Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2009, 05:54 PM

1,831 posts, read 5,293,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludachris View Post
If it were simply a matter of overinflated prices, ALL homes in Silicon Valley would be affected or would have been affected from the start, and that is not the case. The more desirable areas in CA are still holding their value pretty well considering all that's going on.
That was true a few months ago ... not anymore. Yes, the wealthier areas have taken longer to come down but ... Silicon Valley took a major hit just in the last month with significant price drops. The nicer areas are finally coming down in a major way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 05:59 PM

961 posts, read 2,566,461 times
sheri257 - That is what I have been reading all over the place too. The most desirable areas take longer to feel the pinch, but eventually they all will. We took a huge loss on our house in Santa Cruz last April. That was well before most of the you know what hit the fan. People are just in denial I guess. I know I wanted to be when it was us losing everything.

Old 02-08-2009, 02:26 PM

222 posts, read 862,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludachris View Post
Hey Grumbler, what are your thoughts on Boise? I have an uncle living in the Bay Area talking about moving out there. I'm hoping he doesn't since we'd like to move back to CA to be closer to family, them being part of that equation. But he speaks so highly of Boise. Part of it is the old "grass is greener" syndrome, but maybe some of it is not. It seems similar to the Denver area in terms of climate so I couldn't really try to talk him out of it since we can't complain about the weather here (it's going to be 68 degrees here today yet again).
Well, I wish we had moved into one of the older neighbors near Hill Rd rather than this mid-90s suburban area in southeast Boise. Where you live will play a major impact on how you personally feel about living in Boise.

Instead of the ocean or, for that matter, being within 30 minutes (depending on traffic) of the coast, we're minutes away from the Boise River. The major advantage we have here compared to California as far as seeing the rivers, mountains, lakes, and so forth is that we can go anytime without worrying about congestion.

However, SH-55 btw Boise/Eagle and McCall does get plenty of traffic on Friday afternoons while northbound, and Sunday afternoons when southbound. Still, that's nothing compared to Hwy 17 btw Los Gatos and Santa Cruz.

We also have the Winter-Spring-Summer-Fall seasons. Winters might be too cold and summers too hot for those used to a more moderate climate.

Am not concerned about the job market as I'm an early retiree. My wife works as a substitute for the school district. We don't need to earn all that much to live in relative comfort here. That's not possible in the South Bay.

Would we move back to the South Bay? Absolutely not! We might consider relocating to the redwood coast or southern Oregon, but we're more likely to move into a smaller, older home here in Boise after our daughters move out.

BTW, my niece and her SO moved to Aurora, CO. They used to live in the South Bay then relocated to Chico, and both graduated from CSU. They visited us and loved it here in Boise, and even found a home they both wanted.

Unfortunately, her SO couldn't find the right job then, out of the blue, got an offer from CO which is why they're in CO rather than ID.

Old 06-14-2009, 07:29 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Golden State losing folks as old dust bowl beckons | Penn State News | Travel - Centre Daily Times (http://www.centredaily.com/living/travel/story/1344611.html - broken link)

Old 06-22-2009, 03:23 PM

14 posts, read 48,235 times
Come to Indiana. Cost of living and housing is awesome. No smog!

Old 06-22-2009, 03:33 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonflyer View Post
Come to Indiana. Cost of living and housing is awesome.
How's the weather?

"As recession crashed down on the global economy, the US states faces major unemployment crisis and among the worst hit states is Indiana."

from

Indiana Unemployment Rate Reaches 10.6 %

Last edited by Charles; 06-22-2009 at 03:50 PM..

Old 06-23-2009, 12:33 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,567,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Golden State losing folks as old dust bowl beckons | Penn State News | Travel - Centre Daily Times (http://www.centredaily.com/living/travel/story/1344611.html - broken link)
An article about people from Sacramento moving to Oklahoma in a central Pennsylvanian newspaper? Must have been a slow day.

I'll move to Pittsburgh if I ever leave California. I grew up in PA, never disliked it (other than the humidity) and could buy something huge there for what I pay now.

Old 06-23-2009, 01:11 AM

230 posts, read 623,461 times
I left San Luis Obispo County 6 years ago, after growing up in California. We had an opportunity near Seattle, and saw what we could buy for the same $$. We also THOUGHT that we hated the predictability of the SLO weather. Boy.. was I wrong! It's one of those conundrums. You can get a fabulous house in other areas, but if you are one of those people that cares about the weather, or notices it, then be careful choosing your new location. It takes about 3 years to really get the feeling for the new town you've chosen, and how the weather, etc., will affect you.

Yeah.. I can get a gorgeous house up here in Seattle! But.. unfortunately, because it's gray and gloomy for 9 months out of the year (no lie) you don't really get to enjoy it. People get all excited here from July 1st to September 10th, because that is the only time you can count on any consistent sunshine. This past fall and spring has been unusual, in that it's been sunnier. Let's just put it this way... the longest stretch in history in this area for no rain has been 51 days. And those 51 days were in July/August back in the 40s.

My point is this. I think it's a great idea to find a new place to live if you'd like a different quality of life. BUT be really as realistic as possible about the new place. Don't dismiss the negative comments you might read online, as I did, about the new place. Now, some of my family who moved here is perfectly happy with the weather, and the others hate it. But it's about 70/30% on that.

Much of what I miss is not directly attributable to the weather, but it's the cause and effect. I took things like fresh produce, eating outdoors, having outdoor parties, not having cold feet all the time, for granted. For others, that may not be important, but it is to me.

I am considering a move back to SLO.. and if not, then perhaps Southern Oregon, which gets the same amount of rain as SLO area, and has the things like fresh produce, wineries, and that warm outdoorsy lifestyle. Do your research, rent before you buy in your new state. Don't assume that people living in those other areas are just being negative -- I should have listened to them.

Old 06-23-2009, 06:39 AM

19 posts, read 56,580 times
you should look into Memphis Tennesse, or Dayton Ohio, or Scranton PA. Why? i don't know.

Old 06-23-2009, 07:48 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,615,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cityadventurer View Post
you should look into Memphis Tennesse, or Dayton Ohio, or Scranton PA. Why? i don't know.
Dude, I read your other posts, all from this morning. Put the pipe down and get some sleep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California