Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 11:57 AM

203 posts, read 765,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyPhoenix View Post
I understand complaints about a lot of things here, but the weather?
The weather here is the best part of the state. You cant beat the weather. Where else can you wear sandals in the winter and not have humidity in the summer?
Maybe there are those of us who don't want to wear sandels in the winter and see the summer humidity as a reason to stay in the pool all day... Personally I am getting very tired of the dry, brown (some might say golden) grass on all the hills in the summer.

Someone mentioned that the grass isn't always greener. I am not looking for greener grass on the other side. I am looking for a different shade of green. I know that every area has it's pros and cons and yes, I am looking to get away from some of the things that I dislike about CA. On the flip side, I am also looking for new experiences. That doesn't require greener grass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2008, 12:02 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,241,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAtoGA View Post
Maybe there are those of us who don't want to wear sandels in the winter and see the summer humidity as a reason to stay in the pool all day... Personally I am getting very tired of the dry, brown (some might say golden) grass on all the hills in the summer.

Someone mentioned that the grass isn't always greener. I am not looking for greener grass on the other side. I am looking for a different shade of green. I know that every area has it's pros and cons and yes, I am looking to get away from some of the things that I dislike about CA. On the flip side, I am also looking for new experiences. That doesn't require greener grass.
You dont have to wear sandals in the winter, but out here that is an option. It is nice on weekends after wearing dress shoes all week.

Old 11-22-2008, 11:35 PM

2 posts, read 10,543 times
MY husband and I have lived in Wisconsin, 5 different cities in Texas, Indiana, Minneapolis and for the last 7 years northern CA--Grass Valley to be exact. I tell you, I am just counting the days until I can get out of this place. I absolutely detest CA! You cannot compare any major city in CA to Minneapolis in any respect. They all fall short. I am amazed how many Californians know so little about other parts of our country.

I hope we can sell our home soon, and when we do, I am never looking back. I'm going back to Minneapolis, friendly people, beautiful municipal parks, lakes, streets that are always in repair and civilization!

Old 11-22-2008, 11:48 PM

2,769 posts, read 7,232,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAtoGA View Post
If you read what I said you would have seen that I also said that I wasn't implying someone couldn't be happier outside of California. This state is not for everyone, but not everyone will be pleased when they leave as you might be. Many have left to only find out that they didn't have it so bad after all, it doesn't mean you would feel that way, but it's always best to do your research first. To each his own basically.

Old 11-23-2008, 05:37 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindenhaus5 View Post
I am amazed how many Californians know so little about other parts of our country.
This is sort of true.. Lots of native Californians have the attitude of Chauvin. However lots of Californians are ex-Minnesotans (and ex-somewheres-elsans) and do know a lot about other places. And the latter group moved to California.

Quote:
...streets that are always in repair and civilization!
This is probably changing. Maintaining pretty streets are the first things to go when the local government runs out of money.

Old 11-23-2008, 09:39 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,409,349 times
As a CA native, I can see the reasons for wanting to leave The People's Republic of California. I'm not sure if I'd even go back if I wasn't in the tech sector. CA has been completely overrun by extreme idiots of all flavors with no end in sight.

Personally I think the entire state should be declared a state of emergency. But hey, as long as a Republican governor gets elected, the veto pen can help keep the Cult of Che Guevara at bay.

Old 11-23-2008, 12:55 PM

203 posts, read 765,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j760 View Post
If you read what I said you would have seen that I also said that I wasn't implying someone couldn't be happier outside of California. This state is not for everyone, but not everyone will be pleased when they leave as you might be. Many have left to only find out that they didn't have it so bad after all, it doesn't mean you would feel that way, but it's always best to do your research first. To each his own basically.
I didn't think you were implying anything, really. I was just giving my perspective. And just to add another aspect, we are not planning on selling our current home here in CA. We are lucky enough to be able to get enough rent to cover the mortgage as we got in before the bubble. Even after the bubble burst, we still owe significantly less than the house is worth. So, on the off chance that my dream bubble gets punctured after we move, we will still be able to come back, hopefully with a different perspective on things.

Oh, and I have done plenty of research, spending the better part of 2 years checking things out online. Unfortunately, our income does not allow us to travel frequently so I have not been able to visit any area other than the one we have narrowed our search to, and there only once. But for me that visit was enough. Wonderful people, beautiful scenery, and many other things.

I agree - to each his own. I just get frustrated when I get attacked for wanting to move out of California. What is wrong with wanting a change of scenery? I don't argue the fact that CA is a beautiful place, but it is not the ONLY beautiful place in the country. Beauty can be found no matter where you go. You just have to open your eyes, and mind, to it. But beauty doesn't pay the bills and if we can find a less expensive place to live where we can be happy, I'm there.

Old 11-23-2008, 01:35 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,302,067 times
Quote:
MY husband and I have lived in Wisconsin, 5 different cities in Texas, Indiana, Minneapolis and for the last 7 years northern CA--Grass Valley to be exact. I tell you, I am just counting the days until I can get out of this place. I absolutely detest CA! You cannot compare any major city in CA to Minneapolis in any respect. They all fall short. I am amazed how many Californians know so little about other parts of our country.

I hope we can sell our home soon, and when we do, I am never looking back. I'm going back to Minneapolis, friendly people, beautiful municipal parks, lakes, streets that are always in repair and civilization!
And skyways throughout downtown so you don't have to deal with the oppressive humidity in the summer and the sub-zero temperatures in the winter

I got to spend 4 months in the summer in Minneapolis, nice city and sailing on Lake Minnetonka was very nice. 15 knots of breeze and no foul weather gear to be seen anywhere.

Old 11-23-2008, 01:39 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,782,217 times
Come to AR. We need more people.

Old 11-24-2008, 01:26 PM

1,554 posts, read 5,288,997 times
Rip Off state to who? the millions who live here and visit and love it? Some like it some don't. Does not make it a "rip off" . I've lived and been all over and CA as a whole blows away the competition. If your life revolves around owning a huge 4000 sq. ft. house then ok. Like I've said before, there is nothing offered in other states that is not offered here for recreation. Nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California