Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 07:53 PM

268 posts, read 897,175 times

Advertisements

Hello Friends -

When I lived in Los Angeles, and traveled throughout California is the 90s, I notice that the majority of people living in expensive communities were from another state (or even foreign countries), most notably New York. Beverly Hills, Bel Air, Malibu, Pacific Palisades, Newport Beach, Carmel, Marin County, La Jolla to name a few. And hardly ever did I meet any LA natives, maybe a few in the SF Valley, like tract housing in the west SF Valley, and great simple folks too! I love native Californians because they remind me of native Floridians. All this said, how do you native Californians feel when you see your most expensive and prized land under ownership of out of state, and out country people?

Curious minds want to know.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2009, 07:55 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,694,074 times
its the nature of california. the rich come here to get richer and everyone else gets poorer and if they can manage they leave(middle class flight, or wrongly termed white flight)

Old 01-01-2009, 08:10 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,460,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Floridian View Post
I notice that the majority of people living in expensive communities were from another state (or even foreign countries), most notably New York. Beverly Hills, Bel Air, Malibu, Pacific Palisades, Newport Beach, Carmel, Marin County, La Jolla to name a few. And hardly ever did I meet any LA natives, maybe a few in the SF Valley, like tract housing in the west SF Valley, and great simple folks too!
I totally noticed and notice this. On Saturdays I and lots of other dads would take kids to Lang Ranch Park in Thousand Oaks in the late 1990s, early 2000s. Just about every other dad there was from somewhere else. They were wearing their filthy red sox or yankees caps or they were from China or the Middle East. None I ever met were from the SF Valley where I grew up.
Last week I took my kids to De Anza park in Calabasas. Seemed like everyone there was from the Middle East. Similar experience at the Calabasas Tennis and Swim Center.

How did I feel? Are they carpetbaggers? Can't really call them that. But it does feel like an invasion. I really didn't like going to Dodger met games at Dodger Stadium and being totally outnumber by new yawkers; same with the red sox or yankees at Anaheim Stadium.

But, it's a free country. You want the best country, you got to invite the best and the brightest. For every one genius East or West Asian entering this country and enrolling in our best grad schools, there are 10,000 of them working in the rice fields.

Think about who put a man on the moon.

(image not protected by copyright)

Last edited by Charles; 01-01-2009 at 09:22 PM..

Old 01-01-2009, 09:05 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,781,146 times
Quote:
All this said, how do you native Californians feel when you see your most expensive and prized land under ownership of out of state, and out country people?
It doesn't bother me, because it isn't my land. I'm just a simple middle class schlub living in South Fontana. I own my two pieces of the dream, they own what they own, and never the twain shall meet.

Old 01-01-2009, 09:09 PM

764 posts, read 2,025,522 times
Quote:
All this said, how do you native Californians feel when you see your most expensive and prized land under ownership of out of state, and out country people?
I'm not sure that it's true, but even if it is, it doesn't bother me at all. No one can control where they are born--why should that factor into where they choose to live? If you can afford it, more power to you.

Old 01-01-2009, 09:52 PM

268 posts, read 897,175 times
All that prime mountain terrain from East Hollywood Hills all the way out west past the SD Freeway, even all the way to Malibu... a lot of New Yorkers, and jewish I might add, and generally strange people, and entertainment folks, etc. How many people were born and raised in Malibu? 1, maybe 2?

Old 01-01-2009, 10:19 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,108,803 times
my wife has some cousins that were born and raised in malibu. both of her parents (divorced) also live in the thousand oaks area and were born and raised in the valley. the majority of people i have met in the TO area are from CA.

Old 01-02-2009, 12:17 AM

5,032 posts, read 12,571,364 times
Quote:
All that prime mountain terrain from East Hollywood Hills all the way out west past the SD Freeway, even all the way to Malibu... a lot of New Yorkers, and jewish I might add, and generally strange people, and entertainment folks, etc. How many people were born and raised in Malibu? 1, maybe 2?
To be frank, I find your posts in the California forum to be racist & provocative [quite un-Californian California is a world destination less concerned about parochial insecurities in favor of innovation & diversity.

Old 01-02-2009, 01:04 AM

764 posts, read 2,025,522 times
Quote:
Okay, if this is the case (and this is still just anecdotal evidence you're providing)...I still don't have a problem with it. Are people supposed to live their entire lives right where they were born? You've stated that you have not, so I assume you don't have a problem with people moving around.

My anecdotal evidence is that my relatives in friends who live in Carmel and Newport Beach (since you specifically listed those 2 cities) are all CA natives. But they aren't more deserving of living there because of that fact.

Also, what you view as "prime" land (I'll agree that it is expensive), but not be "prime" to everyone. You couldn't pay me to live in the specific area you mentioned in your post.

Old 01-02-2009, 05:41 AM

1,020 posts, read 2,747,263 times
Well, as you said, most of the folks who aren't from California move here to live in the suburbs, which to me, is far from our most beautiful land. The rural areas (the Sierra Nevada, Cascades, Coast Ranges) are mostly inhabited by native Californians, and in my opinion, constitute the areas with the most striking natural beauty. There are certainly some exceptions to the rule, but I think many folks that move to California want to be in/near a major city, and thus miss out on a huge part of our natural beauty. Why is this? Well, for starters, I think most individuals who wish to move to a different state, and wish to live in a rural area, immediately check California off the list (for a number of reasons, mostly having to do with prevailing national stereotypes about CA). Thus, rural Californians tend to be native Californians, who often times have a lot of family history in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California