Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 02:14 PM

14 posts, read 40,695 times

Advertisements

Hello magnificent people

I am coming to Fresno in 2 month. I am an international student with a wife and a child and I am staying in USA for years. I really wanna exploit this opportunity and visit lots of places in USA when there is time for that. What are the places? Are there tourist trips everywhere. Advise me. And what about the city I am stuck in, Fresno?

Regards
Stuckinfresno
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 02:41 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Just wait FresnoFacts will be here shortly....

Old 06-10-2010, 02:46 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
It is a very big country. What kinds of places are you interested in? Major cities? National Parks?

Since you'll be in Fresno, start with seeing Yosemite and Sequoia/Kings Canyon. Visit San Francisco and the central coast.

Old 06-10-2010, 03:18 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,073,729 times
Here are some ideas to start. I'll talk in terms of private auto driving time but if you do not plan to have an auto while here you can also look into bus, rail or air travel.

Some of the first things you will want to do are visit Yosemite and Sequoia/Kings Canyon National Parks. Yosemite Valley is only a 2 hour drive from Fresno, Sequoia/Kings Canyon is a 1 hour drive. You will want to see the Giant Sequoia trees, the waterfalls at Yosemite, the high granite walls of both Yosemite Valley and the Kings Canyon, etc.

Then plan a trip to the California coast. The Monterery/Carmel area is about a 2.5 hour drive. From there you can go south to see the Big Sur coast, it is stunning.

For a look at the larger California and Nevada cities and tourist sites, San Francisco is a 3 drive and Los Angeles is a 3.5 hour drive. Las Vegas is about a 6 hour drive, although there are also inexpensive air fares from Fresno to Las Vegas.

Then you can think about visiting San Diego, the Grand Canyon, Death Valley, Lake Tahoe, and more. Just sightseeing in California, Arizona, and Nevada can keep you busy for a long time.

Around Fresno, you can tour the Underground Gardens all dug by hand (it is a home and fruit trees located below ground). You might think about whitewater rafting the Kings River just east of the city (it is class III rapids which is good for beginners to intermediate to start with). Attend some American sporting events like Fresno State football games. That is just a start.

Fresno is home to people from nearly 90 different ethnic groups. So you might be adventurous and get out to try food from different cultures than yours. There are many ethnic festivals where you can experience music, dance, etc from them too. If you are staying in this country in summer you can do things like traditional US Fourth of July (Independence Day) festivals, etc.

Fresno is located in the top agricultural region in the US. So in spring you might drive the Blossom Trail, in the late spring to fall seasons drive the Fruit Trail and try just-picked fresh fruit grown locally.

The Fresno State International Student office has advice on sites to see while living here and how to travel around the state at this web page.
Travel

Old 06-10-2010, 03:38 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinfresno View Post
Hello magnificent people

I am coming to Fresno in 2 month. I am an international student with a wife and a child and I am staying in USA for years. I really wanna exploit this opportunity and visit lots of places in USA when there is time for that. What are the places? Are there tourist trips everywhere. Advise me. And what about the city I am stuck in, Fresno?

Regards
Stuckinfresno
wow, where to start? The shores of Ca and Lake Tahoe plus San Francisco and Yosemite for starters. Then head up to the Redwood country and maybe visit the wine country (depending on where you are moving from) Outside of CA there is Yellowstone, Bryce, Grand Canyon and Zion. Vegas is exciting at anytime of the year. The eastcoast holds so much of our history, from Williamsburg Va all the way to New England. Between the two coasts there are the mountains of Colorado and the natural beauty of AR and So Mo. Then you can head south into Al and Ga (Savannah particularly) Of course there are the beaches of No and So Carolina and the old mansions in Charleston plus the night life in New Orleans.

I have left out so many wonderful sights, but these are the ones that come to mind. Oh and don't forget NYC and Chicago.

As for Fresno, you can look at the bright side of things, it is close to Yosemite, the Redwoods, not that far from Sac and even not all that many hours from San Francisco.

NIta

Old 06-10-2010, 03:50 PM

Thumbs up Thank you FresnoFacts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoFacts View Post
Here are some ideas to start. I'll talk in terms of private auto driving time but if you do not plan to have an auto while here you can also look into bus, rail or air travel.

Some of the first things you will want to do are visit Yosemite and Sequoia/Kings Canyon National Parks. Yosemite Valley is only a 2 hour drive from Fresno, Sequoia/Kings Canyon is a 1 hour drive. You will want to see the Giant Sequoia trees, the waterfalls at Yosemite, the high granite walls of both Yosemite Valley and the Kings Canyon, etc.

Then plan a trip to the California coast. The Monterery/Carmel area is about a 2.5 hour drive. From there you can go south to see the Big Sur coast, it is stunning.

For a look at the larger California and Nevada cities and tourist sites, San Francisco is a 3 drive and Los Angeles is a 3.5 hour drive. Las Vegas is about a 6 hour drive, although there are also inexpensive air fares from Fresno to Las Vegas.

Then you can think about visiting San Diego, the Grand Canyon, Death Valley, Lake Tahoe, and more. Just sightseeing in California, Arizona, and Nevada can keep you busy for a long time.

Around Fresno, you can tour the Underground Gardens all dug by hand (it is a home and fruit trees located below ground). You might think about whitewater rafting the Kings River just east of the city (it is class III rapids which is good for beginners to intermediate to start with). Attend some American sporting events like Fresno State football games. That is just a start.

Fresno is home to people from nearly 90 different ethnic groups. So you might be adventurous and get out to try food from different cultures than yours. There are many ethnic festivals where you can experience music, dance, etc from them too. If you are staying in this country in summer you can do things like traditional US Fourth of July (Independence Day) festivals, etc.

Fresno is located in the top agricultural region in the US. So in spring you might drive the Blossom Trail, in the late spring to fall seasons drive the Fruit Trail and try just-picked fresh fruit grown locally.

The Fresno State International Student office has advice on sites to see while living here and how to travel around the state at this web page.
Travel
I don't know how thank you enough. Thank you very very very very much. You are a great help.

Old 06-10-2010, 04:05 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,073,729 times
My pleasure to help. I have been fortunate over the years to meet a few international students attending Fresno State who attended different activities and events around the Fresno area. I do not know what country you are from but this year students from 30 different countries graduated from the university.

I hope you enjoy the opportunity to explore American culture while you are here.

Old 06-10-2010, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
It is a very big country. What kinds of places are you interested in? Major cities? National Parks?

Since you'll be in Fresno, start with seeing Yosemite and Sequoia/Kings Canyon. Visit San Francisco and the central coast.
Thank you very much. Peace

Old 06-10-2010, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
wow, where to start? The shores of Ca and Lake Tahoe plus San Francisco and Yosemite for starters. Then head up to the Redwood country and maybe visit the wine country (depending on where you are moving from) Outside of CA there is Yellowstone, Bryce, Grand Canyon and Zion. Vegas is exciting at anytime of the year. The eastcoast holds so much of our history, from Williamsburg Va all the way to New England. Between the two coasts there are the mountains of Colorado and the natural beauty of AR and So Mo. Then you can head south into Al and Ga (Savannah particularly) Of course there are the beaches of No and So Carolina and the old mansions in Charleston plus the night life in New Orleans.

I have left out so many wonderful sights, but these are the ones that come to mind. Oh and don't forget NYC and Chicago.

As for Fresno, you can look at the bright side of things, it is close to Yosemite, the Redwoods, not that far from Sac and even not all that many hours from San Francisco.

NIta
Nita thanks a lot

Old 06-10-2010, 04:45 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
I told you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California