U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 08:41 AM

1,831 posts, read 3,554,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
Aren't you using a VA 0% down loan because you haven't been able to save money? You've said yourself....that you can't save because of the costs.
Go back and read my posts. I never said that. I'm using our VA because I'd much rather put my money in the retirement accounts where I can earn a higher rate of return not just on after tax money but money I'd ordinarily have to pay in taxes. I've discussed this at length on the investment forum.

To me it makes no sense to pay down lower mortgage interest on a house when I get a tax break on that and, can defer taxes on the retirement accounts and invest that. So I save a lot of money, but it's for retirement ... not housing. I guess we could borrow on the retirement accounts for a housing down payment or reduce our contributions but, again, I really don't want to do that when I don't have to with the VA.

Especially now that I think the market is bottoming out and I want to take advantage of these low stock prices. I've actually just increased my contributions/savings to the retirement accounts and switched everything over to stocks.

Last edited by sheri257; 11-17-2008 at 09:44 AM..

Old 11-17-2008, 08:56 AM

3,668 posts, read 6,831,586 times
Quote:
Not sure if you were asking me or EscapeCalifornia, but I'll answer regardless. Lately we've been thinking about the following areas:

Portland, OR
Raleigh, NC
Austin, TX
Fort Collins (or perhaps Denver), CO
Philly Suburbs

The next step is to visit the area that seems the best from a distance (Between the both of us we've been to most of these areas, but with the exception of PA not recently). Hopefully we'll have the time in the first half of next year to visit 1-2 of these places again.

We have evaluated the negatives, but there is really only one. Namely, that both of our families are mostly in California.
Visiting is definately important. These areas vary quite a bit in terms of climates, local culture (eg - cowboy culture vs more layed back beach environment, ethnic mix, etc...), general vibe, economy, proximity to beauty (eg - mtns, ocean, etc...). And then there are some things you really only discover after living in a place for a few years such as the friendliness of the ppl toward 'outsiders' or what living through an entire winter or summer is like.

If I didn't enjoy proximity to the sea so much we may have stayed in CO. But living in the middle of the US definately limits one's ability to get in the car and DRIVE to the coast to watch a sunset for example. However if that is not as important to you then CO is a great place. There are certain things you don't realize you'll miss as much until you are gone. The coast and relatives were the biggies for us and our children.

We took an extended vacation this Spring through Oregon and were actually planning to move to Portland. It is a beautiful city which does have software jobs especially in the Silicon Forest. From Portland you can be at the coast, mtns or Columbia River Gorge all within an hour or less to the Gorge.

The economy isn't as strong as other states. This is part of the trade off as mentioned before. But with the right experience jobs can be found. Seattle has the strongest economy in the PNW. I had some nice job offers up there with full relo. But it was too far from family for my wife.

With regards to CO I do not recommend Fort Collins. The local economy is not as strong as Denver (and its surrounding burbs) and Colorado Springs. A college friend of mine recently moved back to CA after living there for 20 years. He watched various companies downsize/leave and ppl lose jobs. If downtown Denver is not to your liking check out places closer to Boulder. The economy there is stronger than Fort Collins.

Living 'closer' to family was the final deciding factor in bringing us back to CA. We have three young children and want them to know their relatives more. Otherwise Oregon would have been our next stop. Monterey has been really nice however and 'Much' different than living in SoCal - better in almost evey way. The only thing I really miss about living in CO is experiencing beautiful Fall colors. But Bishop CA has some nice Aspen groves which we plan to visit next year.

If you don't have kids living further from family won't be as much of an issue IMO. Either way just plan to fly out and visit as much as is feasible. With three children flying out much was just too impractical for us.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 11-17-2008 at 09:30 AM..

Old 11-17-2008, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Even if you remove the crap, California still has a good tech economy. But its not the be all end all as far as tech is concerned.
Seems to me like you've never really spent much time there. Regardless, if you're in the tech field and can't appreciate the significance of Silicon Valley and it's culture then moving is probably a good idea anyway.

Old 11-17-2008, 01:17 PM

1,061 posts, read 2,215,303 times
Humanoid- I'm sure you guys have already thought of this, but I'll throw it out there: regarding your family all being here, if you can successfully move elsewhere and have a lower COL with similar income, taking trips and vacationing to CA to visit family will be easy to do financially, and fun to do in terms of the kids (if you have them) enjoying an adventure once or twice a year. This is something my husband and I like to keep in mind- once we've settled in and have more expendable income, planning vacations to visit grandma and grandpa (or paying to fly grandma and grandpa to see us!) will be a lot of fun. Of all the problems a person might have with moving, I think this one's the easiest to manage . Good luck!

Old 11-17-2008, 03:53 PM

3,306 posts, read 1,347,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheri257 View Post
Go back and read my posts. I never said that. I'm using our VA because I'd much rather put my money in the retirement accounts where I can earn a higher rate of return not just on after tax money but money I'd ordinarily have to pay in taxes. I've discussed this at length on the investment forum.

To me it makes no sense to pay down lower mortgage interest on a house when I get a tax break on that and, can defer taxes on the retirement accounts and invest that. So I save a lot of money, but it's for retirement ... not housing. I guess we could borrow on the retirement accounts for a housing down payment or reduce our contributions but, again, I really don't want to do that when I don't have to with the VA.

Especially now that I think the market is bottoming out and I want to take advantage of these low stock prices. I've actually just increased my contributions/savings to the retirement accounts and switched everything over to stocks.
EDIT: Removed, irrelevant to thread topic.

But, regardless. The point is your comments are just odd, you have more than once implied that I'm wishing prices decline in California because....apparently I'm a broke mechanic or whatever else that wants to afford to buy a house. Yet, you are a nurse that went to community college? Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

I have no strong desire for California houses to decline further, in fact if they do I know a number of people that are likely to go bankrupt. If prices do not decline further I simply won't buy a house in California. That doesn't bother me one bit. Even if house prices return to affordable levels there is a good chance I'll move. My views on California houses are based solely on the data.

Last edited by Humanoid; 11-17-2008 at 04:00 PM.. Reason: Removed, comments about investing as its just not relevant..

Old 11-17-2008, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Seems to me like you've never really spent much time there. Regardless, if you're in the tech field and can't appreciate the significance of Silicon Valley and it's culture then moving is probably a good idea anyway.
I have spent time "up there" and again, the environment is just like the environment at any highly ranked university in the country. And seriously, stick to nursing. Don't tell me what I should and should not appreciate in a field you know next to nothing about.

And considering I don't even live in Northern California (and wouldn't because its far too lefty for me) your comments make no sense. What baring does what I think about Silicon Valley have on whether I move from Southern California or not?

Furthermore, why are you even posting here? Are you planning on leaving California? No....so you are basically trying to give people a hard time that are thinking about leaving.

Old 11-17-2008, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweej View Post
Humanoid- I'm sure you guys have already thought of this, but I'll throw it out there: regarding your family all being here, if you can successfully move elsewhere and have a lower COL with similar income, taking trips and vacationing to CA to visit family will be easy to do financially, and fun to do in terms of the kids (if you have them) enjoying an adventure once or twice a year.
Yeah we thought about that. We enjoy road trips so driving back for the Holidays once a year would be very enjoyable. Perhaps we would get an RV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
If I didn't enjoy proximity to the sea so much we may have stayed in CO. But living in the middle of the US definately limits one's ability to get in the car and DRIVE to the coast to watch a sunset for example.
I like the the coast and tell myself that I like to be on the coast, but really since I've been here I've only been to the beach twice. And when I was on the east coast I was pretty far from the coast and it never really bothered me. I guess having grown up near the coast it isn't such a big deal to me.

One issue is that I like more humid climates, I usually have problems with it gets too dry. That is one reason why Colorado is not top on our list.

Last edited by Humanoid; 11-17-2008 at 04:31 PM..

Old 11-17-2008, 05:02 PM

Humanoid:

Go back and read the thread, you were the one who first mentioned Silicon Valley. I was just commenting on your remarks since I spent a lot of time there.

Not sure about the pot calling the kettle black but, as a community college educated nurse I make anywhere between 130-150K a year, depending on how much OT I want to work. My base pay is $110K so ... that doesn't put me in the broke mechanic category.

As for giving people a hard time ... that's pretty funny coming from you of all people.

Last edited by sheri257; 11-17-2008 at 05:10 PM..

Old 11-17-2008, 05:13 PM

1,003 posts, read 1,386,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
- Tech hub of the country is Silicon Valley, period. There are smaller regional tech hubs. Anyone mocking Silicon Valley is jealous or ignorant of it's stature. You want a high-level career in tech, you most likely will spend some time there at some point or another.
Actually, if you did some research, you might discover that the route 128 belt in Massachusetts is the mother of much of Silicon Valley's technology base. MIT is the worlds premier engineering/high tech universities where much of the globes innovation has been pioneered. MIT (Massachusetts Institute of Technology) is ranked number one, it has no substitute.

Old 11-18-2008, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Humanoid:

Go back and read the thread, you were the one who first mentioned Silicon Valley. I was just commenting on your remarks since I spent a lot of time there.

Not sure about the pot calling the kettle black but, as a community college educated nurse I make anywhere between 130-150K a year, depending on how much OT I want to work. My base pay is $110K so ... that doesn't put me in the broke mechanic category.

As for giving people a hard time ... that's pretty funny coming from you of all people.
I don't believe you about your pay, its off the charts even for San Fransisco. Not only that its rather inconsistent with what you've said here over the last year. Why would someone making 130k+ plus whatever your husband makes be trying to decide whether to buy a house in a so-so neighborhood in the 200k range? But really, I don't care. Its not relevant to the thread nor to the point I was getting at. Namely, that you can't have a functioning state when people with average jobs (like Nursing) can't even afford a house. If you really get paid $110k/year great, but that is vastly more than most nurses.

Anyhow, someone else brought up Silicon Valley. I responded to it. Your comments about it were absolutely bizarre. Despite not knowing about technology you want to suggest that I should leave California if I don't "appreciate" Silicon Valley. Makes no sense at all, and is a bit amusing considering Silicon Valley has been slowly dying since the early 2000's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California