Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2016, 09:50 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,468,523 times

Advertisements

This thread asks the question of those who live in CA and can't wait to move to the great state of Texas. Been to Dallas and the traffic is horrid. Been to Austin and it is a big "so what" town at 50% off home prices compared to the urban areas of CA. Gas is 30 cents less per gallon and property taxes are 250% higher than CA. (My son's 204k house is in Killeen TX and he pays $5000 a year in property taxes. We pay $2100 on our $220,000 house in CA.)

Mediocre scenery and during our present visit the weather has been 70* with 70% humidity. Except for those days when it drops to the mid 20s and the wind chill takes it to 9*. Actual for last week. Son said when he moved to Killeen last August they had 105* days with 80% humidity. Austin has basically the same weather and slightly better countryside.

So why is Texas such a "desirable" place compared to CA? Besides cheaper housing and the conservative politics.

Last edited by Mr5150; 12-24-2016 at 09:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2016, 09:53 PM

18,812 posts, read 32,258,091 times
LOL, goes to show, the grass is not always greener.

The only thing I've ever loved about Texas is Texans. Love the culture there, even though I'm Democrat and most Texans are Republicans. It's just a very lovely, friendly, neighborly, relaxed culture. If I ever had to leave CA and had to move somewhere with humidity and scorpions....I'd choose Texas.

Old 12-24-2016, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
LOL, goes to show, the grass is not always greener.

The only thing I've ever loved about Texas is Texans. Love the culture there, even though I'm Democrat and most Texans are Republicans. It's just a very lovely, friendly, neighborly, relaxed culture. If I ever had to leave CA and had to move somewhere with humidity and scorpions....I'd choose Texas.
Yea that matters and in our part of CA it is lovely and friendly. I love eastern CA! And yes I have noticed Texans are friendly, at least on the surface.

Last edited by Mr5150; 12-24-2016 at 10:09 PM..

Old 12-24-2016, 10:32 PM

8,243 posts, read 6,297,173 times
Because Calif. is ruled totally by Communists and it's going to get even worse if thats possible when Newson or DeLong get in.

Old 12-25-2016, 01:14 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,748,713 times
I get the appeal of Texas: Relaxed culture (generally), prosperous economy in the major cities, cheaper housing costs, and, yes, conservative politics (with which I identify far more than California's leftist loonfest).

As friendliness goes, which Texas is known for, rural Texans are generally friendly, at least on a superficial level. In fact, it's one of the friendliest groups of people in North America, especially the older folks--again, generally. Now, I'm not sure I'd consider the folks of Dallas/Ft. Worth, Austin, or Houston that **much** friendlier than the folks in L.A., the Bay, San Diego, or Sacramento (and, no one accuses California cities of being friendly, so this ought to shine some perspective).

Something else: L.A., the Bay Area, and San Diego are infinitely more vibrant, scenic, and multicultural than most places on the planet! Not to say that Dallas/Ft. Worth and Houston aren't vibrant and multicultural, because they are, but not as much as L.A. or the Bay; now, I can't say that D/FW and Houston are exactly "scenic." (Disclaimer: I'm not a fan of San Diego, but it is a major metropolis in its own right.)

And, then there's the weather...

I wouldn't rule out moving to Texas at some point. It's a nice place, all in all. I'm just not in a hurry to get there.

Old 12-25-2016, 01:19 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,128,267 times
Well what did your son reply to your question? He lives there... you only saw 2 cities that's like Texan judging Ca by San Diego and Los Angeles only.

Old 12-25-2016, 02:17 AM

1,838 posts, read 2,958,562 times
From someone who is now in Dallas from OC, there is absolutely nothing "desirable" about Texas.

Food sucks,

Shopping sucks,

Weather is unbearable heat/unpredictable it can drop to freezing then be 80 degrees the next 3 days.

Culture is nowhere to be found unless you forgo your identity and become a "Texan" and if you choose to not adhere to the Texas culture you will instantly be snubbed and treated like the outsider you obviously are.

Friendliness ummmm no! Passive aggressiveness? Absolutely.

Entertainment is blah unless you're a cowboys fan, nightlife is nonexistent.

The only quality if you really want to call it that is that you can come here and fake that you are more well off than you actually are. All you need to do is buy a luxury car and you're in. Also those with average looks would be considered beautiful here as there is a lot to be desired in the looks department for the women. The men are plain/boring and socially awkward.

Unless you're really going to save a significant amount of money, it would be a disservice to move from CA to Texas.

Old 12-25-2016, 02:52 AM

193 posts, read 167,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shysister View Post

The only quality if you really want to call it that is that you can come here and fake that you are more well off than you actually are. All you need to do is buy a luxury car and you're in. Also those with average looks would be considered beautiful here as there is a lot to be desired in the looks department for the women. The men are plain/boring and socially awkward.

Unless you're really going to save a significant amount of money, it would be a disservice to move from CA to Texas.
Pretty much it right there. This is why they vote Republican. Cause they "think" they're part of the 1%.

Old 12-25-2016, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Well what did your son reply to your question? He lives there... you only saw 2 cities that's like Texan judging Ca by San Diego and Los Angeles only.
Son is not there by choice. In the army posted at Ft Hood. Has no desire to stay in Texas.

Old 12-25-2016, 10:37 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,128,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Son is not there by choice. In the army posted at Ft Hood. Has no desire to stay in Texas.

My niece goes to Baylor U in Waco and also has no desire to live there permanently. She's a big city girl though and Waco definitely isn't big city. I like to visit Texas and love how state proud they are.. you see Texas stars and flags everywhere. It's also a lot cleaner in the downtown areas then here and I didn't see one homeless person in Austin. Not sure I'd live there but I can see the appeal. I'm more drawn to the desert and plan on moving to Tucson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California