Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 01:50 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times

Advertisements

Oh and by the way, Audi is an entry level luxery car at best. Ranks right up there with the Lexus, Inffinity, Cadilac, and some other cars. I would bet that of the two models that could be considered more than entry level, you haven't the cash for those.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 09:50 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,463,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelinala View Post
I've heard Laguna is very pretty. Heard it's kinda artsy & has great shopping. Do you think this is true? Or will I be bored like I am in SB?
Laguna Beach is diffent from Laguna Hills.

Beach is a very nice, artsy, cosmopolitan town. It is OC Gay's enclave and very expensive to live in. It is a bit seperated from the rest of OC by a 20 minute or so drive thru laguna canyon. Real Estate and rents will be expensive like SB, but I think you'll find the area weathered but much less run down.

Hills is located just over the hills from Beach and is a typical south Orange County upper middle class suburb. It is also near "Leisure World" (AKA Seizure world) a major retirement community, so I think you could easily find lots of work for a traveling nurse there.

One big difference is you'll be near other things. SB is 2ish hours from anything else. From Laguna you can get to Newport Beach, Costa Mesa, etc in 25-30 minutes. The rest of OC is also near by. San Diego is about 1.25-.5 hours away, Same for LA (with no traffic).

Old 01-08-2009, 12:46 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,836,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngmoney View Post
Is there even a WalMart in SB?
Wow. Just...wow. Really not getting what SB is about, are we? Are people confusing the soap opera for the real thing?

Back to our original hater -
Now, State St. might have some bums (lots of Cali towns have 'em, esp. in the winter), but...you apparently 'adored' SF of all places, the mecca of abusive homeless jerks? There is some funk around downtown SB, due to some old houses and/or poor landlords, but it almost sounds like you're describing Isla Vista, and the students there pretty much expect it, anyway. As long as there is a beach. Surely one would not confuse the two locales.

Now relax. Or keep looking for perfection whilst grinding that massive axe.

Last edited by bigdumbgod; 01-08-2009 at 01:02 AM..

Old 01-08-2009, 10:46 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,075,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelinala View Post
I've heard Laguna is very pretty. Heard it's kinda artsy & has great shopping. Do you think this is true? Or will I be bored like I am in SB?
Whether or not you'll be bored is up to you! But if you like the cookie-cutter sameness, manicured and perfectly groomed look that is most of south Orange County, I can understand why you don't like Santa Barbara.

Mostly, you just sound disgruntled. What is it you're after in life?

Old 01-08-2009, 11:02 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,075,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngmoney View Post
Is there even a WalMart in SB? ... There are more quirky people there than Orange County, and it has more of a liberal feel likely due to the college.

I would move to Laguna Hills in a heartbeat. ...
Pretty much says it all. Clue: Santa Barbara is NOT south Orange County! Although, with ultra-conservative Tony Strickland winning the last election, one wonders what's next for SB?

Old 01-08-2009, 01:01 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
Pretty much says it all. Clue: Santa Barbara is NOT south Orange County! Although, with ultra-conservative Tony Strickland winning the last election, one wonders what's next for SB?
Great things if he can get the legislature to change their ways. Unfortunatly he is only one guy and the majority up in Sacramento are not on his side. Maybe after Arnold leaves office we can get a real Republican to run the place. Tony would do. Also heard talk that someone wants Mitt Romney to move out here and run for either that position or the Senate seat.

Old 01-08-2009, 01:53 PM

676 posts, read 3,075,313 times
I am surprised for being a nurse in the medical profession Prozac hasn't been suggested???? I think it sounds like someone may be battling depression or at least a case of winter blues....I was born and raised in SB and have moved away to NC. Around the time I left, I couldn't understand why people would be willing to pay 1 million+ for small houses, but now that I am gone I get it! Trust me, I think there are parts of living in SB that are overrated and difficult, but the natural beauty of the landscape is amazing. I think once you get into that negative thinking about a place, it is hard to see the good. It may take you leaving and going somewhere truly horrible before you see the beauty in SB.

Old 01-08-2009, 02:30 PM

572 posts, read 2,485,884 times
Try spending a few months as a nurse in Lake Havasu you might like it. Yes there are a few openings and its cheaper there. You will love it!!!! My Home (http://www.newtohavasu.net/ - broken link)

Old 01-08-2009, 04:36 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,025,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enlightenme View Post
I am surprised for being a nurse in the medical profession Prozac hasn't been suggested???? I think it sounds like someone may be battling depression or at least a case of winter blues....I was born and raised in SB and have moved away to NC. Around the time I left, I couldn't understand why people would be willing to pay 1 million+ for small houses, but now that I am gone I get it! Trust me, I think there are parts of living in SB that are overrated and difficult, but the natural beauty of the landscape is amazing. I think once you get into that negative thinking about a place, it is hard to see the good. It may take you leaving and going somewhere truly horrible before you see the beauty in SB.
Yes ... some place like Texas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Great things if he can get the legislature to change their ways. Unfortunatly he is only one guy and the majority up in Sacramento are not on his side. Maybe after Arnold leaves office we can get a real Republican to run the place. Tony would do. Also heard talk that someone wants Mitt Romney to move out here and run for either that position or the Senate seat.

Old 01-09-2009, 12:45 AM

268 posts, read 899,849 times
SB is highly overrated...

Been there many times; homeless people, snobby super/wealthy (more money than brains i.e Opray), college kids, burnouts and retired surfers turned artists like Tom Curren. Move to LA or back to SF and you'll be happy.

My two cents
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California