U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-18-2008, 07:33 AM

10 posts, read 17,381 times

Advertisements

At least I am thinking to leave California.

Old 11-18-2008, 07:37 AM

3,306 posts, read 1,491,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyer15 View Post
At least I am thinking to leave California.
What are your reasons?

Old 11-18-2008, 07:51 AM

8,257 posts, read 11,346,216 times
I'm not leaving. I LEFT! Best thing I ever did. No one to tell me what color I can paint my house. No one to tell me that I cant let someone smoke a cigarette in my business. No state income tax. Cost of living low enough that I can actually put a little $$ into savings each payday. Dont have to put up with a bunch of politically correct snobs. I was able to buy a house and acreage for what 2 years worth of rent is in California. And other than the Sierras, Tennessee is just as scenic as California!

Old 11-18-2008, 08:44 AM

26,362 posts, read 56,015,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
And other than the Sierras, Tennessee is just as scenic as California!
I'm about 150 miles east of you and yep, its pretty here in the Tennessee Valley. Jobs, mild climate (except today it's butt cold), no traffic, and affordable housing.

Good place to be right now too.

Huntsville AL, Affordable Places To Weather The Downturn - Forbes.com

Last edited by Charles; 11-18-2008 at 09:08 AM..

Old 11-18-2008, 09:00 AM

1,831 posts, read 3,632,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
I don't believe you about your pay, its off the charts even for San Fransisco. Not only that its rather inconsistent with what you've said here over the last year. Why would someone making 130k+ plus whatever your husband makes be trying to decide whether to buy a house in a so-so neighborhood in the 200k range?
Because I'd rather put more money in the retirement accounts and, it's closer to work. I make top scale $9300 a month at one of the higher paying institutions, more with overtime. Check out page 2.

http://www.cdcr.ca.gov/Career_Opport...dNurse_O_C.pdf

As for SF, I have a friend who makes $85 an hour at a hospital up there (you can make a lot more without benefits). So you may want to think twice before accusing me of lying again.

Last edited by sheri257; 11-18-2008 at 09:24 AM..

Old 11-18-2008, 09:08 AM

788 posts, read 3,054,954 times
As my user name implies--yes, I want to leave. I've been seriously looking into it for about 3 years now. I don't think it will be happening anytime soon though. I have accepted that and try not to think about it much anymore. I used to be obsessed with getting out! Now, I have a good job during very difficult times, and it will be years before I can sell my condo (which is now less than half of what I paid for it). I feel trapped. I love my job and feel very grateful for it, but I feel trapped in this condo, in this neighborhood...I hate it here, right where I am, but I don't hate the city or the state (although if I could just pick up and leave, I would.)

Old 11-18-2008, 09:27 AM

8,257 posts, read 11,346,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I'm about 150 miles east of you and yep, its pretty here in the Tennessee Valley. Jobs, mild climate (except today it's butt cold), no traffic, and affordable housing.

Good place to be right now too.

Huntsville AL, Affordable Places To Weather The Downturn - Forbes.com
Hey neighbor! Another thing i forgot to mention. The music scene in this area is SECOND TO NONE! In a 200 mile radius you have Memphis [rock & blues] Nashville [country & country rock] Jackson,Tenn. [rockabilly] and Muscle Shoals,Alabama [home of everything] We arent missing a thing here as far as entertainment. And if an educated workforce is the topic, I'll put those scientists down in Huntsville and over in Tullahoma up against anything California has to offer!

Old 11-18-2008, 09:31 AM

1,078 posts, read 2,575,769 times
A nurse with additional skills and management responsibility can easily make $100,000 plus in the bay area and los angeles, especially with overtime.

Old 11-18-2008, 09:53 AM

3,306 posts, read 1,491,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheri257 View Post
As for SF, I have a friend who makes $85 an hour at a hospital up there (you can make a lot more without benefits). So you may want to think twice before accusing me of lying again.
Why is that? I still don't believe you. Your salary isn't very consistent with the comments you've made here. I learned long ago when things don't add up from people over the internet its more often than not because they are full of it.

But really I don't care. Its not relevant. Perhaps you really make $110k or perhaps you are full of it. I have no way of really knowing. $110k/year isn't a lot of money to me.

My point again is that California can't function as a state if hard working people with normal jobs can't even afford a house and despite record declines in house prices this is still the case. You can talk about how much people like the coast all you want, but if there are no teachers, firefighters, mechanics, construction workers etc etc it doesn't matter. You have no real community.

California is turning into a place where illegals, who are living multiple families per household, are supporting a sort of aristocracy. That isn't my idea of a nice community.

Old 11-18-2008, 10:17 AM

1,831 posts, read 3,632,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
Why is that? I still don't believe you. Your salary isn't very consistent with the comments you've made here. I learned long ago when things don't add up from people over the internet its more often than not because they are full of it.
Look: I'm not trying to belabor the point but you accused me of lying about my salary. I post proof of what I make ... not to mention it's well known what Bay Area RN's make yet ... you say I'm full of it?

My priority is saving for retirement ... not putting all of my money into housing. Yeah ... I could spend another 200-400K on a house but I don't want to for obvious reasons. You, of all people, should understand that.

So why don't you lay off of the insults and get back to your anti-California rants ... if that makes you feel better.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California