U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-02-2009, 05:48 PM
 
Location: RSM
5,113 posts, read 17,475,204 times
Reputation: 1892

Advertisements

making a point about certain drugs being illegal for a short time makes no impact on the fact that they are dangerous and addictive. its a strawman
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-03-2009, 10:36 AM
 
6 posts, read 12,124 times
Reputation: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellaslover View Post
you guys are crazy...you really want marijuana legalized?? i understand that people still smoke it but since it's illegal it's only limited to smoking at parties or at home...and smoking marijuana is not the same as smoking tobacco. marijuana affects you right away, cigarettes affect you in 20yrs when you get cancer. we already have enough problems with people driving drunk, we don't need high drivers. And kids will think it's ok to smoke it since it's legal + it will be much easier to get
people are already doing bad things, this doesn't mean we have to legalize it just so because it's happening anyways..
come on people
if it's legalized it'll less limited?... 18th and 21st Amendments....that's all I should have to say...

Seriously people, before trying to predict what will or will not be beneficial
to America, please at least look at our history. During prohibition we got nothing done...it was the biggest waste of time, energy, money, and life ever. It created the largest organized crime cartels we'd ever seen and thousands of people lost their live because of it; police, gangsters and innocent civilians.

There's also another problem in your logic (or lack there of imo) when you say smoking cannabis is a bad thing...I can see how you could consider alcohol a bad thing as I do, but cannabis has been proven over and over again to have NO direct threats to your body or mind at all. Every last "study" done on it that is propagated by the government had a very fundamental or elementary flaw; such as monkeys being suffocated with pure 100% tetrahydrocannabinol and 0% oxygen and then claming that the dying brain cells were being eradicated due to hightened levels of THC. They didn't even consider that it could be possible that depriving a monkey (which has two times the respitory rate that we do) of oxygen for four minutes strait could kill brain cells :/

Or we could just fill in the blank and say that they left those facts out on purpose just so they could make their false point...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2009, 04:23 PM
 
3,283 posts, read 4,673,811 times
Reputation: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
making a point about certain drugs being illegal for a short time makes no impact on the fact that they are dangerous and addictive. its a strawman

so are booze and cigarettes! but all of that is irrelevant, as far as i'm concerned it's an issue of civil liberty. if someone chooses to smoke pot, take heroin, acid, coke or x that is their perogative. they must live with their decision, enjoy the ride and deal with the consequences. having read some of your posts however i've decided that you don't quite grasp the concept of freedom!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2009, 05:09 PM
 
Location: California
11,436 posts, read 17,166,596 times
Reputation: 12500
I don't care if weed was legal but crack, heroin and such is insane, some people need to be protected from themselves, a good example is seatbelts they had to pass a law for something that should be common sense.
You can't have a policy of anything goes, it just isn't smart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2009, 05:31 PM
 
Location: Earth
17,446 posts, read 23,986,020 times
Reputation: 7283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
I don't care if weed was legal but crack, heroin and such is insane, some people need to be protected from themselves, a good example is seatbelts they had to pass a law for something that should be common sense.
You can't have a policy of anything goes, it just isn't smart.
I agree with you about crack, but how would heroin maintenance programs be that different from methadone maintenance programs which already exist (and were the only anti-drug policy the US ever undertook which actually reduced drug use?)

Britain used to have programs in which addicts could get prescriptions for heroin ; they were eliminated out of a political mood to "get tough on drugs", but the Brits found out that with American style drug policies came American style crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2009, 05:40 PM
 
3,283 posts, read 4,673,811 times
Reputation: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
I don't care if weed was legal but crack, heroin and such is insane, some people need to be protected from themselves, a good example is seatbelts they had to pass a law for something that should be common sense.
You can't have a policy of anything goes, it just isn't smart.


prohibition of anything does not work! i really don't get this idea that if they legalized the hard stuff everyone would suddenly turn into junkies. in my day i used a little coke, some x, a bit of acid, weed etc. most of my buds did too. we generally respected the dangers and either by choice or by duress, we ended our experimentation.

by duress i mean that some of my friends went a little harder than others. this was usually followed by poor test scores, the odd dude getting canned by work or significant other, life in general. by choice meaning we saw what the general direction our fun and games were headed.

as far as i'm concerned the dea have been in possession of too many of my civil liberties for way too long. they've also enjoyed too many of my tax dollars. on the balance of things i'd say that they and the cartels they keep in business are far more dangerous than the drugs they're failing to control!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2009, 09:07 PM
 
Location: los angeles
5,031 posts, read 11,317,985 times
Reputation: 1490
There are drug treatment programs that prescribe marijuana for addicts. Called "harm reduction" the approach is substituting marijuana for hard core drugs plus the calming effects of marijuana helps in drug withdrawal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2009, 10:10 AM
 
6 posts, read 12,124 times
Reputation: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
There are drug treatment programs that prescribe marijuana for addicts. Called "harm reduction" the approach is substituting marijuana for hard core drugs plus the calming effects of marijuana helps in drug withdrawal.


I've heard about this but I'm not sure it's a good idea. "hard" drug abusers usually are addicts because they have an addictive personality which means that the addiction is much more than physical but psychologically too. The problem with this is that cannabis can be (just like cerial, reading, running or anything else u may love) psychologically addictive too just because it's enjoyable. The problem is that ppl r running around talking about how we can't legalize weed because it's "addictive" when it isn't Any more physically addictive than candy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2009, 03:43 AM
 
3,283 posts, read 4,673,811 times
Reputation: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
There are drug treatment programs that prescribe marijuana for addicts. Called "harm reduction" the approach is substituting marijuana for hard core drugs plus the calming effects of marijuana helps in drug withdrawal.

my understanding is that many of these programmes are court enforced? the problem is the way they define addicts. when i was much younger i partied pretty hard but it was never a problem. if i'd been caught though i would probably have been assigned to one of these programmes or do jail time. either way, it would've been an attack on my constitutional rights and a huge waste of taxpayer money!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2009, 09:40 AM
 
6 posts, read 12,124 times
Reputation: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
my understanding is that many of these programmes are court enforced? The problem is the way they define addicts. When i was much younger i partied pretty hard but it was never a problem. If i'd been caught though i would probably have been assigned to one of these programmes or do jail time. Either way, it would've been an attack on my constitutional rights and a huge waste of taxpayer money!
qft
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top