U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 11:23 AM

15,237 posts, read 25,519,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA central coast View Post
?????????? Santa Barbara is one of the most beautiful places in the world. I don't get that post. SF is a beautiful city, but it's huge. You can't compare SB and SF. On the overrated scale, Malibu far outweighs Santa Barbara. I agree with Malibu. You want to talk overrated. Did you take a look at Montecido? For a city of 100-150K? Tell me a better place.
Montecito???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 11:25 AM

I personally, love Santa Barbara. If you don't like it, why not make like a tree and leave??? Is someone holding a gun to your head forcing you to stay there?

Old 01-06-2009, 11:26 AM

5,031 posts, read 8,201,341 times
I smell a troll It's like bitching over a perfectly cooked steak because you are in a foul mood. I can't imagine what you would think of Big Sur\ Yosemite\ Lake Tahoe\ La Jolla.

Sounds like California is too ugly for you or is it the opposite?

Old 01-06-2009, 01:14 PM

567 posts, read 1,697,661 times
Take the bitterness to www.50statesforum.com they do not mind it there.

Old 01-06-2009, 01:21 PM

5,251 posts, read 5,434,848 times
I think you shoud consider a city more to your liking. You already made it in California, why downsize to a city like Indiana or Pennsylvania like the other users suggested?? I would consider other great California cities like Sacramento, Murrieta, San Jose, San Diego, San Francisco. I wouldn't move out of Cali just yet. Your already used to the high cost of living. You don't want to leave and then consider moving back and then it becomes an impossible choice like ALOT of others have done. I realize California may drive some crazy but seriously, you don't know what you have until you ultimately lose it. You need to think about all this very carefully before you make any hasty decisions you may regret later on.

Old 01-06-2009, 02:13 PM

10,514 posts, read 14,008,185 times
It is such a terrible place in Santa Barbara. That is why many people pay $1,000,000 for a home built in the 1950's or older because they love living in a discusting place like Santa Barbara. That place is so bad that people from all over spend the weekend there just so they can see all the homeless people. All the stars that have homes in the area that could live any place in the world but choose to live in Santa Barbara do it only because they can't stand the fact that they have made it in life and choose to assocate themselves with a run down community such as Santa Barbara. Although Oprah lives has a home in Montecito next to Santa Barbara she only moved there to make a statement that she has the ability to dump ten's of millions of dollars on a run down dump of a place that sits on 40 plus acres of unwanted wasteland with a view of our filthy area beaches belching out tar all over the wet sand. And another thing to have to look out into the ocean at the seven sisters that pump oil all day and night obstructing our perfect view of the Channel Islands is a horrible thing as well. What were the oil companies thinking puttung those ugly little girls out there in the channel to pump out that oil that is related to the tar on the beaches in the area? Why would anyone live here in this part of the world is beyond me. I just hate it when my wife wants to take a trip to the Santa Barbara zoo with the kids and we are forced to have lunch on one of the many park benches with that sorry view of the Pacific Ocean and all those boats parked out there and that ugly piece of wood they call a wharf. Wish that it was cold and dreary like other parts of the world but to top it off I am forced to sit there in the 70 degree weather on a sunny day in December. (Maybe not this December.) Don't get me started about the shopping on State Street or around that area of town or about all the clubs that are in the area. Where is the Wal-Mart, or other civilized places? Why all the quaint shopps and out of the way one of a kind stores? Who wants to see that kind of stuff? And anpother thing why is it that the area has so many up scale car dealerships? How is it that the homeless can afford to buy those cars? I could go on and on about how bad it is to live in Santa Barbara. Terrible place.

Old 01-06-2009, 03:55 PM

1,634 posts, read 4,299,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Montecito???
my spelling?

Old 01-06-2009, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA central coast View Post
my spelling?
I'm just keeping ya on your toes.

Old 01-06-2009, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
It is such a terrible place in Santa Barbara. That is why many people pay $1,000,000 for a home built in the 1950's or older because they love living in a discusting place like Santa Barbara. That place is so bad that people from all over spend the weekend there just so they can see all the homeless people. All the stars that have homes in the area that could live any place in the world but choose to live in Santa Barbara do it only because they can't stand the fact that they have made it in life and choose to assocate themselves with a run down community such as Santa Barbara. Although Oprah lives has a home in Montecito next to Santa Barbara she only moved there to make a statement that she has the ability to dump ten's of millions of dollars on a run down dump of a place that sits on 40 plus acres of unwanted wasteland with a view of our filthy area beaches belching out tar all over the wet sand. And another thing to have to look out into the ocean at the seven sisters that pump oil all day and night obstructing our perfect view of the Channel Islands is a horrible thing as well. What were the oil companies thinking puttung those ugly little girls out there in the channel to pump out that oil that is related to the tar on the beaches in the area? Why would anyone live here in this part of the world is beyond me. I just hate it when my wife wants to take a trip to the Santa Barbara zoo with the kids and we are forced to have lunch on one of the many park benches with that sorry view of the Pacific Ocean and all those boats parked out there and that ugly piece of wood they call a wharf. Wish that it was cold and dreary like other parts of the world but to top it off I am forced to sit there in the 70 degree weather on a sunny day in December. (Maybe not this December.) Don't get me started about the shopping on State Street or around that area of town or about all the clubs that are in the area. Where is the Wal-Mart, or other civilized places? Why all the quaint shopps and out of the way one of a kind stores? Who wants to see that kind of stuff? And anpother thing why is it that the area has so many up scale car dealerships? How is it that the homeless can afford to buy those cars? I could go on and on about how bad it is to live in Santa Barbara. Terrible place.
Please don't go any further - it sounds terrible enough already!!!

Old 01-06-2009, 05:23 PM

56 posts, read 214,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
There aren't any upscale car dealerships here that aren't in any other city in America. I have lived all over the country and they are everywhere, so don't feel special. They are all small & the service is overpriced. I have an Audi and can't believe the horrible service I received @ the dinky dealership.

Oprah lives on an estate, it's not like she lives in one of the neighborhoods with overpriced small ugly homes.

For such a small city, yes I am very surprised that the downtown is mainly a hang out for homeless people. In larger cities that is expected.

As for the shopping, it sucks. Luckily they have a Nordstrom & Saks, but they are both pretty disappointing in size & selection.

I love California in general. I just hate this city. I think it's very overrated and it didn't meet my expectations. Lake Tahoe is beautiful as is the entire bay area. I was just venting.

And I'm not alone. Most of the other travel nurses I work with say it's very boring and don't like it here either. Hate to burst your little bubble.

The restaurants downtown aren't any good either. The one restaurant, Bouchon, that is suppose to be wonderful...isn't. What a waste of $200! Not to mention bad service. Another overrated & overpriced place here in Santa Barbara. Just like the disgusting "taco stand" La Super Rica!

Oh and I forgot to mention something This ugly place is called the Mediterranean of America? Please.

But, like I said earlier, maybe if you're retired you will like it. I do see a lot of old men with wives clearly 20-30 years their junior here. Kind of funny to watch, but I guess this is the norm here? So pathetic.

And, yes I am forced to be here under contract. I'm hoping I can try Laguna Hills next assignment or go back to San Fran. What do you think? Thanks for the replies btw All very helpful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California