Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 02:17 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times

Advertisements

It doesn't help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 02:20 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,587,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Yeah, it was eventually struck down by the Supreme Court.
Good.

Old 05-10-2010, 04:13 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,760,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
While I see where you're going with this, the problem of overpopulation is or still will be a problem. Let's say we give those who want single family suburban home what they want. As population continues to increase, we will just build more and more of them and spread farther and farther out. At some point, available space will be used up and you will end up with a huge sprawling mess. That's what LA's problem truly is. It went down this road and now has the worst of both; spread out residential and suburban types areas and too many people. It seems to make more sense to curb this tide early.

Now as far as your illegal immigrant status is concerned. I agree, yes I'm a liberal and agree that illegal immigration is out of control. It needs to be managed. But let me add that targeting the illegal (undocumented) people themselves is not the way to do it. Targeting employers is. I don't mean to turn this into another immigrant thread, however I felt I should explain my remarks.
Well, you don't have to agree on my viewpoint on overpopulation. Cities are capped by water. We need to expand on cities that haven't reached their cap for population and water. New cities where water is available and developing more mix-used developments is where we need to grow. Also, we are not going to run out of land anytime soon. National borns are having less kids than we had in the baby boomer generation. Also, get rid of some illegal immigrants and pushing Latin America's problem to Latin America will open up housing.

Obviously we can't get rid of all of the illegal immigrants here, but we can try. I agree we need to push on employers, but we also need to push on the illegal immigrants here.

Old 05-10-2010, 04:19 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,587,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
Well, you don't have to agree on my viewpoint on overpopulation. Cities are capped by water. We need to expand on cities that haven't reached their cap for population and water. New cities where water is available and developing more mix-used developments is where we need to grow. Also, we are not going to run out of land anytime soon. National borns are having less kids than we had in the baby boomer generation. Also, get rid of some illegal immigrants and pushing Latin America's problem to Latin America will open up housing.

Obviously we can't get rid of all of the illegal immigrants here, but we can try. I agree we need to push on employers, but we also need to push on the illegal immigrants here.
You are right about the water. Take that away and all will be left is a ghost town. Not only CA but all states with population problems need to fight the problem on all fronts not just one.

Old 05-10-2010, 05:13 PM

3 posts, read 4,809 times
Wow guys, I'm new here and I have to say that this post is very informative! A lot of this stuff got me thinking.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:31 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
Quote:
New cities where water is available and developing more mix-used developments is where we need to grow
But what happens when the new expanding city reaches it's cap for water and other resources?

Quote:
Also, we are not going to run out of land anytime soon
Just because we may not run out soon doesn't mean we shouldn't start being concerned now. Also, explain "soon".

Quote:
National borns are having less kids than we had in the baby boomer generation.
This is a good thing IMO because if the population were to level off, it would put less strain on resources and people could actually keep the quality of life they currently have.

Quote:
It's difficult to push on the actual immigrants without violating our own constitution and bill of rights on the way we treat people. If we do then we're no better than the other countries we claim to be superior to.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:35 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
no jobs or low paid jobs w/o benefits. we are all living on credit here, the balloon will pop soon. people fresh out of college, no work, where's the beef?
20 million mexican people w/o papers waiting to snap up any jobs.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 05-10-2010 at 10:58 PM..

Old 05-11-2010, 09:57 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,455,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
no jobs or low paid jobs w/o benefits. we are all living on credit here, the balloon will pop soon. people fresh out of college, no work, where's the beef?
20 million mexican people w/o papers waiting to snap up any jobs.
Gee, I didn't realize how many "college-educated" mez-cans were coming here to "snap up any jobs"!!

Then maybe we can find a few who'll work for alot less than our current CEO's....

Old 05-11-2010, 11:59 AM

2,654 posts, read 5,465,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
BTW, this isn't the first time we've had hordes of unskilled, uneducated, immigrant workers and their often large families, arrive here and "using up our funds". They were called "Oakies", and it was enough of a "problem" then, that they passed the "Anti-Oakie" law in 1937, making it a crime to bring any non-resident "indigent person" into the state. And ironically, alot of the loudest complaints today about "illegals", often come from the descendants of these very same Oakies & their kin.
Nice rhetorical trick, but apples do not equal oranges.

Migration across state borders by national citizens is not equivilant to migration across international borders by foreign nationals.

Also, an unskilled worker in industrial age 1937 was alot more employable then an unskilled worker in information age 2010.

Old 05-11-2010, 12:48 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,455,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Investor2 View Post
Nice rhetorical trick, but apples do not equal oranges.

Migration across state borders by national citizens is not equivilant to migration across international borders by foreign nationals.

Also, an unskilled worker in industrial age 1937 was alot more employable then an unskilled worker in information age 2010.
Then why did they pass the "anti-Oakie" law?

And what's the difference, especially when we end up paying for them all, one way or another?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California