Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2013, 09:37 AM

1 posts, read 1,224 times

Advertisements

I know this type of question gets asked a lot but I need to ask for my own information. I am full aware of the cost of living and traffic and crime. My wife and I have fallen in love with so cal. and really want to move there. Now we have three daughters ages 5 10 and 15 and so we would like to find a family friendly city with good schools. As far as budget it kinda depends on opportunity we can find. I am a graphic artist/ designer and my wife is in the medical and travel industries. Mainly this all revolves around family and the best places for that. I have looked in to Orange County and San Diego. That's my situation and we live currently in southern Idaho. For what I do there is not much of a market for it. Thanks for any help that I can get.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2013, 09:39 AM

1,420 posts, read 3,173,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayh2o View Post
As far as budget it kinda depends on opportunity we can find. .
There's not much we can tell you until we get more information from you..

Can you at least provide a ball park figure of your housing budget? $250K? $500K? $750K?

More importantly where would you two be working?

Old 11-26-2013, 03:35 PM

37,058 posts, read 42,023,443 times
It doesn't sound like you would have solid jobs/careers, more like freelance stuff. Is that how it's working for you in Idaho? Because that's probably how it would work in CA as well. Where do you have family and friends? I wouldn't up and move to CA "just because" you liked it on that one vacation or without cause, especially with teenagers but that's just me. If you have a base here, reason to be here, and some kind of network or support that you are missing now, a good career opportunity, etc. then it would be more reasonable. Only you know your backstory and the why's of your desire to move. You probably won't make more money and if you do it won't go as far anyway.

Old 11-26-2013, 07:30 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,807,548 times
Why are you assuming So Cal = crime?

Old 11-27-2013, 01:37 PM

1,014 posts, read 1,565,429 times
So what is your question?

Old 11-27-2013, 07:33 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,295,095 times
Are you looking to rent? Buy? Do you gave job prospects? Do you have the financial reserves to rent or buy?

Old 11-28-2013, 12:52 AM

30,871 posts, read 36,796,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayh2o View Post
I know this type of question gets asked a lot but I need to ask for my own information. I am full aware of the cost of living and traffic and crime. My wife and I have fallen in love with so cal. and really want to move there. Now we have three daughters ages 5 10 and 15 and so we would like to find a family friendly city with good schools. As far as budget it kinda depends on opportunity we can find. I am a graphic artist/ designer and my wife is in the medical and travel industries. Mainly this all revolves around family and the best places for that. I have looked in to Orange County and San Diego. That's my situation and we live currently in southern Idaho. For what I do there is not much of a market for it. Thanks for any help that I can get.
Be careful about "falling in love" with a place. Vacationing in SoCal and working your butts off to pay the high rents/home prices are two completely different experiences. If you didn't have 3 kids I might say it's worth the risk...but with 3 kids, it doesn't sound like your plan is nearly solid enough (no solid employment prospects, etc.).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: