U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 04:48 AM

26,362 posts, read 54,228,764 times
A lot of it had to do with WWII. There were numerous military bases and aircraft factories in Southern California built up in the 1940s. People came here on orders or for jobs. The sunny reputation, the jobs, the cheap land kept them here.

Also, Southern California is the backdrop of it seems most movies and TV shows. Lots of free advertising. People all over the world see this year round beach party, trafficless metropolis occupied by nothing but the rich and successful. Some guy in a cold state or foreign country points at his TV and says "That's where I want to live.". The sunny Rose Parades don't help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 07:31 AM

1,831 posts, read 3,556,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
its the nature of california. the rich come here to get richer and everyone else gets poorer and if they can manage they leave(middle class flight, or wrongly termed white flight)
How easily people forget. That middle class flight was flight where the middle class made a fortune ... fortunes they never would have made in any other state.

During the housing boom tons of middle class people sold their ordinary tract homes for hundreds of thousands of dollars, moved to cheaper places and pocketed a ton of cash ...

And a lot of them post on this board. Those middle class people did very, very well.

The only middle class people who got burned were the ones who bought into all of the real estate hype and paid/borrowed too much on their houses. But the smart ones took advantage and profited handsomely from it.

Last edited by sheri257; 01-02-2009 at 08:05 AM..

Old 01-02-2009, 08:06 AM
pll

924 posts, read 1,317,258 times
I haven't given it much thought. I guess because we are programmed early on to accept "out-of -towners" to our state. It is frustering that the housing prices went up so high that a lot of the natives had to go to other states to afford a decent home. Also, I have a hard time listening to them complain about our state. They could go back to where they came from.

Old 01-02-2009, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pll View Post
It is frustering that the housing prices went up so high that a lot of the natives had to go to other states to afford a decent home.
I lived in Colorado for two years moving from California. You hear similar comments from Colorado natives about Californians moving to Colorado (and probably in Oregon, Washington, Arizona, Idaho, Utah, and Nevada too).

http://billandkent.com/blog/blogimages/higgs-032305.jpg (broken link)

Ex-Californians get blamed for this:
http://www.boiseguardian.com/rooftops.jpg (broken link)

A few threads on other states' forums on Californians:

Are transplanted Californians welcome in Colorado Springs?

How do Texans feel about Californians moving there?

Who doesn't hate Californians??

us-vs-them-whats-hating-californians

Why Are So Many Californians Mean, Rude, and Snobby??

How do most Utahians perceive Californians

Why do people from Idaho lothe californians moving there.

Does Everyone Hate Us Californians?

Do you guys hate Californians too?

Blame Californians

Advice for Californians looking to move to Montana

Attitudes Towards Californians

Californians: Are You Tired of Getting Blamed?

Inconsiderate Californians

Ex-Californians draw Westerners' ire

Do Wyoming residents like or hate Californians

Californians have ruined Montana

Old 01-02-2009, 09:28 AM

3,475 posts, read 4,883,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Floridian View Post
Hello Friends -

When I lived in Los Angeles, and traveled throughout California is the 90s, I notice that the majority of people living in expensive communities were from another state (or even foreign countries), most notably New York. Beverly Hills, Bel Air, Malibu, Pacific Palisades, Newport Beach, Carmel, Marin County, La Jolla to name a few. And hardly ever did I meet any LA natives,........
How would you define California natives? If you're white, perhaps you've been there for 2 ~ 3 generations? I doubt many can trace back to the gold rush days. These "transplants" will becomes California "natives" in a couple of generations.

Perhaps you're Mexican, then you can "reclaim" the land back from the gringos !

Old 01-02-2009, 09:49 AM

1,831 posts, read 3,556,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
This one is ridiculous. Montana has such a small population that maybe it seemed like Californians were ruining it but ...

The fact is: in-migration has been significantly down in Montana since 2000. Less people have been moving there, not more.

http://www.census.gov/prod/2006pubs/p25-1135.pdf

If Californians were really moving there in large numbers, you would seen higher in-migration, not lower.

Oh well ... they do love to blame us Californians for everything ... even when we're not there.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:11 AM

5,031 posts, read 8,025,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I lived in Colorado for two years moving from California. You hear similar comments from Colorado natives about Californians moving to Colorado (and probably in Oregon, Washington, Arizona, Idaho, Utah, and Nevada too).

Ex-Californians get blamed for this:

A few threads on other states' forums on Californians:

Are transplanted Californians welcome in Colorado Springs?

How do Texans feel about Californians moving there?

Who doesn't hate Californians??

us-vs-them-whats-hating-californians

Why Are So Many Californians Mean, Rude, and Snobby??

How do most Utahians perceive Californians

Why do people from Idaho lothe californians moving there.

Does Everyone Hate Us Californians?

Do you guys hate Californians too?

Blame Californians

Advice for Californians looking to move to Montana

Attitudes Towards Californians

Californians: Are You Tired of Getting Blamed?

Inconsiderate Californians

Ex-Californians draw Westerners' ire

Do Wyoming residents like or hate Californians

Californians have ruined Montana
Damn Charles, what a bummer that so many people hate Californian's

The housing bubble created an outflow of both well-off & struggling Californians into other mostly "sun belt" states. Vegas is practically a suburb of LA as well as Phoenix, Boulder\ Santa Fe\ Austin, etc. Now people leave looking for better economics in a serious recession\ depression. The shift of people has meant foreign relocation to California including Russians\ Sacramento, Armenians\ Glendale\ people from India\ China-Taiwan\ Iran\ Philippines\ Korea &, naturally, Mexico.

Widowmaker2k pointed out how the rural & mountainous regions are mostly native Californians. Where my ancestors settled in the late 1800's was the Sacramento valley & Trinity county & married into Latino families on established ranchos. Many still live up there [even in Orland ] & love it. The boredom, however, would drive me nuts [maybe I will eventually move back to Chico myself when I retire someday]. Small valley towns aren't for everybody, though.

But I love the diversity of cultures\ food & the fact that Anglos are a large "minority" among other minorities.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post

Widowmaker2k pointed out how the rural & mountainous regions are mostly native Californians.
This might be one of those statistical anomalies.

The rural areas are like 90% natives...

...but their density is the same as in LA, like 10 natives per square mile.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:29 AM

5,112 posts, read 11,799,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheri257 View Post

The only middle class people who got burned were the ones who bought into all of the real estate hype and paid/borrowed too much on their houses. But the smart ones took advantage and profited handsomely from it.
I don't agree. Not every middle class individual owns property. Some middle class people made some cash during the boom, yes, but I'm willing to bet they were not leaving solely for money. Young people like me who missed the tech bubble and housing boom because we were still in school got royally screwed in the matter. I'm leaving because it will take me many years to save up for a down payment(if I want to go that route instead of FHA, which means drastically higher payments due to more principle) to live in an area thats not in the desert and has schools I approve of. I don't feel like pissing all my money away in rent either.

The middle class is still fleeing, and so are the young. It's too expensive for those who do not own property to purchase property, and that results in people leaving, because they can afford it in other major cities.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:40 AM

5,031 posts, read 8,025,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
I don't agree. Not every middle class individual owns property. Some middle class people made some cash during the boom, yes, but I'm willing to bet they were not leaving solely for money. Young people like me who missed the tech bubble and housing boom because we were still in school got royally screwed in the matter. I'm leaving because it will take me many years to save up for a down payment(if I want to go that route instead of FHA, which means drastically higher payments due to more principle) to live in an area thats not in the desert and has schools I approve of. I don't feel like pissing all my money away in rent either.

The middle class is still fleeing, and so are the young. It's too expensive for those who do not own property to purchase property, and that results in people leaving, because they can afford it in other major cities.
But as you have pointed out, middle-class does not have to mean home ownership. Many people rent & more will rent in years to come because LA has rent control & renter protections.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California