Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 10:07 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,760,223 times

Advertisements

I have been briefly paying attention to what has been going on in with this mall. I'm wondering what the heck is wrong with this picture?

What are the current plans for this mall?

How can the mall function with 50% occupancy?

It has to be the worse mall I've ever seen now. And the new plans for the mall is to make the Gottschalks part open-air. And how will that help?

They need to build that new theater and get some new department stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 11:09 AM

3,722 posts, read 14,723,432 times
Nobody cares about this mall or any other malls on the central coast.

Old 12-06-2008, 09:04 PM

130 posts, read 524,545 times
Whenever I go to the mall I try and get in and out of there as quick as possible. The entire second floor is very.... "bouncy" and it feels unstable like its going to collapse.

Old 12-06-2008, 09:22 PM

268 posts, read 817,374 times
Anchor with Gottschalks? The company is not doing very well. Reminds me of Mervyns, who died. The town center mall is a gang magnet, I avoid the place.

Old 12-07-2008, 12:08 PM

10 posts, read 38,856 times
This is very interesting as I am determining whether or not to live in SM. Is the mall really only at 50% occupancy?

Old 12-07-2008, 04:55 PM

4,070 posts, read 5,605,929 times
Santa Maria is hurting in more ways than 5. They should have never torn down the movie theater on broadway. That city has NO identity, except for the tap room and shaw's

Old 12-18-2008, 10:49 PM

so what is going on with this mall? what is their re-development plan?

i heard they want to add a theater where gottschalks was, an old navy where steve and barry's was, and a forever 21 where mervyn's was and then add a borders outside the mall in a new courtyard shopping area.

but i am not sure if this plan is true or not. i think their new plan in this economy is to tear down the old enclosed 80s mall and sell to some other developer to be rebuilt into a lifestyle shopping center.

Old 12-19-2008, 09:55 AM

371 posts, read 1,822,949 times
The SM mall is a perfect example of horrible planning. When they built it they were still using engineers to plan the city--so they built a massive parking garage that is perpetually empty--they lose money on its debt service every year.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:08 PM

has anyone heard about what their exact plan for redevelopment is?

Old 01-23-2009, 02:14 AM

13 posts, read 61,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
I have been briefly paying attention to what has been going on in with this mall. I'm wondering what the heck is wrong with this picture?

What are the current plans for this mall?

How can the mall function with 50% occupancy?

It has to be the worse mall I've ever seen now. And the new plans for the mall is to make the Gottschalks part open-air. And how will that help?

They need to build that new theater and get some new department stores.
Just out of curiosity, where are you getting your info from?

As much as I dislike that mall, the new owners have done a lot of work to it in terms of aesthetics. Many minor things here and there, such as the new paint inside and out, benches, cafe tables, over all cleanliness, have really began to add up.

It's doubtful that Gottschalks is going to be open air-- why bother doing that? There is nothing economically fesable about that. Where will that happen at? Its old space is torn up, unusable, due to that theater that many think should open up, but more than likely never will. It's also doubtful that any new stores will open in there, as malls over all are pretty much defunct. Malls were a fad that ended up biting a major chunk out of many cities asses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California