U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-19-2008, 05:24 PM

30 posts, read 72,391 times
Default Best Place In California?

For two straight males, 22 years old, no restrictions/obligations?

We are going to be leaving Indiana, just picking up and moving, and at this point thinking either in or around L.A. or in or around SD, because SF seems too tough to get around by car and we both would like to bring our manual vehicles along with us. We are not worried about the price, we have the mindset and mentality that we will make it wherever we end up.

We do not have degrees yet, but have a few years of school completed, and after we establish residency out there we will finish school at the very reasonable in state rates offered.

We are both over 6 feet (I'm 6'1, my buddy is 6'3), good looking Caucasian guys, and I say this because it's really an unspoken truth about getting jobs/moving up anywhere--which is why we are confident.

Once we decide on a place we will make sure we have jobs/place to stay lined up through Craigslist, even if it's only temporary so we will already have a source of income and residence when we arrive (and the peace of mind).

Main factors we care about:
- Nightlife
- Beautiful women (good dating scene)
- Nice weather (fits most of CA)
- Good places to surf
- Lots to do
- Lots of people our age
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2008, 06:41 PM

26,362 posts, read 53,458,962 times
This

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmMovingSoon View Post
We are not worried about the price,
and this

Quote:
- Nightlife
- Beautiful women (good dating scene)
- Nice weather (fits most of CA)
- Good places to surf
- Lots to do
- Lots of people our age
are mutually exclusive.

Old 11-19-2008, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
This

and this

are mutually exclusive.
How so? You're statement would be true if I said "We DO care about the price." We've both visited Southern California before and love it all, but we need an area to start looking at specifically, since it is so large. We could rent a shared home/apartment in Beverly Hills for instance for under $1000 a month, so when I say money is no factor, it really isn't.

We're both extremely frugal, and rarely purchase anything other than the necessities to live. When we move to CA, this will still be true, but we are looking forward to actually have a diverse and exciting nightlife, and we don't plan on buying ten drinks every time we go out.

Old 11-19-2008, 08:57 PM
hsw

2,066 posts, read 4,204,635 times
Only one place in CA (or anywhere in US) is really relevant for those criteria: LA's Westside, esp BevHills...epicenter of LA region's economy, for job opportunities...and area attracts lots of talented, cash-poor chicks, who frequent nearby bars to meet affluent elder statesmen...capitalism at its best...

Old 11-19-2008, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
Only one place in CA (or anywhere in US) is really relevant for those criteria: LA's Westside, esp BevHills...epicenter of LA region's economy, for job opportunities...and area attracts lots of talented, cash-poor chicks, who frequent nearby bars to meet affluent elder statesmen...capitalism at its best...
Honestly, just what I needed. Thank you. I just searched Craigslist for shared housing on LA's Westside, and I'm practically salivating on my laptop . I visited California for the first time last year, and Beverly Hills and the area around UCLA stood out to me the most, almost like a getaway in the middle of the amazing city. I just didn't know those parts were referred to as the "west" of LA, but I guess my search is over. There are numerous options for housing available for incredible prices, lots of Westwood, Beverly Hills, Santa Monica, Playa del Ray, Manhattan Beach etc.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:44 AM

383 posts, read 858,123 times
LA sounds like your best bet, but be forewarned of a few things. Tall, good-looking, young Caucasian men are pretty much a dime a dozen in the LA area and many of them will already have their degrees (not to mention local connections), making them more desirable than you. Community colleges in large cities, like LA, are popular and have classes that fill up very quickly. The Cal State system turned away thousands of applicants this year and are harder to get into than they have ever been. The UC system is also reducing admissions. All schools are also raising their fees considerably.

In other words, if a degree is important to you and if you are already matriculated in a degree program where you are, your best bet is to finish before you come. If you're content working minimum wage jobs and putting off your degree completion, then I guess it doesn't matter when you come. Good luck to you. I don't meant to rain on your parade--just injecting a dose of reality.

Old 11-20-2008, 12:04 PM

10,160 posts, read 13,190,044 times
I really would compare prices of West LA vs San Diego first and make sure its worth. West LA is VERY expensive and SD is significantly cheaper for what you get. Both are great though, if your heart is set on West LA just have plenty of money saved and find a good paying job ASAP.

Old 11-20-2008, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I really would compare prices of West LA vs San Diego first and make sure its worth. West LA is VERY expensive and SD is significantly cheaper for what you get. Both are great though, if your heart is set on West LA just have plenty of money saved and find a good paying job ASAP.
In terms of residence? I've found several places in Wetwood/Beverly Hills area for under $1500 (high end apts & condos) for a master bedroom and utilities, so that'd be $750 split b/t my friend and myself. I would never have thought places there would be so reasonable.

Old 11-20-2008, 04:27 PM

10,160 posts, read 13,190,044 times
Quote:
In terms of residence? I've found several places in Wetwood/Beverly Hills area for under $1500 (high end apts & condos) for a master bedroom and utilities, so that'd be $750 split b/t my friend and myself. I would never have thought places there would be so reasonable.
If you're sharing a room in a shared apt/house then it definitely will make it more reasonable. That is what some people do here to make living costs more reasonable. You could get a 2 bedroom for the price of that in the good, happening parts of San Diego but it most likely won't be a "luxury" or "high end" place, just average. But of course its not West LA or BH, which is very nice and kind of in the center of it all.

But if you're willing to share a room in a shared apt/house then I think you can definitely make West LA/BH work. Even one of my friends had his own bedroom in a shared 3 bed apt in Beverly Hills for around $775/month, that was a pretty goo deal though but still its possible obviously.

Old 11-21-2008, 04:38 AM

3,306 posts, read 1,295,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
This is accurate, but based on this comment:

"We are both over 6 feet (I'm 6'1, my buddy is 6'3), good looking Caucasian guys, and I say this because it's really an unspoken truth about getting jobs/moving up anywhere--which is why we are confident."

I'm thinking you'll be better off in West LA. The people there are less likely to think this is completely absurd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California