Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 10:12 PM

15 posts, read 61,062 times

Advertisements

Our family is leaving from Seattle, WA, to Kentucky leaving the second week of December. We're going to be taking our time b/c we have two small kids. We were thinking of maybe driving down to Yosemite and taking the southern route towards the east coast.

My question is, is it worth the possible bad driving conditions/weather to risk going into Yosemite at this time of the year?

Suggestions? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2008, 10:52 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,007,664 times
If you're a good driver and used to the possible road conditions, Yosemite is worth it. It's much more tranquil that time of year.

Old 11-26-2008, 11:30 PM

1,504 posts, read 6,149,881 times
Winter is not the best time to visit Yosemite. Highway 120 across Sierra Nevada is closed, so is Glacier Point Road (the road that you can take to the summit high above the valley). Waterfalls, one of the main attractions of the park, are down to a trickle or completely off. But it's still pretty and fairly deserted. Whereas during the early summer there are people everywhere.

Also consider the route through Lake Tahoe and Death Valley.

Old 11-27-2008, 07:55 AM

607 posts, read 2,367,398 times
If you have never been to Yosemite, find a way to visit. Rent an AWD vehicle or bring chains as the snow could fly anytime. If you're lucky enough to see snow covered peaks, you'll never forget it! Usually there is less people traffic in the winter as well. Have fun and enjoy one of the many wonders of CA.

Old 11-27-2008, 08:15 AM

60 posts, read 435,674 times
Winter is a fantastic time to visit. Growing up, my family would to to Yosemite most winters. It is a great place for hiking, for ice skating (at the outdoor rink in Yosemite Valley), skiing, sledding, and just playing in the snow and making snowmen. It is a better trip if you are prepared, just like visiting any other snowy place. It is also hard to tell if it will be snowy in late December. I think January is when it gets the most snow. It is such a gorgeous park, it is always an inspiration to visit.

Here is a link with information about the park - you can check road conditions, etc.

Yosemite National Park - Visiting in Winter (U.S. National Park Service)

You usually need to put on chains on your car in the winter as well.

-gmkarr

Old 11-27-2008, 10:31 AM

764 posts, read 2,036,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beth100 View Post
Our family is leaving from Seattle, WA, to Kentucky leaving the second week of December. We're going to be taking our time b/c we have two small kids. We were thinking of maybe driving down to Yosemite and taking the southern route towards the east coast.

My question is, is it worth the possible bad driving conditions/weather to risk going into Yosemite at this time of the year?

Suggestions? Thanks.
Definitely! It will be beautiful! Bring your chains and warm clothes.

Old 11-27-2008, 07:17 PM

15 posts, read 61,062 times
thanks so much!!

Old 11-30-2008, 06:54 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Yes. It is gorgeous in the snow!

Old 11-30-2008, 08:02 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,603,599 times
Yosemite is worth seeing at all times of the year.
When I first read this thread a few days ago I did not read it thru. If you are taking highway 10 east it would well be worth the trip thru. Just take the southern exit toward highway 41. You could take 58 east to avoid LA. I enjoy getting trip tics from the auto club.

Also note worthy is the coastal redwoods in Mendocino and Big Sur.
Off highway 4 is Calaveras Big Trees, larger in width redwoods. These are the redwoods Mark Twain wrote about.

Old 11-30-2008, 10:03 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,492,357 times
Yosemite is definitely worth it, it is one of the best places in the world in the winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California