenities.
"But the people who are leaving the state tend to be more experienced and have higher incomes than those who are left behind, said demographer Johnson. Their contributions to the state's tax base won't be quickly replaced by the low-paid immigrants crossing the border or the new crop of babies in California's maternity wards.

The domestic inflow of workers coming from other states used to supply a healthy middle-class buffer between rich and poor."
from

California exodus has far-ranging implications | The San Diego Union-Tribune

Exodus of San Francisco's middle class (California USA)

Forum - Why is California's Middle Class Deteriorating?
Thanks for the links, Charles

My point is that the bottom line includes moving businesses out of California to "out-of-nation" locales. It's been a disturbing trend that corporations re-locate to Mexico & China in order to avoid paying taxes. Texas is cheap because they provide very little in way of regulation & when the smog in Houston expands to Dallas then Texas will abandon encouraging corporation rape.

If you like living in the deep South more power to you. Like a lot of Californians, I could never live in such an environment.

Old 12-05-2008, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Texas is cheap because they provide very little in way of regulation & when the smog in Houston expands to Dallas then Texas will abandon encouraging corporation rape.
Texas is cheap partly because they don't have regulations that are used to do little more than inflate prices and increase tax revenue.

Want to know what is funny? California cities have worse air population problems:

Rankings - American Lung Association site (http://www.lungusa.org/site/pp.asp?c=dvLUK9O0E&b=50752 - broken link)

You see California creates regulations to steal money, not to protect the environment. But if you like being robbed...well thats your choice.

Quote:
If you like living in the deep South more power to you. Like a lot of Californians, I could never live in such an environment.
Texas is not the "deep south". Much of Texas is not much different than Southern California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California