U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2007, 07:33 AM

20 posts, read 128,646 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,
I've been looking at apartments in Venice recently, and I've read some conflicting reports regarding the nature of the city. Out of curiosity, is it a relatively safe place? I've heard there are lots of hippie-bohemian types, which I don't necessarliy consider to be a bad thing. Is it an artsy community, or just filled with vagrants and transients? Lots of gang activity? Is it safe to go out to the bars at night and then walk home? Anyway, if you folks could shed some light on any of these questions, I would really appreciate it. Almost forgot... does venice resemble Santa Monica in regards to the yuppie factor?
Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2007, 08:04 AM

989 posts, read 5,271,194 times
Venice has cleaned up for the past ten years. IMO, it's still junk. Sundays are great on the Ocean Front Walk-that's about it. If you're an artist, tagger, or bum you might like it also. The graffiti problem is pretty bad in Venice since they have that wall on which "they allow graffiti." Gangs do have a presence in Venice.

The area around and south of Washington Blvd.(near marina del rey) is the nicest and would be safe to walk at night.

The area around Rose/Venice is less safe and can be a little sketchy at night. ( I wouldn't do it.)

Old 03-01-2007, 09:49 AM

17,449 posts, read 22,434,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phree_spirit View Post
Hey everyone,
I've been looking at apartments in Venice recently, and I've read some conflicting reports regarding the nature of the city. Out of curiosity, is it a relatively safe place? I've heard there are lots of hippie-bohemian types, which I don't necessarliy consider to be a bad thing. Is it an artsy community, or just filled with vagrants and transients? Lots of gang activity? Is it safe to go out to the bars at night and then walk home? Anyway, if you folks could shed some light on any of these questions, I would really appreciate it. Almost forgot... does venice resemble Santa Monica in regards to the yuppie factor?
Thanks!
I'd say all of the above are correct to some extent.

Venice varies greatly ; it has some fantastic areas and some complete hellholes ridden with gangs, drug sales, street prostitution, etc. and everything in between. Some parts of Venice personify the old "California Dream", other parts are a nightmare.

Be sure to check the street you're planning to live on. Things can change drastically within a couple blocks. In general, avoid anything between Rose on the north, Abbott Kinney on the west, Lincoln on the east, and California Ave. on the south. And unless you're a methhead stay off the sand at night.

The best parts of Venice are the Canals and the southern beach area south of Venice Blvd.

Old 03-06-2007, 06:55 PM

20 posts, read 128,646 times
Thanks for the info. You mentioned that it might behoove me to stay off the sand at night -same deal in Santa Monica? Can you have bonfires in venice beach (dockweiler state beach) once the sun goes down?

Old 03-06-2007, 10:31 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,965,156 times
Venice is sort of a microcosm of LA in general.

Some great parts (doesn't Julia Roberts live there or did?), and some very dangerous, very sad parts. Last year for example, a kid was shot and killed in the parking lot of Venice High school.

Is it just me, or is Lincoln getting sadder every year (say, between rose and venice)?

Here's a map..

http://www.google.com/maps?q=Venice,...i=map&ct=image

South of Washington, towards the Marina, it gets great. There's some great restaurants overlooking the water down there, very nice area.

Santa Monica is more yuppy-ish (esp as you get north to Montana).

Old 03-07-2007, 07:31 PM

1,749 posts, read 7,470,803 times
Default Spend some time there...

Venice is a little gritty, a lot trendy and attracts some crusty people. Spend some time there at all hours of the day. A day will do it. I'd love to live there. People who love boring, sanitised places like Newport Beach will tell you it's a slum. It's all what you're looking for. I've heard accounts of personal crime from people I knew but none for a few years.

Old 03-22-2007, 05:46 PM

29 posts, read 244,089 times
Would you recommend Santa Monica over Venice?

Old 05-16-2009, 12:16 PM

1 posts, read 13,384 times
If you dont mind drug assasinations carried out in the street in plain view, destitute people some with diseases urinating and defecating in the surf and everywhere else, police on the take so the mexican mafia can strong arm locals and dictate the landscape and paying ridiculous prices for the priviledge then it should be ok.

Old 11-29-2009, 10:23 PM

1 posts, read 12,494 times
hi everyone - I am a Venice resident getting a kick out of some of the above replies - my guess is none of the above people commenting actually LIVE in a nice pocket of Venice. Venice is a truly wonderful, eclectic neighborhood. Like any beach spot bordering a city, yes there is crime and homeless people living on the street. However, it is all block to block as half of Venice is actually very safe and stunning. The walk streets, canals , abbot kinney area and Venice's Silver Triangle are all great. I live on a block AND pocket with ZERO crime and am surrounded by million dollar + homes. Sure, there are drug and gang activity in the slum of the Venice boardwalk but any resident knows not to go there. That is also true in Santa Monica and other areas - its called city life. You just need to know where to go and need to enjoy not living in yuppie ville. POSTERS: pls know the area before you blog

Old 01-03-2010, 07:06 PM

1 posts, read 12,229 times
I too live in or near Venice in walking distance in Marina Del Rey off Washington Bld. I am a single women and I enjoy long walks from Marina Del Rey up to Santa Monica on a regular. Like they say its best to stay off the beach late at night and if you live here and hang on the beach get to know the regulars they have your back. I came here knowing no one, I know just about everyone by name very friendly people. I wouldnt change it for any other place in L.A. The resturants on Washington are a great hang out at night and I found to be very safe at night. Enjoy, there is crime everywhere be careful and think smart.

Last edited by cookied; 01-03-2010 at 07:09 PM.. Reason: mis-spelled word
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or