Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 04:47 PM

350 posts, read 1,117,620 times

Advertisements

Hope you enjoy your visit. I was born in Merced and still have family there. There is beautiful foothill country close by. You can visit the gold country (Mariposa, Sonora, Columbia), there are wine tours not far from Merced in Madera County where I live (about 30 miles), Fresno has great shopping and restaurants and is about 50 minutes from Merced. You have to visit Yosemite of course. Merced isn't a bad town, just small and experiencing a lot of gang activity. If you have time to drive, you might want to check out San Francisco or head to the coast (Santa Cruz) Good luck and have fun! What part of KY are you from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 04:48 PM

Sorry - I mean Tennessee.

Old 01-13-2009, 06:29 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,321,489 times
Thank you everyone for all the info, I do appreciate it. I am looking forward to the trip not only to see a little bit of CA but to get a break! hahahahaha
I will be sure to come back to this thread when we get back and let everyone know what we did and thought of the area.
momojojo, I live in North East TN, in the Tri-Cities area. It is a 60 miles span in the foot hills of the Smoky Mountains in between NC and VA. It is kind of tough going on vacation because we are lucky enough to live in a very beautiful part of the country that we enjoy very much.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:53 PM

Default Tennessee

We're thinking about retiring back there somewhere. We're looking at the Texas Hill Country, North Carolina, Kentucky & Tennessee. Do you get a lot of snow? Snow is for the young and the rich, if you know what I mean. We're looking for small town USA, with beautiful countryside, friendly people, good quality of life, simple things. I hope we find it.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:47 PM

Check out the Tn forums, lots of great info!
Nope, not much snow at all. Personally wish there was more, but not rich nor young LOL!!!

Old 01-13-2009, 09:54 PM

764 posts, read 2,037,178 times
Down toward Madera (about 30 minutes from Merced) there are some wineries you can check out. They are small-scale, but offer great personal tours.

Madera Wine Trail

Old 01-14-2009, 07:30 AM

This wino thanks you for that link,

Old 02-18-2009, 02:45 PM

2 posts, read 6,555 times
mbmouse. I live in Atwater and can tell you everything you need to know. Except for some pockets, Merced itself is riddled with gang activity and a mecca of foreclosed homes. Not to say it's the worst place in the world but definitely a good gauge at what's wrong with California. The few hotels that do exist are ok accomodations but I wouldn't be walking around at night. Downtown is another area where businesses have come and gone and the city is in a constant state of trying to preserve its charm. The whole area is one of those places where it wouldn't be remotely on your radar if you were looking for places to visit.

With that said, I've lived in Atwater for 8 years and call it my home. Despite it drawbacks, the area has been very good to me. Most people that live in the area would rather live in Atwater than Merced. I think because Atwater is more family friendly. Get back to me if you want to know anymore.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:48 AM

198 posts, read 654,042 times
Atwater is the best town in Merced County, CHP is awfull there, speed traps EVERYWHERE
Im guessing his work is at the federal prison?
Its nice in the summer, everybody comes out and the rivers there make good places to go
Shaffer Bridge has a party just about every night with lots of jumpers.
Definitely go see Angels Camp (frog town) or bear valley.

Old 02-19-2009, 04:30 PM

Default We are back!

Well, so we went to Merced and drove into Atwater a few times a day. This was a work trip after all. Merced is actually a pretty nice town from what I saw, looks like there is an effort to revitalize. There were some odd things that I noticed, first of all the roads and the way they are laid out...very strange and not that easy to navigate. Second, customer service in every place we went into, whether it was a store or restaurant was VERY good, very polite. However no one said hello to anyone at all in the parking lot or sidewalk, however once you walk into the building, was like an attitude change. Not sure about what that is about?
I found out I am allergic to Central CA. I don't normally have allergies but when I got off the plane in Fresno my sinuses filled immediately and just now getting "un stuffed"
Drove into Sacramento to see a friend twice...yea that was interesting, the roads! They are everywhere and everyone was flying...kinda fun.

It was an interesting trip, but I agree, not a destination spot by any means.
Thank you all though for all the info. It was very helpful for our trip! But I have to admit, it was great to touch down back in my TN!
OH! and the Ramada in Merced...stay away! Nasty, we ended up canceling our reservation, got a full refund and went around the corner to the new Hampton Inn and everyone there was super nice and it was a nice place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California