U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 05:30 PM

9,321 posts, read 16,539,426 times

Advertisements

I went to Chaffey college to! In the early 70's. My dad taught Police Science at night. Do you remember the coyotes and the wonderful smells when you went up to the school. I loved Upland's little old town and the bakery there. I lived in one half of the upstairs of an old victorian house on 7th and got into waaaay too much trouble, but the best, very best memories. Sigh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2007, 08:35 PM

142 posts, read 515,292 times
Jill, I recall that it was typical
'Back to the Future' .. with the
orange groves, the trees, the lawns.
Euclid Ave. and that it hardly
cost anything to attend Chaffey,
but a great education.

Chaffey had an 'underground' sort
of a hang out.. like a snack bar.
You went down some stairs into this
cozy dark place, for refreshments.

Was that still there in the 70's? I
was long gone by then.

Old 03-05-2007, 10:00 PM

76 posts, read 255,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
Can you show me where those crappy million dollar houses are? Even CA is not that insane yet, I hope. What city was that?

this house is marketed at 1,070,000-1,230,000 3/1 1,111 sq ft in Norwalk

Old 03-06-2007, 12:39 AM

2,909 posts, read 12,972,954 times
[quote=dusesean1986;426950][quote=Need_affordable_home;426362]The lady living in Kansas hates the crime, although she misses the ocean and mountains. She says CA isnt worth it for the price. Funny I would like to live in CA too but the price keeps almost everyone away and the crime doesnt help either.
Quote:

I want to help clear up any uncertainties. California is enormous, some areas great, some areas mediocre, and some areas rough crime wise. But, the crime is not severe in most areas, because of California's large amount of cities and high wealth status. Yes, if you make a low income, you have a more substantial chance of living in a rougher area.

I find north CA is cheaper and safer and has really beautiful mountains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifmmmy View Post
and theres the problem.... in cali low income can be considered making almost 50,000 a year.. in order to afford a semi decent house and also afford to live there and have any kind of savings or money left over ..you should make at least 80,000 or more. is that reasonable ? not in my opinion.

LOL try $200k plus a year. I can show you a thread of a couple who was making $120k combined, got approved for $450k(which was too generous) and they are leaving CA as they cant afford a proper house in a safe neighboorhood. They currently rent but want their own house and own a piece of the American dream but arent "rich" enough in CA to achieve this.
I think its insane if you really need a $200k income to afford something decent on a tradational 30 year mortgage without being "house poor"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8 View Post
Regarding the question of "reasonable" or not? In a free-market capitalist system "reasonable" has nothing to do with it; market forces are the only things that matter. If the housing market in CA can sustain half-million-dollar shacks, then that's what they'll cost -- reasonable or not!

My question is: what are the market forces causing the high prices? My contention is that mortgage lenders play a heavy hand in it. Now the question becomes, what's to be done about that? Crack down on lenders somehow? How is this done without the appearance of government intervention in a free-market system? The banks will cry "foul" and send in their lawyers!

And in a free market, I the customer can "shop" around and find houses for very cheap. Lots of good deals out there in the northeast(OH, WV, PA) and several states in the midwest.

Old 03-06-2007, 12:41 AM

1,749 posts, read 7,667,437 times
I've found the areas with higher priced housing have more opportunities for making money. I left L.A. for a place with double the cost of living, I'm happy to return this month.

Old 03-06-2007, 12:53 AM

76 posts, read 255,229 times
gizmo how do you upload an image ? everytime i try its a link

Old 03-06-2007, 02:03 AM

29,041 posts, read 44,904,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
I find north CA is cheaper and safer and has really beautiful mountains.
I love Northern California too, especially around Arcata/Eureka... but unfortunately it has a terrible job market, gloomy weather (which I don't mind too much), no real businesses or entertainment, and is HOURS from any "real" cities. That's why it's so cheap!

Quote:
LOL try $200k plus a year. I can show you a thread of a couple who was making $120k combined, got approved for $450k(which was too generous) and they are leaving CA as they cant afford a proper house in a safe neighboorhood. They currently rent but want their own house and own a piece of the American dream but arent "rich" enough in CA to achieve this.
I think its insane if you really need a $200k income to afford something decent on a tradational 30 year mortgage without being "house poor"
That's not 100% true, if you do things right... I mentioned my friends earlier, who just bought a (nearly) $900K house on a $120K income. And my sister & brother-in-law earn a bit more, and own a beautiful townhouse in a great neighborhood! They're planning to move into a real house soon, and are looking in the $800-900K range. So it can certainly be done on these salaries, and even less... I'll be able to buy something in the near future, though probably nothing huge or fancy.

Oh, and while my friends mentioned above will be kinda "house poor", my sister is definitely not! She drives a luxury car, wears nice clothing, and they go on vacations (including overseas) at least 3-4 times a year... they're also expecting a baby right now, and have enough for one of them to take 1-2 years off when it's born.

Last edited by gizmo980; 03-06-2007 at 02:21 AM..

Old 03-06-2007, 02:46 AM

29,041 posts, read 44,904,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wifmmmy View Post
gizmo how do you upload an image ? everytime i try its a link
You can insert the image location (right-click & select "copy image location"), using the little picture icon above the text box... or you can just use html, with "[IMG][/IMG]" around the address. Does that make sense?

Old 03-06-2007, 05:02 AM

2,909 posts, read 12,972,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I love Northern California too, especially around Arcata/Eureka... but unfortunately it has a terrible job market, gloomy weather (which I don't mind too much), no real businesses or entertainment, and is HOURS from any "real" cities. That's why it's so cheap!
I guess you could live there when you retire or if you decide to become self employed.

That's not 100% true, if you do things right... I mentioned my friends earlier, who just bought a (nearly) $900K house on a $120K income. And my sister & brother-in-law earn a bit more, and own a beautiful townhouse in a great neighborhood! They're planning to move into a real house soon, and are looking in the $800-900K range. So it can certainly be done on these salaries, and even less... I'll be able to buy something in the near future, though probably nothing huge or fancy.

http://www.insanehouseprices.com/UnitedStates/California/cantafford1.html (broken link)

This lady also has a $120k dual income, got approved for $450k and cant afford anything decent. Great article about reality. What is meant by "do things right" in the article she said "no" to "creative financing" So if you can afford a house costing 7 or 8 times your salary, you either have a very, very big downpayment(50% or more down) and/or are taking "creative financing"

Quote:
Oh, and while my friends mentioned above will be kinda "house poor", my sister is definitely not! She drives a luxury car, wears nice clothing, and they go on vacations (including overseas) at least 3-4 times a year... they're also expecting a baby right now, and have enough for one of them to take 1-2 years off when it's born.

I wish I made enough money to enjoy the rich lifestyle your sister does! Maybe itll be a reality, I am doing the same type of business my friend who makes $10k a month is doing. If I can make at least $2k a month thats enough to get a nice big house in Oil city($50k houses). $5k a month will afford me an upper middle class huge luxury house with guesthouse($125k to $150k houses) and if I get really lucky and make $10k a month, might find myself living in a mansion It wont be anywhere in CA, cant get much even on $10k a month(thats $120k a year) without creative financing-no thanks. and I hate south Florida plus house prices are going down, I would lose equity if I stayed here!

Old 03-06-2007, 08:03 AM

436 posts, read 519,942 times
California has some of the most spectacular scenery and weather anywhere.

But..

One must worry about the increasingly unmanageable cost of California State and local government. Think about this - where are the massive numbers of ex-convicts being released from California's overflowing prisons going to live, what will they being doing after their release? Think about - how will the sub-prime borrowing debacle in California shakeout? And..how will California middle-class mortgage-paying homeowners handle a big, protracted decline in the economy? Who will provide California teacher/firefighter/law enforcement jobs with the shrinking employee pool of professional workers due to California cost-of-living expenses?
And..just how many bonds can a city/state issue to delay the payback of needed infrastructure? How long before California residents begin to see significant increases in their state taxes?
Think everything will work itself out favorably somehow? Yeah, right.
I've got a $450K 3/2 single family house in La Jolla to sell you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or