U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 05:21 PM

1,383 posts, read 2,058,332 times

Advertisements

Is San Luis Obispo all it is said to be in home relocation guides and books?

I am trying to research its many attributes and I notice on the City-Data it says it has 3 hospitals. However, I only see 2 listed in the yellow pages. What happened to San Luis Obispo General?

And, the statistis for crime seem very low. Does it have the gang problems that have been discussed in Santa Maria and Santa Barbara?

Does SLO have a water problem as in the other towns in the area such as Cambria and Los Osos?

I have heard that jobs are difficult to find there? True?

Are the travel guides too rosy in their praise??
Real people want to know......

Old 11-20-2008, 06:27 PM

11,726 posts, read 24,750,155 times
Its a nice little town to escape LA or the bay area for the weekend. I'm not sure I'd want to live there though unless I was retired or independently wealthy. Its not the job center that LA/SF are and housing is still very expensive. If you're not a tenured professor at Cal Poly, I don't know where you're going to get the money to afford it.

Old 11-20-2008, 06:34 PM

1,546 posts, read 3,964,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Its a nice little town to escape LA or the bay area for the weekend. I'm not sure I'd want to live there though unless I was retired or independently wealthy. Its not the job center that LA/SF are and housing is still very expensive. If you're not a tenured professor at Cal Poly, I don't know where you're going to get the money to afford it.
I share this sentiment. It's a very nice little college town, but unless you have independent money or get a high paying job at the university, you are not likely to have much success buying a house.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:56 PM

110 posts, read 566,720 times
With the housing market the way it is now, you can actually buy a home in San Luis Obispo. It has dropped tremendously. It was interesting on the news tonight that it showed San Luis Obispo (Paso Robles) the second most expensive next to New York. I can't imagine that could be true because prices have dropped so much here.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:03 PM
Status: "get me out of the central coast!" (set 14 days ago)

3,889 posts, read 6,393,364 times
San Luis Obispo has no water issues, and is actually better off than Santa Maria with water suppies. The only gang in the county is located in Nipomo. Nipas 13. Paso Robles also has a small gang called PR13.

San Luis Obispo has a lot of care-taking jobs, teaching jobs, and government jobs, and is also a good place for local businesses. Usually if you want to live in San Luis Obispo you have to have 2 ppl paying for a house, otherwise renting apartment is your best bet.

San Luis Obispo is a lot better than Santa Barbara and Santa Maria. It has a big Costco shopping center with a good selection of stores. There is also an outlet mall and video arcade in Pismo Beach, Regal Cinemas in Arroyo Grande, Gottschalks in San Luis Obispo, and then the downtown in San Luis Obispo has a lot to see and do.

Old 11-20-2008, 11:07 PM

1,687 posts, read 3,785,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susie4 View Post
With the housing market the way it is now, you can actually buy a home in San Luis Obispo. It has dropped tremendously. It was interesting on the news tonight that it showed San Luis Obispo (Paso Robles) the second most expensive next to New York. I can't imagine that could be true because prices have dropped so much here.
Its the affordability index that they are talking about. Median real estate prices vs. median incomes.

In other words only 13.6% of the households can afford to buy a median priced home in SLO county based on the incomes that jobs pay.
SLO-Paso Robles region is famous for unaffordability - Local - San Luis Obispo (http://www.sanluisobispo.com/news/local/story/534118.html - broken link)

Old 11-21-2008, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoFacts View Post
Its the affordability index that they are talking about. Median real estate prices vs. median incomes.

In other words only 13.6% of the households can afford to buy a median priced home in SLO county based on the incomes that jobs pay.
SLO-Paso Robles region is famous for unaffordability - Local - San Luis Obispo (http://www.sanluisobispo.com/news/local/story/534118.html - broken link)
Yeah, I also forgot to mention that population growth has dramastically slowed through out the county. Unless you want to live in the boondocks of Shandon or somewhere like that you could live in the far out country-side. Paso Robles, San Luis Obispo, Templeton, Atascadero, Grover Beach, Arroyo Grande, Pismo Beach, Avila Beach, Morro Bay, Los Osos, and pretty much community coastal is going to be un-affordible unless you have one of those jobs or already have been living in the area.

San Luis Obispo is only experiencing 500 population per 10 years. (50 per year). Nipomo is the fastest growing city in the county, but I doubt you will want to live there. Nipomo is in the south country-side of the county, near Santa Maria.

Old 11-21-2008, 08:20 AM

156 posts, read 514,870 times
I own a little day spa in San Luis Obispo, and I don't know what some people are talking about when they say prices have come way down. The million dollar homes have come down, but the 400 - 600 thousand dollar homes are still just that - 400 or 600 thousand dollar homes. I just looked at a CONDO, mind you, for 528,000k by Costco - 528 for a condo???? Give me a break - built in 1986...
San Luis Obispo County is probably one of the prettiest places I've been in the United States, but you definitely have to come here with money. Jobs are scare, money is tight, and that is why I had to buy myself a job!!!

Old 11-21-2008, 08:55 PM

57 posts, read 161,939 times
Also keep in mind that it's not close to any major airports--at least 2-3 hours away. Not sure if that matters or not but it's not like living in the Bay Area or Greater LA where you have multiple airports easily accessible.

Old 11-21-2008, 11:10 PM

Here's some random info...

these 8 cities, some of them pricey to live in, are considered to be the 8 main ex-urbs of california.

1)san luis obispo
2)santa barbara
3)santa cruz
4)san rafael
5)monterey
6)Redding
7)el centro
8)Eureka

the 8 main urban cities

1)Los Angeles
2)San Francisco
3)San Jose
4)San Diego
5)Fresno
6)Sacramento
7)Long Beach
8)Oakland

4 biggest metros:

1)Southern California
2)Bay Area
3)San Diego
4)Central Valley
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California