Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2010, 12:32 AM

7 posts, read 14,237 times

Advertisements

LA.. very crowded. i just take a chance and say that it is better to choose SB (lovely place with good atmosphere)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 08:14 AM

599 posts, read 1,652,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorback_06 View Post
It sounds like you have a personal problem. May I suggest Scranton, PA.
Why Scranton?

Old 07-05-2010, 08:13 AM

1,199 posts, read 1,648,111 times
I was in SB for a couple years in the late '80's. Nice weather. IMHO that was the best thing about it... Oops, my mis-speak. Met my wife there, which is the best thing that ever happened to me. To bad she wants to move back now. I don't think I will...

Old 07-05-2010, 02:15 PM

767 posts, read 1,743,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelinala View Post
And it's making me want to leave California for good. I adored San Francisco, so maybe I'll just go back up there for my next job.
In one sentence, you want to leave CA for good and in the next, you want to live there.

I think this typifies the "I want to leave CA.. I don't like CA" attitude. It's often based on one city or one regional experience while ignoring the rest..

The OP's epiphany in the next sentence- that there is more than one region of CA- is sadly rare as most people stop thinking after the first sentence and the rest of the post is just a diatribe.

Old 07-05-2010, 04:39 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,706,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine728 View Post
Stanford is about 30 miles from San Francisco.. so was it Palo Alto that you loved or SF?
I thought the same thing reading this. Palo Alto is quite nice but what is the OP really comparing? It doesn't sound like it's SF

Old 09-11-2010, 06:43 PM

1 posts, read 2,350 times
When I moved to SB I also did not like the city at all... but for totally different reasons: it's small, fairly conservative, not very racially diverse. Let#s put it this way: it's too white! That#s the problem with SB. You can't compare it with LA or SF. SB doesn't even have 200,000 people living in it! I like big cities with people from different ethnic and racial backgrounds, so SB was not it. However, I got to make great friends there overtime. the good thing is: you meet tons of people in SB that hate SB, so there is solidarity going on, especially among graduate students...!
Yes, the beach is not clean... but considering how cold the water is, I wouldn't swim in Cali anyways.
As a UCSB student I must disagree with you on the campus: have you even looked inside the buildings? How is the U-cen run down, how is the engineering/marine biology buildings ugly and cheap? The lagoon in front of the beach is beautiful... UCSB campus is a good place to read, study, and focus away from the hokus-pokus. Now, of course there is poverty in SB... what did you expect? And trash in State Street get polished every day in the early morning... of course by Mexican immigrants. Same thing with the houses in Montecito.... the poor are always there where the rich use their services, for cheap.
And you seem to be a myopic arrogant elitist yourself actually, so I wonder why you don't like SB. It should be the perfect place for you!!! Not sure about your "dumb" comment, what you affirm seems all quite dumb to me.

Old 09-11-2010, 07:48 PM

514 posts, read 686,633 times
Quote:
not very racially diverse. Let#s put it this way: it's too white! That#s the problem with SB
That is why it has such a great hispanic gang problem?
Quote:
but considering how cold the water is, I wouldn't swim in Cali anyways
Cali has no beach, it is inland.

Old 09-12-2010, 12:33 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,316,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Yea the thread seems insane. Sb is lovely.
I loved living there.

Old 09-13-2010, 07:40 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,757,364 times
Santa Barbara beats San Francisco in my mind. More nice people in the central coast, the beaches r nicer in my mind, and the shopping is decent for the size of the city. The school is awesome compared to others and doesn't matter if the campus looks old because the education is what counts. The people might be weird there because it's a college controlled economy. I guess you don't like college towns?

Old 10-10-2010, 01:27 PM

84 posts, read 293,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
Flint Michigan
Yazoo City Mississippi

Yeah - go to Scranton, PA! lol

Last edited by ghost123; 10-10-2010 at 01:28 PM.. Reason: wrong answer to the wrong poster
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California