U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 02:59 PM

57 posts, read 113,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Boy View Post
Rip Off state to who? the millions who live here and visit and love it? Some like it some don't. Does not make it a "rip off" . I've lived and been all over and CA as a whole blows away the competition. If your life revolves around owning a huge 4000 sq. ft. house then ok. Like I've said before, there is nothing offered in other states that is not offered here for recreation. Nothing.
How true! CA is a very large state. You can't base everything on just what you've seen. Where I live everyone knows everyone, we have four distinct seasons, lakes, mountains, wildlife, lots of snow in season, lots of friendly people, etc. Very much different from what you might find "down south". Not a lot of jobs, but, you learn to live on a smaller income, and, ya know what? I'll just bet that I have many fewer headaches living here. You've just got to get yer priorities straight!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 05:24 PM

3,306 posts, read 1,428,356 times
The problem isn't that CA doesn't have a lot of recreation etc. The problem is that CA has very high taxes and a general high cost of living compared to some other regions that offer similar qualities of life.

Old 11-24-2008, 05:39 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,568,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
The problem isn't that CA doesn't have a lot of recreation etc. The problem is that CA has very high taxes and a general high cost of living compared to some other regions that offer similar qualities of life.
Which area's are you speaking of? I bet those other area's you're talking about are not nearly as populated. You think our taxes are high? Look at Connecticut. High cost of living is about supply and demand. Look at the most expensive places to live, Hawaii, California, New York etc. If nobody wanted to come here cost of living would be like Montana.

Old 11-24-2008, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Which area's are you speaking of? I bet those other area's you're talking about are not nearly as populated. You think our taxes are high? Look at Connecticut. High cost of living is about supply and demand. Look at the most expensive places to live, Hawaii, California, New York etc. If nobody wanted to come here cost of living would be like Montana.
High cost of living is not just about supply and demand its about government policy. Homes in California are expensive because policy not supply and demand there is after all tons of available land to build on in California. Taxes in California are high not because of supply and demand but because of large spending programs.

Texas is highly populated and has a lower cost of living the income tax is 0 and homes are almost half the cost if you compare apples-to-apples. Other things are cheaper too. But being highly populated isn't exactly an asset. There are other states that aren't as populated that still have large business districts with tons of employment opportunities. In fact they are doing far better than California which has a 8.2% unemployment rate.

The high costs in California are causing problems as can be seen by its unemployment rate. The demand isn't high as people are leaving the state. The only reason the population is growing is due to births and most of the growth there is from a particular group.

Old 11-25-2008, 01:15 AM

1,472 posts, read 1,209,198 times
Quote:
Rip Off state to who? the millions who live here and visit and love it? Some like it some don't. Does not make it a "rip off" . I've lived and been all over and CA as a whole blows away the competition. If your life revolves around owning a huge 4000 sq. ft. house then ok. Like I've said before, there is nothing offered in other states that is not offered here for recreation. Nothing.
People enjoy CA despite its ever growing faults. That is the best way to describe CA residents. Even as a CA native, I don't appreciate it when people make CA out to be the end all be all of civilization.

Oh yeah, and CA doesn't "blow away the competition." As if it were really a competition to begin with. Many other states have just as much to offer as CA, end of story.

Old 11-25-2008, 09:28 AM

203 posts, read 552,005 times
Wow. There have lots of good points made here and many opinions voiced. Hope you don't mind if I add mine. In my opinion - while CA does have many, many opportunities for recreation (I live within 30 minutes of a beach and wine tasting, and a couple hours from lakes and mountains) the problem my family has is that, because of the high cost of just about everything, we cannot afford to enjoy those opportunities. Learn to live on less? Sorry, in my area that is a joke. Don't get me wrong. We are not keeping up with the Jones' or doing without things that we need. But even with two incomes we are struggling to make ends meet.

California is NOT (IMHO) the "be all, end all" that many seem to think it is. Again, this is my opinion. It is a state just like any other state - it has it's pros and cons just like any other state. It is up to each individual to decide if the pros outweigh the cons. I've lived in northern CA my entire life and have decided that the cons have decidedly taken over the scale. To anyone who believes the opposite, keep enjoying.

Old 11-25-2008, 09:40 AM

5,612 posts, read 9,576,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
I love California and wouldn't leave for anything... Why is it a rip off..?
First I see you complaining about Yorba Linda water district, which is fifty miles from your home, and now you hate the while state..! Why are you here..>
You should spend less time on the computer and more time figuring out how to get to your promiced land...
I used to think that I would never leave LA. It was a grreat place while I was growing up and now it's just a concrete jungle filled wioth people who care about nothing except money. Money is so immportant they are destroying the veryessence of what made LA great.

I'm leaving the second I can afford to, however housing and other living expenses are so high and salaries are so low that It's very difficult to save enough to move. But I'm getting there.

Old 11-25-2008, 10:30 AM

7,376 posts, read 11,783,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
I used to think that I would never leave LA. It was a grreat place while I was growing up and now it's just a concrete jungle filled wioth people who care about nothing except money. Money is so immportant they are destroying the very essence of what made LA great.

I'm leaving the second I can afford to, however housing and other living expenses are so high and salaries are so low that It's very difficult to save enough to move. But I'm getting there.
You don't have to leave California to find the good life...!
I lived in OC for fifty years and watched it grow from nothing to what it is today. I still love OC, but when we retired we moved a little farther out.
When looking for a retirement home, our criteria was finding something close to OC, but far enough away to have a little less traffic, and a less expensive standard of living, a slower pace...
We settled in the high desert. Homes are half the cost, not a lot of traffic by LA standards, much slower pace, and we can easily return to visit friends and family in an hour or so. Best part, we still get the So Calif weather...
If you really wanted to, you could even still work in LA and commute to your job from here. Lots of people do, however I wouldn't want to. We bought our house a year before we retired and rented an aptment in OC. This was our weekend get-a-way.
You don't need to pull up stakes and leave it all behind, you can just push it aside a little..!
Come on out, the weathers fine...!

Old 11-26-2008, 10:11 AM

566 posts, read 1,277,815 times
California high desert and "the weather's fine"? No such place. What is your idea of fine weather? All the high desert places are frightfully hot in the summer and/or freezing cold in the winter. They may be cheap, but they are not CA living. I notice you left out the name of this place with such fine weather.

I'll give you and alternative. Try Prescott. Summers not as bad as the CA desert tho winters are still chilly. AZ now has a Republican government. Drive to CA in 7 hours and still get away from the CA craziness. Some friends of mine moved there from Costa Mesa and the like it.

Old 11-26-2008, 08:45 PM

Yeah living in the high desert is nothing like living on the coast. At that point you may as well move to another state with lower costs of living. The only reason this would make sense is if you are trying to stay close to family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California