Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 07:02 PM

398 posts, read 1,331,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Boy View Post
Rip Off state to who? the millions who live here and visit and love it? Some like it some don't. Does not make it a "rip off" . I've lived and been all over and CA as a whole blows away the competition. If your life revolves around owning a huge 4000 sq. ft. house then ok. Like I've said before, there is nothing offered in other states that is not offered here for recreation. Nothing.
You've got to be kidding? We pay so much more to live here than anywhere else. I love California, but things have gotten out of control in the last 10 years. If you haven't noticed it, your in LALA land. I personally prefer the East Coast, just because the people are realer,Their's alot of stuff to do, and people dont front and try to be something they're NOT, like they do out in many parts of Cali. But thats just me.

Last edited by DjRey; 11-28-2008 at 07:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2008, 09:16 AM

371 posts, read 940,885 times
hi guys with the subprime and bad economy the houses in CA have been cheaper now..but the living expenses are still high..will it drop down at all? what causes the living expenses to be so high in CA? I can afford the housing now but I think the living expenses are still pretty high

Old 11-30-2008, 10:18 AM

1,831 posts, read 5,293,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
I never understand why people debate about how hot, rainy or whatever else a place is. These are facts and the information is available on any major weather site (also available here on city data).
Because people experience the same temperature in different ways. When we were living in the desert ... I could tolerate heat a lot more than my husband so to me, the heat wasn't as bad as he thought it was. On the other hand, the cold bothered me a lot more, etc.

Old 11-30-2008, 10:22 AM

1,831 posts, read 5,293,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaythen01 View Post
hi guys with the subprime and bad economy the houses in CA have been cheaper now..but the living expenses are still high..will it drop down at all? what causes the living expenses to be so high in CA? I can afford the housing now but I think the living expenses are still pretty high
California has much more population than any other state. There's 36 million people in California ... 13 million more than Texas, which is the 2nd most populous state. More people drives up the demand for goods and services which, in turn, drives up the cost of living.

And, a lot of people are still willing to pay to live here. Even though 100,000 people leave the state each year, there are many more who stay and are willing to pay which keeps the demand high.

Old 11-30-2008, 10:39 AM

371 posts, read 940,885 times
so so far TX is one of the cheaer state to live in, pretty cheap living expenses compared to other states and that's one of the main reason I might move to TX, however with more and more people moving in, maybe it will change as more people move in the living expenses might get higher and higher....do you guys think this is true?

Old 11-30-2008, 08:10 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,155,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheri257 View Post
Because people experience the same temperature in different ways. When we were living in the desert ... I could tolerate heat a lot more than my husband so to me, the heat wasn't as bad as he thought it was. On the other hand, the cold bothered me a lot more, etc.
Yes, but its pointless talking to others about how you experience the weather. They aren't you. People always confuse their experience of weather with the actual weather though. I just find it so weird this is talked about so much despite the fact that it is so easy to look up the facts.

Just like Apple Valley. Its hot and dry and is considerably hotter than Orange County. This is just the fact. Now the heat and the dryness may not bother you, but that doesn't change the fact that its hot and dry.

Old 11-30-2008, 08:25 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,155,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheri257 View Post
California has much more population than any other state. There's 36 million people in California ... 13 million more than Texas, which is the 2nd most populous state. More people drives up the demand for goods and services which, in turn, drives up the cost of living.
"in turn, drives up the cost of living". This isn't true, if it was you'd expect to see the areas with low population with the cheapest costs and that just isn't the case. For one thing most goods and services can come across state lines, there are only a few exceptions to this most notably real estate.

Highly populated areas in Texas have a lower cost of living of many similarly populated areas in California or other high costs states. Also, in the case of Texas most of the population is in an area the size of Southern California.

The size of the population isn't the issue here, its government policy.

But government policies that inflate the cost of things can only last so long, sooner or latter they will have an effect on the real economy and people/business will move until the costs start to make sense again. This is exactly what is happening to California and other high costs areas. California has out-migration and a huge unemployment problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California