Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 11:03 PM

368 posts, read 1,329,063 times

Advertisements

How is the cost of living in Lancaster,CA,Im in Albuquerque,New Mexico now,are the houses some what affordable,how do families with jobs like costco and walmart pay a mortgage?any info on the Lancaster area would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2007, 03:43 PM

1,082 posts, read 3,778,988 times
Hi, I live in Palmdale next door to Lancaster. Lancaster is affordable as is Palmdale in comparison to other So Cal areas.
Stick to the West sides of both, less crime.
Do you know where you will be working, so I can be of more help...PM me if you like.
MBG

Old 03-05-2007, 09:27 PM

31 posts, read 201,764 times
Default Lancaster, CA info

I've lived in Lancaster for 20 yrs. and in the Antelope Valley since 1964 and sorry I can't say one good thing about it anymore. If you will do a search in this forum for Palmdale/Lancaster threads you will see that I am not alone in the opinion that this is NOT a good area to move to. I suppose the houses are still "affordable" as compared to metro LA but they are still expensive. I have no idea on how anyone with,for example, a minimum wage or slightly above retail job could ever afford to pay a mortgage here! Aircraft used to be the really good job here in it's heyday but even the pay for those jobs has not kept pace with the cost of housing. Most people that live here commute to LA, it's a killer. Our crime rate is very high, there are a lot of undesireable people, gangs etc. and even "nice" areas are not entirely immune from problems.The climate is high desert, long very hot summers, cold winter nights, persistent drought that is extremely bad this year.Don't just take my word for it, read up on this forum and other places so you can make an informed decision if this is really the place for you. Sue-Z

Old 03-17-2007, 01:55 AM

2 posts, read 19,277 times
stay in new mexico. you dont want to live here. its become la's dump site. there are far better, more afforadble places to live.

Old 03-17-2007, 03:04 AM

107 posts, read 1,007,609 times
ABQ is WAY WAY better than Palmdale/Lancaster The cost of living is more relative to salaries in ABQ, and it's much prettier.

Old 03-20-2007, 03:35 PM

9 posts, read 40,951 times
I have lived in the Antelope Valley for 41 years and the old girl ain't what it used to be. Housing prices START about $250K for a dump in gangland, high $300K to $400K for a tract home in an OK neighborhood. A lot of gangbangers, a lot of crime, and soon you won't even know this is a desert they are bulding tract homes by the hundreds up here. If you are working at Wal-Mart, Costco, you WILL NOT, repeat WILL NOT be agble to afford a home in a decent neighborhood unless you fall for one of those interest only loans, in which case you will soon be in foreclosure.
The weather is probably somewhat like ALQ, so that wouldn't affect you. But it's EXPENSIVE to buy a home here and this area is DONE FOR!!!! Bone up on your marksmanship should you decide to relocate here. Sorry for the bad news, but if check all the Palmdale/Lancaster threads, you'll see that most everyone will warn you away from here.

Old 03-20-2007, 04:57 PM

6 posts, read 35,561 times
Default Stay away - far, far away

I've lived here 30 years. Was born in Lancaster and have lived all over this area in these 30 years. I would advise anyone looking to move here to completely remove the thought from your mind. This place is an overpriced wasteland of meth addicts, drug dealers, gang bangers and the overall attitude of people here is "What do YOU want". I have had it and am moving up north to get out of this place FINALLY. Unfortunately, this place is like some kind of black hole because you can never REALLY leave. If you grew up here you always have to visit family and friends, so I won't really truly be able to escape. but at least I won''t have to deal with it ona day to day.
Sorry got carried away....

I would DEFINITELY avoid this place like the PLAGUE that it is!

Old 03-21-2007, 12:17 AM

1 posts, read 6,601 times
Stay away from Lancaster and Palmdale. We moved out a year and half ago from Seattle Washington and it was the biggest mistake we ever made. We are leaving this summer to go back. The schools are horrible. My kids go to Quartz Hill and it is so crowded, teachers and staff don't care. The principal just got beat up by their own security guard. The place is out of control. The crime is horrible. I won't go out at night if at all possible. I live on the west side by 70th and it is still crappy. I am originally from NY so I am not easily scared away but this place is horrible. We bought a new home and even if we lose money on it we are getting out. So my advice is stay away at all costs.

Old 03-21-2007, 02:09 AM

40 posts, read 262,955 times
i would try northern arizona you don't want to come to so cal
Quote:
Originally Posted by councilor j View Post
How is the cost of living in Lancaster,CA,Im in Albuquerque,New Mexico now,are the houses some what affordable,how do families with jobs like costco and walmart pay a mortgage?any info on the Lancaster area would be great.

Old 03-21-2007, 07:29 AM

989 posts, read 5,923,344 times
I have friends that left Palmdale/Lancaster Area because of crime problems, heat, and lack of things to do. This is "diversity" at it's worst. Many sick sick folks up there. Don't make their mistake yours! Avoid this area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California